Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Indoor movement ideas for kids

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 9:43 am
Im looking for way to help my dd excersice more. she is an avid reader and can just sit sit and sit. she needs movement and I want to make it fun and enjoyable for her. in the summer she rides bikes etc.. but in the winter where I leave it could get really cold and outdoor activities are not an easy option.

She is 10 years old. Any suggestions?

I was thinking to buy the dance game step it up but it looks like it only works on a pc and I only have macs.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 6:02 pm
Bump

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:30 pm
Hi,
- This is a toughie.... Maybe a small trampoline? Although I'm not sure if that will get used enough... There are games which incorporate movement and exercise, but then she will need someone to play with her.. If you have the financial ability for this, maybe consider a gymnastics group? I think that will be more motivating. Maybe jump rope if you have space to do that indoors? I am an OT so I can think of all sorts of activities. I think the tough part is for them to be motivating/ fun for her and also not require too much participation on your part. If you have time to do things with her, which I doubt is the case, you can do yoga/ exercise video with her (great ones on youtube) or set up an obstacle course for her (think putting puzzle pieces on one side of the room, belly scooter, stepping stones, hula hoop, jump rope at different stations and follows it through to the end to put in the puzzle piece). Good luck! Let me know if you have any followup questions to these or need clarification.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:35 pm
Get a Wii or Xbox they have dance games.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:41 pm
Get her an Apple Watch or Fitbit? It encourages movement and reminds you to get up every hour at least. Very helpful for me!

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:50 pm
I signed my daughter up for some fitness classes on Outschool. They have anything and everything you can think of and the times are very flexible.
Also, I pick something where you just have to commit to one week at a time, so she can always switch depending what she's in the mood for (make sure to cancel if you don't want to be charged for the upcoming week)

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Oct 13 2021, 7:52 pm
I bought a new computer just for the step it up mat. I got a refurbished pc for around $100. This is now the kids computer (no internet).
We also have an indoor trampoline.
There are Jewish exercise dvds.
Mopping and vacuuming is also exercise!

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:14 am
If you can make the step it up dance mat work I highly recommend it. We've had it now for 3 years, and with kids of all ages, it is definitely my most used game in the winter. But 10 is a perfect age to start. I find they play with it without actually realising they are doing excercise because it is fun, and it's on the computer. over the years I've added upgrades so it stays fresh for them.
And it can be played indoors which in the winter is a must what with the weather and getting dark so early.
If not then I'd sign her up for classes, ask her to choose sth that sounds fun to her.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 12:35 am
of she enjoys riding bike, maybe buy her an indoor bike? she can read while exercising, that could be notivating

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 4:46 am
When my kids were younger than your daughter is they lived Morah music. They especially loved it when I did it with them. I have an 11 year old daughter but I don’t see her enjoying it anymore. I could see my 9 year enjoying if we’re doing it together. Not sure how your 10 year old would feel.
Do you let her walk to her the store alone? If you feel it’s safe that might be fun for her. Even if it’s dark on a regular weekday night she could go on Friday and Sunday.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 14 2021, 6:50 am
Thanks for all the suggestions!

It’s been years since I heard about the wii. Can someone remind me the details? I don’t really want non Jewish music and video game like things for my kids to become addicited to.
I liked the idea of step it up- unlit that means I’ll have to also buy a pc

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 7:39 pm
bump

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 7:55 pm
I just thought of a fun game.
It’s called twister hip hop.
Do an amazon search for this game.
It’s a similar idea to the step it up mat but you don’t need a computer, just batteries.
My kids have this and use it. Of course sometimes it just sits and sits but if I take it out and they didn’t use it for awhile it becomes exciting again.

There’s also jump rope and hoola hoop contests (with siblings).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics