Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Takeout food while in kollel
Previous  1  2

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:24 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Your saying invested. I'm saying save. We're not speaking the same language.
Even if you invested 500$ a year for 10 years you ain't getting a house. Unless you strike it rich in some crazy stock that totally is hit or miss.

If you leave it there for another couple of decades maybe. They say if you invest X amount a month between age 20 and age 30, you'll make more by the time you retire than if you invest that same amount for THIRTY FULL YEARS between ages 30 and 60. That's how powerful investments are.

Of course, that's just hishtadlus. It may not always work. But derech hateva, it will...

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:29 pm
You can invest every last penny and maybe you'll have extra money when you're 70 but I need to live life and enjoy today!!!
I can't think of investments and retirement and guilt myself every time I buy an ice coffee or pie of pizza for the kids!

ETA obviously nobody should blow their money. But I think it's unhealthy to only care about saving and saving when that dumb $30 will bring you more sanity relaxation and happiness this minute than anything in 40 years. Its called having a middle of the road balanced attitude.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:35 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
If you leave it there for another couple of decades maybe. They say if you invest X amount a month between age 20 and age 30, you'll make more by the time you retire than if you invest that same amount for THIRTY FULL YEARS between ages 30 and 60. That's how powerful investments are.

Of course, that's just hishtadlus. It may not always work. But derech hateva, it will...

In a couple of decades I won't need a house anymore. I can live in a cute little 1 bedroom apartment at that age. This wouldn't work for me at all.
For the record I own a house and I eat out when I want - I was just saying how silly it is when people say to save every last dime so you can buy a house. If your parents /Inlaws are giving you most of your down payment and you need to add the little bit extra than yes I agree to save every last dime. Because you'll get your house.. But to start from scratch and count those few dollars instead of enjoying your years... I can't relate.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:39 pm
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
Exactly this. Kollel wife of 9 years bh

Yes exactly this!
1 month short of 9 years in kollel as well.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:13 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
we are totally full on Kolel!
And we saved... and bought a house.
Way more worthwhile then takeout!! Thats my advice to you hun Smile

B"H I own my home and should be able to sell it at the right time for enough to pay the down payment on a larger place.

Anyway, to everyone who recommends saving, we do. Like I said, we try to save as much as possible. I don't need advice on when to save, I need advice on when not to save.
So I'm all for saving! But it doesn't really answer my question.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
B"H I own my home and should be able to sell it at the right time for enough to pay the down payment on a larger place.

Anyway, to everyone who recommends saving, we do. Like I said, we try to save as much as possible. I don't need advice on when to save, I need advice on when not to save.
So I'm all for saving! But it doesn't really answer my question.

I don't really think anyone can tell you when to save and not to save. Noone knows you. Noone knows your marriage, your health, your finances, your kids.. If it seems like something worth spending on go for it. I like to go out with my husband and my family /friends. I feel like it's money well spent. But I won't spend on other things that most people would splurge on..

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 12:41 am
Every few weeks, usually pizza because it's the only cheaper option (we're a family of 7). Usually because I'm burnt out. I am the only source of income, except the meager datot we get from the Israeli government. No support. We do spend money on a vacation (one or two nights) and buy makolet food then, but that's once a year. Trips we also buy ice cream, maybe three or four times a year. I try not to buy too much processed food, but will do so in a pinch if we are stressed. Take out is wayy cheaper than therapy! We have a very small amount of savings, we will never be able to buy a place here in Israel unless someone in DH's family helps out (I have no family).

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:00 am
We ate plenty of takeout.

At least once a week.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:15 am
20+ years in Kollel. We don't do takeout food very often. My kids like homemade food. It's more like a treat, like taking the kids out for Pizza on Chanukah vacation.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:41 am
Why pick on takeout? There are many other things that people of limited means can and do spend/waste money on. Disposables come to mind. Expensive sheitels. The latest fashions for children or for moms. Obviously not everyone spends on all or even any of these things--and it doesn't have to be just kollel families. Lots of non-kollel people are fiscally both ignorant and irresponsible.

You're entitled to your opinion but at the end of the day, you can't tell someone else how to spend their money. All you can do is set your own priorities and manage your money accordingly. If buying takeout makes the difference between beating up your children or not beating up your children, fighting with your dh or not fighting with your dh, getting enough rest to function the next day or not, there's nothing wrong with that, though there is something very wrong with buying takeout with money you were supposed to use to pay the rent. And if you buy takeout because you spend so much time on imamother that the kids are crying from hunger by the time you get off, maybe you need to rethink your time management as well as your money management. .

And just saying "buying takeout" means nothing. Is this something you depend on every day, or something you do a few times a year as a special treat? Are you stiffing someone else because you're using the money you were supposed to pay them? Are you putting it all on a credit card you have no way of paying off?

amother
Brickred

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:07 am
Sewsew_mom wrote:
In a couple of decades I won't need a house anymore. I can live in a cute little 1 bedroom apartment at that age. This wouldn't work for me at all.
For the record I own a house and I eat out when I want - I was just saying how silly it is when people say to save every last dime so you can buy a house. If your parents /Inlaws are giving you most of your down payment and you need to add the little bit extra than yes I agree to save every last dime. Because you'll get your house.. But to start from scratch and count those few dollars instead of enjoying your years... I can't relate.

I didnt get financial assistance, didn't have particularly well paying jobs, and saved 100k within 4 years. By stinging like crazy. It's doable. I started from scratch

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:14 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
we are totally full on Kolel!
And we saved... and bought a house.
Way more worthwhile then takeout!! Thats my advice to you hun Smile

You cant invest or buy a house on FS , lol...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics