Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
S/o Staying on top of everything

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:19 pm
For those of us with ADHD, can we make a master list of things that have to get done each year. For home, for kids, etc. (Moved to Organizing so we can have amother contributions)

I'll start:

Annuals at pediatrician - once a year
Dentist - twice a year
Eye Doctor - twice a year?

Before Winter
does everyone have coats? gloves? scarves? boots- snow and rain?

Before Summer
does everyone have swimsuits? bathrobes? accessories - goggles, nose plugs, bathing caps?

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:23 pm
Yeshiva/High School registrations - first-time students - around Chanukah time

Camp applications - usually after Chanukah

School supply shopping - start buying basics when they go on sale, beginning of summer
Buy anything missing from lists - about a week before school

Smoke alarm batteries - when you change the clocks, twice a year
(for the ADHD among us: a week before, buy/order new batteries)

SuperWify

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:33 pm
Car maintenance every 3-6 months

House organizing/purging before every season (end of winter before pesach and end of summer before summer).

Health insurance November

Taxes February

Uniform and school shoes - best hack is to do it as soon as school ends or you’ll remember a week before school when everyone else does

Clothing and shoes seasonal before YT for Shabbos

Weekday clothes, pjs, socks and underwear- as soon as yt is over. After pesach think summer (bathing suits can bags etc) After Pesach think winter (coats, boots etc)

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 12:48 pm
This thread is overwhelming me Not listening

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 1:05 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

Don't feel bad, I'm not doing most of it.

My life:

Doctor appointments: When child is sick
Dentist appointments: Not often enough
Eye doctor: ditto

Winter supplies: When child complains he/she is cold and coat is too small, can't find gloves, etc.
Camp supplies: When I realize they are going to camp tomorrow/next week
School supplies: Like camp

School/camp registrations: This I'm actually somewhat on top of
Taxes: I actually enjoy this so I start in January (sorry I'm strange like that)

Home organizing: when the muse hits

lamplighter

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 1:06 pm
Thank you for moving it! I have ADHD so lists are my savior.

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 1:12 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Car maintenance every 3-6 months

House organizing/purging before every season (end of winter before pesach and end of summer before summer).

Health insurance November

Taxes February

Uniform and school shoes - best hack is to do it as soon as school ends or you’ll remember a week before school when everyone else does

Clothing and shoes seasonal before YT for Shabbos

Weekday clothes, pjs, socks and underwear- as soon as yt is over. After pesach think summer (bathing suits can bags etc) After Pesach think winter (coats, boots etc)

Coats? After sukkos or after Pesach? Confused

bigsis144

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 2:13 pm
My problem is that these “make the call/buy the thing, get it over with” chores are so much easier for me to remember and do!

I am fine with remembering pre-Pesach haircuts or car registration or whatever (setting reminders in google calendar is MY LIFE), but my house is falling apart every single day because I simply can’t stay on top of the daily, never-ending things (how do 3 people use 8 mugs in 18 hours???? I never stop washing dishes!!).

It’s like my brain only wants to tackle tasks that can be completed and crossed off a mental list, but for things like laundry and dishes and picking up toys, my brain shuts down in overwhelm because I know that my progress in one area will be undone the second I move onto another task. And then before you know it, my kids have beautiful color-coded school supplies but there are a week’s worth of dishes stinking up the sink and broken crayons getting stepped on in the dining room. If I had to set a google calendar reminder for “fold and put away laundry” it would turn into ignorable static after the first day.

Or maybe my brain craves the novelty of “call the DMV, buy MIL a birthday card” as opposed to the tedium of “clear off the countertops. Again.”

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:14 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
My problem is that these “make the call/buy the thing, get it over with” chores are so much easier for me to remember and do!

I am fine with remembering pre-Pesach haircuts or car registration or whatever (setting reminders in google calendar is MY LIFE), but my house is falling apart every single day because I simply can’t stay on top of the daily, never-ending things (how do 3 people use 8 mugs in 18 hours???? I never stop washing dishes!!).

It’s like my brain only wants to tackle tasks that can be completed and crossed off a mental list, but for things like laundry and dishes and picking up toys, my brain shuts down in overwhelm because I know that my progress in one area will be undone the second I move onto another task. And then before you know it, my kids have beautiful color-coded school supplies but there are a week’s worth of dishes stinking up the sink and broken crayons getting stepped on in the dining room. If I had to set a google calendar reminder for “fold and put away laundry” it would turn into ignorable static after the first day.

Or maybe my brain craves the novelty of “call the DMV, buy MIL a birthday card” as opposed to the tedium of “clear off the countertops. Again.”

Classic ADHD!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:15 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
Don't feel bad, I'm not doing most of it.

My life:

Doctor appointments: When child is sick
Dentist appointments: Not often enough
Eye doctor: ditto

Winter supplies: When child complains he/she is cold and coat is too small, can't find gloves, etc.
Camp supplies: When I realize they are going to camp tomorrow/next week
School supplies: Like camp

School/camp registrations: This I'm actually somewhat on top of
Taxes: I actually enjoy this so I start in January (sorry I'm strange like that)

Home organizing: when the muse hits

Lol, that's why I'm trying to create a list - so that it gets done, at least some of the time!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

Then def block it. My goal is to make a list to simplify my life, but if it's making you crazy, please don't look and continue doing what you were doing before!!

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:02 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

Box up 8 mugs and only keep 4 in your cabinet if that's how many family members you have using them each day. If all 4 are dirty, someone will be forced to wash one of them if they want to use a mug.
Same for plates. Only as many available as family members. Only as many forks as people. Etc.
Whittle down wardrobe to 4 tops and pants and 2 pj's. Keep washing the same pieces instead of trying to keep track of everything.
Downsize to toys that are well loved and well used. Lock up everything.
Minimize. Simplify.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:22 pm
This is a great list, but where am I supposed to put it so that I’ll see it at appropriate times?

Big sis - can you explain about the calendar reminders? How do you set it up?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics