Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you consider equine or hippotherapy (horses)?

roseyskies

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 8:53 pm
Hi,

As someone with both a love of helping people and animals I have been considering going into Equine or Hippotherapy as a career path. But I am curious how much of an interest there is in the frum communities?

I know there are some places that cater to frum people but not in every community.

For some more info:
Equine therapy is more like working with a psychologist and using the relationship between people and horses to build skills and create a comfortable space for sharing and growth. It can also be good for helping people see the weight of their actions and what a caring relationship can be. (Practice with a horse-kind and nonjudgmental- and use those skills around the more difficult human relationships) It is common for treating depression, anxiety, ptsd and other mental health issues.

Hippotherapy is physical therapy involving the use of horses and also a combination of occupational therapy in learning how to take care of an animal. Commonly therapeutic for people with physical or mental disabilities.

Would frum families be less interested because of the involvement with animals? I know many people who think animals are disgusting or dirty and won’t be as likely to build deep meaningful friendships with the animals- which is a huge part of the therapeutic process.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:09 pm
Such a special idea. Horses are such emphatic animals. And although my children are not in any kind of therapy with them, they do ride and take care of horses and it's been so good for their development.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:21 pm
it's very popular here in Israel

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:22 pm
I know frum kids in Lakewood that go to equine therapy. I think it’s a great idea and there are enough people that are interested.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 10:53 pm
roseyskies wrote:

Would frum families be less interested because of the involvement with animals? I know many people who think animals are disgusting or dirty and won’t be as likely to build deep meaningful friendships with the animals- which is a huge part of the therapeutic process.

It would seem weird to me if people thought that way. Before the invention if the car, didn't frum people (like most people) use horses for transportation? How could horses suddenly be problematic?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 11:24 pm
There’s loads of frum people who do it in Israel. I have a friend who does and she says at her work place there’s two chassidish men who ride in full levush.

For work though you need to own a horse or live near a ranch. So practically you have to look into how common these places are where you live, you don’t want to have to be dependent on moving to nowheresville to make parnassah.

It is physical work, and depending which one you choose you may not be able to work too much when pregnant.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:01 am
I'm an equine therapist. I live in Israel. It's very popular here among from families.

moonstone

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:59 am
DrMom wrote:
It would seem weird to me if people thought that way. Before the invention if the car, didn't frum people (like most people) use horses for transportation? How could horses suddenly be problematic?

Ha, good point. Funny how so many normal things are suddenly considered "bad."

As others have said, this is very popular in Israel. My son has a friend (dati leumi) who does this kind of work as her sherut leumi.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:01 am
There are frum people in Lakewood who give such therapy and it’s well-received.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 4:04 am
Why does it matter if the people are frum? Would you only work with frum people? Anyway, I am actually thinking of buying a horse. And I think it’s a great idea.

cbsp

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:31 am
DD did 10 sessions of hippotherapy (PT on a horse) at Rocking Horse Rehab when she was 4yo.

http://rockinghorserehab.com/

It was very expensive and not covered by insurance, but we got a grant for it. Maybe things have changed in the interim...

It's possible it could have worked for her long term. However, she only really started getting comfortable with the animals at around session 8 or 9..

The place also does speech therapy and other therapies associated with the horses. I know that DDs OT was offered a position there... Seems like it would be a great "specialty" for a career (but I think you'd need the underlying schooling, whether for counseling or the other therapies, so this modality would be another tool in your belt)

amother
Quince

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:00 am
I would definitely be interested. I have a son who gets PT and OT and has done some horse back riding, so I would be interested in hippotherapy.

Don't want to derail this thread, but has anyone done hippotherapy near lakewood, nj and can share where?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:47 am
I think its an amazing idea!!!!!!! We need such therapy in the USA.

small bean

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:02 am
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
I would definitely be interested. I have a son who gets PT and OT and has done some horse back riding, so I would be interested in hippotherapy.

Don't want to derail this thread, but has anyone done hippotherapy near lakewood, nj and can share where?

Theres a place in howell..maybe called green meadows. I saw them advertised.

small bean

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:03 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Why does it matter if the people are frum? Would you only work with frum people? Anyway, I am actually thinking of buying a horse. And I think it’s a great idea.

Will you keep it at your place or horse boarding?

small bean

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:03 am
There is demand right nownfor both in all communities

roseyskies

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:44 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I think its an amazing idea!!!!!!! We need such therapy in the USA.

Yeah it’s really not so common here! The place I know within a reasonable distance from my community has after school options but since public school ends around 2-3 frum kids won’t be able to make it when school ends at 5 plus the ~hour drive to ranch country. They have weekend hours but only on shabbos. Sunday they’re closed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics