Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
What made you test?

neveralone

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:06 am
It sounds like many people are just getting cold symptoms. If so what makes someone test for COVID? Do you test every time your under the weather?

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:38 am
neveralone wrote:
It sounds like many people are just getting cold symptoms. If so what makes someone test for COVID? Do you test every time your under the weather?

I just tested negative, but yes, both my job (teacher) and my husband's (medical related) require us to test for every cold.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:04 am
The last time that I tested was before I moved to Florida and I wasn't feeling well and had taken my grandson to an urgent care center a few days before and even though he tested negative, I figured that the packed crowded urgent care center in the Catskills probably had some people who were infected so I went to an urgent care center and said that I had been exposed and was now sick. I tested negative.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:36 am
Yes we test if someone is feeling really cold like symptoms. We wouldn’t want to spread it to high risk people, and testing in Israel is free. So why not?

perquacky

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:39 am
Last weekend, my son came home from college with a cough and told us his roommate had been coughing, and several suite mates too. I took him for a rapid test. It came out negative. We all ended up getting sick, but at least we knew it was just a cold. If it was Covid, my husband and and two other kids at home would have had to quarantine.
Why take chances? Covid cases are still spreading in one large Jewish community that I know of in NYC.

tryinghard

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:01 am
We tested when DH stopped tasting. Whole family was positive including asymptomatic 4 year old.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:02 am
Someone once told me the first symptom of covid is denial.

I felt really sick. Like the flu. Dh had a bad cold
4 children with absolutely no symptoms were positive (ages 3-12)

scruffy

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:03 am
perquacky wrote:
Last weekend, my son came home from college with a cough and told us his roommate had been coughing, and several suite mates too. I took him for a rapid test. It came out negative. We all ended up getting sick, but at least we knew it was just a cold. If it was Covid, my husband and and two other kids at home would have had to quarantine.
Why take chances? Covid cases are still spreading in one large Jewish community that I know of in NYC.

Dh had a cold for a week, none of the classic Covid symptoms. He was going to meet high risk people so he took a Covid test. The rapid was negative and he went to the event but the overnight came out positive and we had to let people know. By the time we found out there was just one day of quarantine left from the start of symptoms..

amother
Wallflower

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:07 am
I tested positive yesterday. I have 5 kids in quarantine since the beginning of the week when they all tested positive. DH and I were negative at the time but I started to develop cold symptoms so we retested. DH is still negative.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:30 am
I tested recently (it was negative). I had an awful cough—I coughed all day for over two weeks to the point that I strained my rib muscles. I tested for two reasons: if I was positive, I would’ve stayed home from work instead of infecting my coworkers and students, and if it wasn’t covid but something treatable, I wanted medication so that I could feel better quicker.

(I’m fully vaccinated and had covid prior to vaccination.)

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 8:55 am
Not sure if I should test actually. I’m wondering if it’s covid, but what do I gain by testing? I’ve had symptoms for close to a week already and thought it was just a cold. I’ve been vaccinated.
Can someone please tell me what the current guidelines are in this situation?

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:31 am
I had the sniffles. We were planning to go away for Shabbos, so I just wanted to be careful. I was positive. The next day we tested my husband and DD. By that point he seemed to have a bad cold but she had no symptoms. Both positive.

When in doubt, test.

What you gain is confidence that you are trying to protect other people.

Good health and good Shabbos to all!

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:34 am
We dont test if we have cold symptoms and no other covid symptoms. My husband gets an aweful chrst cold every change of weather. We ne er thought to test. And neither did his doc.
Remember everyone, there are other things people are getting sick with besides covid.

amother
Thistle

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:40 am
DS (teenager) got an ear infection on chol hamoed. Ears full of fluid. He felt fine. Sounded to me like he was congested but he didn't feel like that. Local Drs were out of tests so couldn't test but they thought just a cold. Got worse over Shabbos Beraishis so tested. Rapid was negative so did overnight full viral test (Covid, RSV, flu, cold, bronchitis...) Results came back a cold.

A week later and younger ds who he shares a room with has same congestion. Olde ds had been sitting on younger ds bed. The pediatrician said not to test as it's likely he caught the cold from his older brother - They share a room and sat on each other's beds.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:57 am
I tested when I was going to fly.
I tested when I had a sore throat and mild cough for a couple of weeks, but that’s because they made me test.
My children tested when they each had a terrible cold and they tested negative, so when I caught their cold, I didn’t test.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:57 am
yo'ma wrote:
I tested when I was going to fly.
I tested when I had a sore throat and mild cough for a couple of weeks, but that’s because they made me test.
My children tested when they each had a terrible cold and they tested negative, so when I caught their cold, I didn’t test.

And every time I tested, I was negative bh.

mindyme

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:17 am
Why not test? What's the harm?

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:48 am
I tested because even though I has covid last year I was exposed to people who had it for a second time and I got fever and a very bad cough. I was negative BH. I tested again because the cough got worse and BH negative again.

I would not test with a plain cold without a known exposure.

Testing is also very easy where I live.

miami85

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:33 pm
I had been feeling plegmy and while it felt like a cold it felt like it was in my lungs and I had a little cough and we had a trip coming up so I got tested and it was positive

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:46 pm
My dr told me to test if I have more than one symptom. So if I just have a cough and barely congested don’t need to test. If I have both or had fever as well then I should test.

So I had a really bad painful cough I tested negative and negative for strep as well and the dr said there are still normal viruses going around.
My husband had a cold so he tested, negative, so when I caught his cold I didn’t test.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics