Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
If you bought your child a ‘scotch’ coat
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:47 am
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
Omg my mind is boggled
Forgive my naivety, but all you people who are paying $150-180 for a child's coat, that he/she will outgrow in [insert small number] years, are you for real?
Do you like, pay full tuition? And tzedaka? And tell your parents your ok without their support?
When you read the Jewish publications that tell about the frum world who are being crushed by the weight of cost of living and tuition, do you consider yourself one of us?
I hope you are spending money you have, and not paying $180 for a stupid coat at the expense of other more important things.

Yes, I pay full tuition, give tzedaka and don't get any support from my parents.

I also don't buy these coats.

But that's really none of your business.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
It’s the exact same company, they produce an economy option and a higher end one.

You're serious?
Cozy Coop is owned by Scotch Bonnet?

Zehava

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
Yes, I pay full tuition, give tzedaka and don't get any support from my parents.

And yeah, same

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:54 am
Omg my mind is boggled
Forgive my naivety, but all you people who are paying $150-180 for a child's coat, that he/she will outgrow in [insert small number] years, are you for real?
Do you like, pay full tuition? And tzedaka? And tell your parents your ok without their support?
When you read the Jewish publications that tell about the frum world who are being crushed by the weight of cost of living and tuition, do you consider yourself one of us?
I hope you are spending money you have, and not paying $180 for a stupid coat at the expense of other more important things.

$180 is nothing. What about the people who buy genuine (not Ali) $800 Moncler coats for their growing children?

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:58 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
$180 is nothing. What about the people who buy genuine (not Ali) $800 Moncler coats for their growing children?

You're right
Sorry my post was a little harsh, due to unfiltered shock, but I know that people buy luxury items, and can afford it BH.
I think I'm somewhat bitter because dh and I work so hard, and never know how we'll pay the next bill. I wish someone would offer to buy my 2 girls each 2 Shabbos dresses. We don't have the money, and they're wearing weird hands me downs that they wore last year.
It's hard for me to understand how people throw money toward such overpriced designer things, without giving a hoot to the community around them. Not that you need to pay for my kids clothes, but I'm just wondering if you realize that people like us exist.

amother
Darkblue

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:02 am

Same. I do agree that it is sad that people feel the need to spend so much money on their children's clothing, but it is not really my business since I am not funding it. It is wrong however, if those same people are not paying full tuition and making others cover for them so that they can live a standard that they cannot afford.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:08 am
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
Same. I do agree that it is sad that people feel the need to spend so much money on their children's clothing, but it is not really my business since I am not funding it. It is wrong however, if those same people are not paying full tuition and making others cover for them so that they can live a standard that they cannot afford.

Thank you
My thoughts exactly

Zehava

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:10 am
You're right
Sorry my post was a little harsh, due to unfiltered shock, but I know that people buy luxury items, and can afford it BH.
I think I'm somewhat bitter because dh and I work so hard, and never know how we'll pay the next bill. I wish someone would offer to buy my 2 girls each 2 Shabbos dresses. We don't have the money, and they're wearing weird hands me downs that they wore last year.
It's hard for me to understand how people throw money toward such overpriced designer things, without giving a hoot to the community around them. Not that you need to pay for my kids clothes, but I'm just wondering if you realize that people like us exist.

I’m sorry for what you’re going through

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:34 am
Zehava wrote:
We don’t all live in Lakewood, land of skyrocketing tuition, kollel, and parental support. Some of us work for a living and send to schools that don’t request half our salary to teach our kids.

Lakewood is actually on the cheaper end in terms of tuition…

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:40 am
Dear amother above

I also don’t buy these coats.
Mainly bec I don’t feel it’s important or adds good values in my kids.
Gap and land snd coats can be super warm and purchased end of season for $20 or less. And they last year after year and can be passed down many times.
I find it interesting how just a few years ago the gap coat was the expensive coat at full price.
I feel our level of luxuries has shifted very quickly.
I know the pressures for some to purchase is tremendous.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:41 am
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
Lakewood is actually on the cheaper end in terms of tuition…

Prices are going up. The current tuition is not sustainable.

My sons elementary is 8500
Mesivta is 105000

I’m paying 45k for 6 kids…not such a joke.
I’d be pretty annoyed if someone got a deduction and was buying luxury coats.

Zehava

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:44 am
I actually end up spending more on shabbos coats for my kids. Because somehow with that I’m traditional and can’t stand the synthetic fleece ones in the Frum stores. I want the ones that are real wool and are actually warm and classy. So those are usually closer to the 200$ range. But weekday puffer coats I usually find gorgeous good quality ones for less than 100$.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:50 am
We actually pay full tuition and give a few 100k a year in tzedakah. I actually live in a small home ( for Lakewood standards) and we don’t dress fancy at all.
My daughter found this coat she really wanted and I don’t like when my children wear brands that people recognize as expensive so I figured great this one can look like any random Ali coat without anyone having to know what we spent.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:52 am
All coats I saw in local stores were around $200. I buy a coat for 3 years but I couldn't afford $200. I also don't like the style but my shvigger ended up buying coats for the children. They will definitely last 2 years but I hope for 3. For shabbos coat, my daughter is wearing a coat I wore when I was her age so I think that paid for itself BH.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:08 pm
Ladies, I was definitely not encouraging anyone to buy these expensive coats.
Although they are very warm and made very well there are cheaper options and I too was uncomfortable with the price which was why I started this thread.
My personal reason for making this purchase was not disclosed so please no judgments. I am not one who usually spends a lot on fashion and supports name brands.
It happens to be that my daughter was wearing the same appaman coat for many years. The appaman coat I bought her (on sale and with a coupon) when she was 8 years old lasted for 2 years. Then she wore her sister’s appaman coat which was a size bigger. Now she is 11 and has this new coat which I hope will be good for at least 2 years. Her shabbos coat we bought from amazon for $35. It’s not warm and on very cold days she has to wear her weekday coat for warmth even though it’s shabbos.
I wasn’t looking for a discussion about coats/styles/ prices. I just wanted to know if anyone bought the same coat as I did for less.

Zehava

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:11 pm
Y’all don’t need to excuse yourselves this is ridiculous we don’t live in communist Russia

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:28 pm

If I'll need to ill buy these coats. Where I live it's so absolutely cold kids Wait for busses they need warm coats. Down coats are warm and expensive. It is what it is.

My husband works hard, we pay a full tuition. Give tzeduka and buy what's important. We don't go on vacations or have money for luxuries. I'm happy this way bh.

Zehava

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:44 pm
ZSHOW Boy's Hooded Winter Padded... https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....40256

Got my son this coat. I have a mishigas that they need to be Sherpa/faux fur lined. This one is well-made and as warm as it gets.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:30 pm
Zehava wrote:
ZSHOW Boy's Hooded Winter Padded... https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....40256

Got my son this coat. I have a mishigas that they need to be Sherpa/faux fur lined. This one is well-made and as warm as it gets.

You need to know your kid.
My son is a shvitzer.
I had fur lined one year and he came home every day with a sopping wet back.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:45 pm
You're right

For you it might be throwing money but for People that it’s important to aren’t throwing money. Everyone has different standards and what’s important to them. And people that say how can you spend money on expensive things when people around you are suffering financially wouldn’t feel so good if someone knocks on their door and tells them I want to give you money so you can buy expensive things. This is the way the world works. Some people have more and some have less. I grew up in a very small old apartment. And I always wanted a bigger nicer house. Did you hear anyone ever say how can someone have a nicer house then me when I live in an ugly apartment? Lots of people that can afford expensive things give lots of tzedakah and yes they can enjoy their money to. It’s not a contradiction.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children