Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
My job is so boring... wondering

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:15 pm
I was a psychologist at a well known institute for almost 10 years. Eventually my work started getting to me, and as I felt closer to burn out, my husband found a job that paid significantly more than I was making. So I immediately transferred all my patients, intern, and apprentice to my colleagues and quit.
I spent about 6 months wondering what to do with my life, and then realized I would love to have a quiet office job where I just sort through paperwork and almost never deal with people. I was tired of people's problems.
So I went back to school for medical archives.
As soon as I got my degree, I got a fantastic job, with truly all the perks..
But now I'm getting bored! I loved it for the first few years, it was the only time that I got peace and quiet. My office became my safe place.
But now I'm so so so bored with what I do. Every day feels like a drag and it feels like time never passes.

so far these are the options I see:
1)quit and find something else yet again
2) quit and renew my license and go back to being a shrink for a few years until I get a proper burn out
3) stay and live with the boredom
Not working is not an option. Not for financial reasons, but because I need a structure and I need to be occupied all day long.

so. I guess I both wanted to vent and ask... those of you who have painfully boring jobs, how do you get through it? do you just let the pros outweigh the cons and leave it at that?

SDmother

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:24 pm
Why not look into non-clinical careers like research. I work with lots of PhD psychologists in research.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:26 pm
Can you work at your desk job part time and psychology job part time?

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:48 pm
There are sooooo many things that you can do with a psychology degree that don’t involve seeing clients all day.

First of all, if money isn’t an object, you can choose to specialize in one specific thing and limit your days and hours.

You can give classes and workshops. (Parenting? Marriage? Conflict resolution? Choose one area that resonates and make it your thing.)

Write articles. Blog posts. YouTube videos.

Can you do consulting? Case management?

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:22 pm
What does your current job entail? What made you choose it?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:13 am
I don’t know about the job or your field at all, but if you went from one job to the next, maybe it’s you. Maybe you have to find another outlet, hobby to look forward to after work. I might not know what I’m talking about Confused

imasinger

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:21 am
I have an option #4.

Make your current focus be on researching alternatives that work with your strengths and interests. As others suggested, you may be able to combine the two lifestyles you've had until now.

If you have the time and money, consider consulting a career coach, at JVS or elsewhere. Read books about career changes for those with experience and training, like yourself. Talk to everyone you can, to get a sense of what excites you.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics