Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sinai schools help

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:50 am
I am thinking of putting my child into sinai school.

Does anyone know their process?

Do they change the iep to show the child needs a small class?

They told me they have lawyers who "fight" the doe for some payment, but what are the lawyers saying bec. if my child needs a small special ed class, why would doe pay private school if they can say to go to public school for a small special ed class?

Also, I am afraid about a high tuition, does anyone know how much it costs after a scholarship?

I am new to all this but I cant leave my child in the present school to fail, so if anyone knows info or experienced...and can share information, I would really appreciate it.

Tia.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:16 am
They lawyers really take care of you through the process. They have you go through a bunch of independent private evaluations and take it from there. The first time is the hardest, but once you win that first settlement, it's not that hard to renew when the time comes to renew.

Everyone's settlement is different, but you're usually left with about 30k after what the doe will cover, and that's where you go through the tuition committee to talk about scholarships. That's going to depend on your income and expenses, but they're pretty generous. I pay about 20k, which really isn't much more than a regular tuition. Others pay less if that's what they can afford. The tuition committee does take into account that special needs kids come with extra expenses, so they account for extra therapies (though being in a place like Sinai reduces the need for a lot of those since they get so much support at school) and special camps and stuff.

Overall, we are very happy with Sinai. It's worth the extra expense to know your child is getting what they need and is happy at school. I know a lot of people freak out from the sticker shock and don't even try, but the truth is, nobody actually pays anywhere near that. And what you do pay, yes, it's more than a regular yeshiva tuition, but when you account for other stuff you end up paying for when you have a kid really floundering in school, like tutors and shadows etc, it often comes out the same when you really add it up.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 7:19 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
They lawyers really take care of you through the process. They have you go through a bunch of independent private evaluations and take it from there. The first time is the hardest, but once you win that first settlement, it's not that hard to renew when the time comes to renew.

Everyone's settlement is different, but you're usually left with about 30k after what the doe will cover, and that's where you go through the tuition committee to talk about scholarships. That's going to depend on your income and expenses, but they're pretty generous. I pay about 20k, which really isn't much more than a regular tuition. Others pay less if that's what they can afford. The tuition committee does take into account that special needs kids come with extra expenses, so they account for extra therapies (though being in a place like Sinai reduces the need for a lot of those since they get so much support at school) and special camps and stuff.

Overall, we are very happy with Sinai. It's worth the extra expense to know your child is getting what they need and is happy at school. I know a lot of people freak out from the sticker shock and don't even try, but the truth is, nobody actually pays anywhere near that. And what you do pay, yes, it's more than a regular yeshiva tuition, but when you account for other stuff you end up paying for when you have a kid really floundering in school, like tutors and shadows etc, it often comes out the same when you really add it up.

Thanks so much for responding. Wow, 20k is a lot of money for me. I am currently paying around 9k for my child's tuition, and I dont pay for tutors. I tutor him myself to save money.

I hope I don't have to go in debt over this, but thanks for responding.

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:08 am
The process Slateblue describes can differ a great deal depending on what school district you are in. For my friends in the district next to mine, it's a detailed process with predictable results, and no court. In my district it's more complicated. I spent dozens of hours with the district child study team and their internal and external consultants, besides the evaluators recommended by the attorney. After all the evaluations, the CST recommended first a self-contained class and then an out-of-district private placement, so I visited those too. The attorney rejected these placements and we ended up going to court, which my friends in other districts didn't have to do.

Before starting the process, you should ask for names of people in your district who've used the Sinai attorney and talk to them so you know what to expect. Also, recognize that the more complicated the process in your district, the more important it is that you be able to communicate with your attorney. Sinai has employees who guide parents though the process but that's not the same as being able to communicate directly with your attorney or their staff on time-sensitive matters.

Also, if Sinai tells you what your tuition will be after the settlement, make sure they specify what settlement amount that number is based on.

That said, my child thrived at Sinai, and had opportunities in his mainstream classes and extracurriculars that he wouldn't have had anywhere else, all in a Jewish environment.

Simcha36

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:33 am
My friend hired a lawyer who spcialize in this and he helped them a lot

BOE

Tution

All

If you PM me I will bln get you the lawyer info

its his speciality. (dont think he does anything else)

momtra

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 3:48 pm
Sinai will put you in touch with lawyer - as others said, it greatly depends on your school district.
The process can take a while, with many evaluations for the lawyer to prove your case.
Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 4:15 pm
Thank you Tulip and everyone who responded.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics