Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Flying with toddler

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:03 am
IyH flying with a recently turned 2 year old. This child has never worn a mask and barely even knows what it is. Any tips for flying? Not looking to make a chillul Hashem, don’t jump on me. This child won’t understand if I explain it so not sure what to do. What has your experience been?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:05 am
Does every airline require a mask at that age?
Our toddlers flew Air Canada and their mask policy is age 5+

mindyme

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:14 am
It depends where you are flying. Air Canada to and from Canada/US, requires for everyone 2+. Otherwise, "Children older than 2 but less than 6 years of age who cannot tolerate wearing a face covering are exempt, provided the adult responsible ensures a face covering is readily available to the child prior to boarding the flight." Other airlines and routes may have different rules.
If your child will need to wear one, practice practice practice beforehand. Find a fun one that they like. Lots of distractions may help them to forget about it (if there was ever a time for electronics this is it). Tell them they're being "like a big girl/boy". They will see everyone else around them in a mask. And daven hard. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:27 am
We’re flying delta and jet blue

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:31 am
Have the child practice now, in every store and every place you go.
For me what worked is I let my daughter suck on her paci with her mask on top and she was totally ok with it. Get a nice fitting, soft cotton mask so that it’s comfortable

amother
Strawberry

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:33 am
Can you pass your child off as not yet 2?
I'm not normally in the practice of dishonesty but it's just such a stupid rule to torture a child over.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:59 am
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
Can you pass your child off as not yet 2?
I'm not normally in the practice of dishonesty but it's just such a stupid rule to torture a child over.

How? I can try but also don’t want to make problems
In general I’m very much a rule follower but for this…

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:45 pm
I dressed my toddler to look like a real baby- piggie buns and jeggings and made her wear a mask on a necklace. She sat by the window so they couldn’t see her. They never asked her to put it on bh. It depends solely on the stewardess- if she is power hungry or not.

amother
Strawberry

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How? I can try but also don’t want to make problems
In general I’m very much a rule follower but for this…

Just say the child is 23 months old? I haven't flown on a plane since Covid started, but as far as I'm aware 2 yr olds still don't need any form of identification for domestic travel. If you're flying out of the country and a passport is required, well, that's a different story.

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:14 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I dressed my toddler to look like a real baby- piggie buns and jeggings and made her wear a mask on a necklace. She sat by the window so they couldn’t see her. They never asked her to put it on bh. It depends solely on the stewardess- if she is power hungry or not.

Lol we flew a few times with my DD who was 2 and then 3. We just didn’t put on a mask and figured if they said she needed we would say “oh sorry we forgot!” (And then put it on.) When she was 2 I tried to pass her off as a baby but at 3 it wasn’t so easy lol. We also kept her by the window and no one ever said anything bH!

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:29 pm
flowerpower wrote:

Is piggie buns babyish? I'm putting my 2 year old in such a look daily.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:32 pm
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
Just say the child is 23 months old? I haven't flown on a plane since Covid started, but as far as I'm aware 2 yr olds still don't need any form of identification for domestic travel. If you're flying out of the country and a passport is required, well, that's a different story.

I Wouldn’t actively lie
Thanks everyone

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:35 pm
Take a bottle and not a sippy cup and give it to the child if he can't wear a mask.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics