Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is there 'out of town' in NJ or NY
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:45 pm
Considering relocating for better services/options for my special needs kid, but I'm totally an out of town person and the idea of being one in a zillion Jews like that is completely overwhelming. I'm used to going to the local grocery store and knowing everyones name... and not having to wait in line for bagels because there's no one ahead of you!... and decent, calm, sedate traffic. When I graduated high school, I graduated with 26 girls in my class and I was good friends with almost all of them. The idea of 500 girls in a grade is mind boggling... The idea petrifies me. Are there any out of town like areas in NY or NJ?

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:51 pm
Yes there are places like cherry hill nj for example.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 1:59 pm
I live in an oot NJ town. One shul. 200 or so families etc. No one cares about designer clothing, name brands etc.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:09 pm
Stanford Connecticut is more far flung but is so so OOT feeling

(Though you didn’t describe yourself religiously)

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:09 pm
If moving for special needs on nj community is important.
Lakewood has best services. Even if you move to suburbs like Jackson or Toms River services may not be covered. So it’s not general nj that can help.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:10 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
If moving for special needs on nj community is important.
Lakewood has best services. Even if you move to suburbs like Jackson or Toms River services may not be covered. So it’s not general nj that can help.

But Lakewood is the opposites of OOT. It IS THE town

OP you may need to pick your poison

amother
Cadetblue

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:11 pm
Lakewood does not have any services compared to nyc. Sorry 😞

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:12 pm
Haskafa?
NY It’s typically much better for benefits than New Jersey if you have a child with special needs, or even just needing OTPT speech

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:16 pm
If you don't want the east coast depending on what your kids special needs are my kids are getting very good services in Chicago.

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Considering relocating for better services/options for my special needs kid, but I'm totally an out of town person and the idea of being one in a zillion Jews like that is completely overwhelming. I'm used to going to the local grocery store and knowing everyones name... and not having to wait in line for bagels because there's no one ahead of you!... and decent, calm, sedate traffic. When I graduated high school, I graduated with 26 girls in my class and I was good friends with almost all of them. The idea of 500 girls in a grade is mind boggling... The idea petrifies me. Are there any out of town like areas in NY or NJ?

I wonder if Rochester NY would work for you? Small and very warm frum community, but NYS level of services. It feels much more midwestern than east coast, if that makes sense.

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:39 pm
You can look into small communities in Long island. We're very happy in highland Park now, but services aren't as good as ny

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:40 pm
West hempstead used to be that way:(

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:26 pm
NYC is a wonderful community, nice shuls, with a fantastic small chabad run school- great people, excellent education

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 6:00 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
NYC is a wonderful community, nice shuls, with a fantastic small chabad run school- great people, excellent education

Where in NYC

amother
Holly

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 7:38 pm
Staten Island

finprof

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 7:47 pm
Skokie does have great public schools if you want to look father out. Cherry hill & Teaneck are great if you want large OOT NJ communities. Philly has several suburbs with great public schools as well as yeshivas.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 8:07 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:

Nyc is not a community.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 8:43 pm
Bayswater.

If you’re moving for services NYC is the way to go.

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 9:17 pm

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 10:00 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
Bayswater.

If you’re moving for services NYC is the way to go.

I live in the five towns and a I know a few families who moved from out of the area to bayswater for their kids to get nyc services and bayswater is most oot and affordable of nyc frum communities.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating