Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
S/O Poll: Why did you give your child growth hormone?
Previous  1  2

Why did/does your child take growth hormone?
Hormone Deficiency  
 72%  [ 13 ]
Other physical medical condition  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cosmetic reasons  
 16%  [ 3 ]
Other:please specify  
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

amother
Cherry

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 11:32 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
One child wasn’t growing even though he wasn’t growth hormone deficient. He is now 5’ 6”.
My other child wasn’t deficient in hormone but had a partial SHOX deficiency which also affects growth (it’s detected by genetic testing). For him we had no trouble getting approval, for the other one we had to fight.

Like an earlier poster said, growth hormones are not going to make a kid super tall, it will get them to what would’ve been their coerced height based on genetics.

My children are also missing the shox gene, I have never spoken to anyone before who had a similar situation (unless we are related...). Do you mind if I ask how long that child has been on the growth hormone and if it has been successful?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:36 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
My daughter just turned 15.
She has not gotten her period yet as she is petite and started developing late. She is barely 5’ tall.
All these threads have got me thinking if this is still an option for us.
Ftr I am 5’1.

I think 15 is very late. If you do a bone age xray you can find out if your daughter can still grow.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks to all those that replied. To clarify further, my question came from another thread on GH where a few mothers posted that even when their kid went to sleepaway camp, it wasn't awkward because there were others "lining up for their injections" I understand that it's time consuming...can be painful and costly endeavor (esp if not covered by insurance) which is why I was wondering are all those kids "lining up for injections" truly GH deficient or are we frum overachieving perfectionist mothers setting yet another superficial standard?

My DC is quite short (2nd/3rd percentile) and we keep getting questioned from well meaning relatives asking if we considered GH cuz "you know, all my nieces are doing it" or "my neighbor put all her boys on it". We are working with an excellent endocrinologist but those comments and the threads here got me thinking..... wondering

I'm the one who posted about camp. I have no idea if they are all GH deficient or not. But my son's endocrinologist specifically told me GH injections only work on those GH deficient. I see others have contradicted that I just don't understand why he would lie. Also, when you say "costly" if not covered by insurance, I remember my son's medication was $15000 a month. I would say costly is an understatement, I would call it unaffordable. But perhaps that is the charge to the insurance company and the price to individuals is different.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:46 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
My daughter just turned 15.
She has not gotten her period yet as she is petite and started developing late. She is barely 5’ tall.
All these threads have got me thinking if this is still an option for us.
Ftr I am 5’1.

Have you had her tested for Celiac?

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:31 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I'm the one who posted about camp. I have no idea if they are all GH deficient or not. But my son's endocrinologist specifically told me GH injections only work on those GH deficient. I see others have contradicted that I just don't understand why he would lie. Also, when you say "costly" if not covered by insurance, I remember my son's medication was $15000 a month. I would say costly is an understatement, I would call it unaffordable. But perhaps that is the charge to the insurance company and the price to individuals is different.

ISS does not present hormone deficiency and yet hormone is prescribed because it does increase growth. Your doctor might have simplified things when explaining to you, but in general a child will grow more when prescribed hormones.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
ISS does not present hormone deficiency and yet hormone is prescribed because it does increase growth. Your doctor might have simplified things when explaining to you, but in general a child will grow more when prescribed hormones.

My dr said that if the child is deficient then gh wont help or add height. I don't think my dr simplified anything.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:57 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
My dr said that if the child is deficient then gh wont help or add height. I don't think my dr simplified anything.

Maybe that's what your doctor believes, but other endocrinologists will prescribe growth hormones for children with ISS and have seen good results from it.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:42 pm

curious why you are asking this? I have a short daughter, still young and many growing years and was always small. celiac is in the family, wonder if that's something we're missing. would we have had other signs?

tigerwife

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:50 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
curious why you are asking this? I have a short daughter, still young and many growing years and was always small. celiac is in the family, wonder if that's something we're missing. would we have had other signs?

It’s worth testing especially if it’s in the family. I know children who had zero Gastro symptoms- lack of growth was the only factor. They continued growing soon after starting a gf diet.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:55 pm
check for hypothyroid
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics