Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
If you bought your child a ‘scotch’ coat
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:49 pm
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
You're right
Sorry my post was a little harsh, due to unfiltered shock, but I know that people buy luxury items, and can afford it BH.
I think I'm somewhat bitter because dh and I work so hard, and never know how we'll pay the next bill. I wish someone would offer to buy my 2 girls each 2 Shabbos dresses. We don't have the money, and they're wearing weird hands me downs that they wore last year.
It's hard for me to understand how people throw money toward such overpriced designer things, without giving a hoot to the community around them. Not that you need to pay for my kids clothes, but I'm just wondering if you realize that people like us exist.

There was a poster here who posted under her screen name that she bought this coat. I know from her posting history here that she is one of the most generous people that I know, always offering to buy groceries or clothing for those in need.

I can't remotely afford such coat prices, but I fully fargin mommy3b2c's son his coat. She has proven herself a responsible and trustworthy steward of the money that Hashem gave her.

... And by extension, I fargin everyone else theirs too. I'm sure that they use their money responsibly and generously too, even though I haven't witnessed it myself.

(I am not mommy3b2c nor any other poster on this thread.)

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:47 pm
You're right
Sorry my post was a little harsh, due to unfiltered shock, but I know that people buy luxury items, and can afford it BH.
I think I'm somewhat bitter because dh and I work so hard, and never know how we'll pay the next bill. I wish someone would offer to buy my 2 girls each 2 Shabbos dresses. We don't have the money, and they're wearing weird hands me downs that they wore last year.
It's hard for me to understand how people throw money toward such overpriced designer things, without giving a hoot to the community around them. Not that you need to pay for my kids clothes, but I'm just wondering if you realize that people like us exist.

Are there children clothing gemachs where you live? If you're in NYC or Lakewood, they have Bobbie's place Gemach with new Yom tov/shabbos outfits twice a year.

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 3:10 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
There was a poster here who posted under her screen name that she bought this coat. I know from her posting history here that she is one of the most generous people that I know, always offering to buy groceries or clothing for those in need.

I can't remotely afford such coat prices, but I fully fargin mommy3b2c's son his coat. She has proven herself a responsible and trustworthy steward of the money that Hashem gave her.

... And by extension, I fargin everyone else theirs too. I'm sure that they use their money responsibly and generously too, even though I haven't witnessed it myself.

(I am not mommy3b2c nor any other poster on this thread.)

while this is so true and Mommy3b is incredibly generous on here, it doesn't mean we have to actually see generosity/charity to not judge.
I try not to judge anyone. there are so many different scenarios why people buy brand name stuff.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 3:22 pm
Omg my mind is boggled
Forgive my naivety, but all you people who are paying $150-180 for a child's coat, that he/she will outgrow in [insert small number] years, are you for real?
Do you like, pay full tuition? And tzedaka? And tell your parents your ok without their support?
When you read the Jewish publications that tell about the frum world who are being crushed by the weight of cost of living and tuition, do you consider yourself one of us?
I hope you are spending money you have, and not paying $180 for a stupid coat at the expense of other more important things.

How big is your home? If you have more than 2 bedrooms -- one for your boys, one for your girls, you and DH in the living room, I hope that you, like, pay full tuition.

What's for dinner tonight? If its more than chicken broth with a smidgen of meat, a spoonful of tuna, and brown rice and lentils, I hope you've told your parents you're ok without their support.

And that you always take public transit. And ... I don't know what else.

Or maybe we can recognize that people will spend on things that are important to them, and that's not a moral failing.

And we can recognize that no one is obligated to go on an austerity budget just because someone else cannot afford luxury items.

And that you have no clue what tzedaka others do. That family with their kids dressed to the 9s may be giving tens of thousands to others.

Me, I'd never spend that for kids' clothes. Because without a doubt, within a month, my kids would leave it somewhere, never to be found again; or tear it playing who know what, or rolling down a hill into rocks; or pour paint, or acid, or something on it. Not to mention that I think they're hideous. But if someone else feels differently, its their money.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:14 pm
Omg my mind is boggled
Forgive my naivety, but all you people who are paying $150-180 for a child's coat, that he/she will outgrow in [insert small number] years, are you for real?
Do you like, pay full tuition? And tzedaka? And tell your parents your ok without their support?
When you read the Jewish publications that tell about the frum world who are being crushed by the weight of cost of living and tuition, do you consider yourself one of us?
I hope you are spending money you have, and not paying $180 for a stupid coat at the expense of other more important things.

You know there are plenty of people who have money. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I only buy what I can afford. Some people are able to afford more then others. It’s the way of the world .

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:16 pm
You're right

I will gladly buy your girls Shabbos dresses. I would love to actually. Send me links to what you like.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:27 pm
I can’t believe there are 4 pages just because I asked how much people paid for this coat if they bought one!
I kind of figured in advance it would turn into a whole debate- if I should have bought it, why people buy things like this… it’s just the way things are here…
I was asking a simple question. It wasn’t something I was debating and asking for peoples personal options.
The most I ever spent on a child’s coat was $135 and it was for a teenage girl. I thought that was over the top. When I purchased this coat I did not have peace of mind but it does look stunning on my daughter and it was not bought with borrowed money.
I hope everyone has menuchas hanefesh if not now then very soon with their financial status. I wasn’t looking to make anyone jealous or angry.
Good shabbos

Zehava

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:29 pm
That’s imamother in a nutshell

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:34 pm
While we are not part of the Scotch coat society, we like others spend money on stuff that some will think is frivolous!
Be it jewelry, silver, vacations, restaurants, housing etc.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:36 pm
You're right

I see that the generous Mommy3b2c beat me too it, but just in case she’s busy and doesn’t notice that you contacted her, I’d love to buy your girls dresses. I clearly remember being in that state. If you don’t want to out your username you can email me links to the dresses and your address from an anon email address Chayabraunphotography at gmail.com. May you soon be on the giving end of the spectrum and have nachas from your girls!

amother
Black

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:39 pm
I bought one for my child a few years back and didn’t love the quality. Got a hole. Since then just get my kids gap coats which are more affordable

amother
Watermelon

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 2:25 pm
I don't get it. It just looks like a metallic puffer jacket? Very similar to coats I've seen all over place... also kind of disappointed that it just has a regular furry looking hood instead of some weird tartan bonnet with straps underneath, but that's just me :-) Enjoy your coats ladies!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 9:23 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Ialso kind of disappointed that it just has a regular furry looking hood instead of some weird tartan bonnet with straps underneath, but that's just me :-) Enjoy your coats ladies!

Lol. Scotch bonnet has another meaning too (not that it has anything to do with apparel, but I think this other definition is what they had in mind when naming their brand.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_bonnet

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 9:27 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
You're serious?
Cozy Coop is owned by Scotch Bonnet?

Can someone confirm?

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 9:40 pm
Zehava wrote:
Local stores have them at 50% off now. They do seem to be of great quality. I just gave one away and it’s in perfect condition.

Zehava, which stores have these on sale now? Are you in Brooklyn?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 9:44 pm
You're right

What about signing up with Bobby's place? New shabbos outfit one per child above age 3 before Sukkos and Pesach. If you sign up now can still access the winter season shabbos clothing.
They do a coat distribution after sukkos each year as well.
Sometimes we take and sometimes we give.
Now it may be time to take.

1 (646) 568-6606
Bobby's place

Zehava

amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Zehava, which stores have these on sale now? Are you in Brooklyn?

Klade

amother
Springgreen

I fell for the hype and bought my dd the scotch coat for the past two years. Really unimpressed with the quality. It peeled both years once the whole front of the coat and once the whole shoulder / under arm area ( from her backpack) . My daughter is not little and not hard on her things. It was really poor quality. I’m back to appaman coats which are warmer and literally go from kid to kid.

Skippy!!

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 9:57 pm
https://www.macys.com/shop/pro.....G0DRw

Great quality and very similar. It's on sale now.

Last edited by Skippy!! on Sat, Oct 16 2021, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
I fell for the hype and bought my dd the scotch coat for the past two years. Really unimpressed with the quality. It peeled both years once the whole front of the coat and once the whole shoulder / under arm area ( from her backpack) . My daughter is not little and not hard on her things. It was really poor quality. I’m back to appaman coats which are warmer and literally go from kid to kid.

I agree about Appaman. Their coats are stylish and beautiful and not too expensive (especially when you can find them on sale). I bought Appaman toddler boys coats for $40 at Century 21 about 3-4 years ago. My son wore one of them for three seasons and it still looks brand new. I did have an issue with a zipper but Appaman replaced it. They sent me a brand new coat. He had barely worn it at the time, but I had bought it at clearance the March before so I did not expect such accommodating customer service.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children