Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Please help me design a nice toy storage system

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:36 am
Unfortunately the only place in our apartment to store toys is directly across from the front door. I'm looking for a big storage system that can accommodate lots of different size boxes (from the small Menchie containers to the large railroad tracks). Preferably with doors that close so that guests aren't greeted by toys as soon as they walk in TMI
The complicating factor is that because it's the first thing people see as they walk in, I need to make it look homey and welcoming, instead of just a storage closet.

I'm open to all advice and recommendations.

Bonus points if I can get it at IKEA. TIA!

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:59 am
Would a closet with doors fit in your kids room?

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:19 pm
Ikea kallax with bins. They also have dividers so you can put smaller toys in smaller bins.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:23 pm
Ikea kallax with bins. They also have dividers so you can put smaller toys in smaller bins.

sillymommy

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:24 pm
we have the ikea kallax as well and love it.
they have add ins you can buy so we have built in drawers and a cabinet on the highest row for our own things

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:24 pm
One of the large storage closets from ikea that have doors [inside can be customized when ordering with shelves or drawers (or clothing rods which you don't need)].

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 1:29 pm
I think the kallax looks messier than a closet. It's also a lot easier for the kids to pull out a lot of boxes, and it's all the same size cubes, so not so practical for larger sized toys/boxes.
I used to have the ikea trofast, which was good as it was just drawers for each toy. But it used to get so messy that eventually I went to ikea and bought the pax wardrobe. It comes in a range of sizes, so you can get the size that fits for your space. And you can customize it. I went for shelves and put boxes. My sil has the same as me and she bought drawers, so you can just slide the drawers out and it makes clean-up easier.
I bought nice doors for it-has a really smooth look (natural wood color) and I added a lock to it so that the kids can't empty the whole closet. Highly recommend the pax for its versatileness and neat look.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 1:46 pm
Thanks for the replies! It seems like the overwhelming response was for the kallax, which I like but couldn't figure out how to fit things like long board games (we easily have at least 15) or our big wooden train tracks. Any advice? (There's no space in my children's rooms).

I looked into the pax, but as the toy system will be going on the wall right in front of the front door, I wanted something with more of a welcoming/warm/homey feel. I don't want people to walk into my apartment and have a closet be the first thing that they see. Right now we have family photos on that wall which will probably have to come down once I put in the toy storage, unless I can figure out a way to build the storage around them.

I also looked into the besta system but it also looks a bit plain. Unless I pair it with nice looking knobs? Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm afraid I'm not very good at interior design and have trouble figuring out how to make this work. I'm really appreciating all the advice here. Thank you!

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 3:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the replies! It seems like the overwhelming response was for the kallax, which I like but couldn't figure out how to fit things like long board games (we easily have at least 15) or our big wooden train tracks. Any advice? (There's no space in my children's rooms).

I looked into the pax, but as the toy system will be going on the wall right in front of the front door, I wanted something with more of a welcoming/warm/homey feel. I don't want people to walk into my apartment and have a closet be the first thing that they see. Right now we have family photos on that wall which will probably have to come down once I put in the toy storage, unless I can figure out a way to build the storage around them.

I also looked into the besta system but it also looks a bit plain. Unless I pair it with nice looking knobs? Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm afraid I'm not very good at interior design and have trouble figuring out how to make this work. I'm really appreciating all the advice here. Thank you!

You can get the pax with sliding mirror doors. I've seen people have this in their entranceway and it looks really nice. Equally you could get wooden doors and mount the pictures on the doors, so it looks like a display wall.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Equally you could get wooden doors and mount the pictures on the doors, so it looks like a display wall.

I really like this idea. How do you do it so that it looks natural and sleek? (I think it's obvious from my posts that I'm totally not a DIYer LOL )

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 3:50 pm
Also, I'd really like to hear how others hid bigger toys and games in the kallax. Thanks!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 1:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really like this idea. How do you do it so that it looks natural and sleek? (I think it's obvious from my posts that I'm totally not a DIYer LOL )

Not sure exactly. I'm thinking of the plain smooth doors, like the FORSAND which looks like a wall really. Then I would use the command strips for pictures and hang it like you would on the wall.
If you've never heard of command strips before, they're awesome. They allow you to stick things to your walls without nails or damaging your wall. Then if you want to take it off, you just pull the tab and it comes away easily.
https://www.amazon.com/Command.....r=8-2
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics