Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Would this be a weird gift?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 2:18 pm
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
What’s the joke?
As the daughter, I’d be hurt and mortified that my mother would do such a thing.
Maybe I’m too sensitive.
the joke is that nobody wants a pic of their mil, so the sil gets dismayed but struggles manfully not to show it , then the mil gives him a real gift. The joke is rather lame (sorry OP) sil would probably not “get” it, dil would be embarrassed because the present’s inappropriate... bad idea all around.

Last edited by zaq on Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:39 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
Don’t do it! Sounds like you’re coming onto him! Oy,

Exactly.

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:43 pm
Definitely weird

How about a funny mug? There's tons on Etsy.com

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:18 pm
You can personalize a mouse pad with a pic of him and his wife. Less than $15 on amazon

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:35 pm
Why not give him a weird picture of himself instead? I did that once and it was a huge hit, then everyone got the real gift.

Ie, photo of him and your daughter making weird face, looking half asleep, unflattering angle… one of a million photos where you delete and toss. Instead frame it beautifully as if it’s a portrait of them and proudly hand it over then try not to crack up at their reaction!

Oif.Simchas.

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 9:52 pm
I see nothing good coming out of this. Very tasteless

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 1:00 am
too weird.
don't do it.

moonstone

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:31 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
Don’t do it! Sounds like you’re coming onto him! Oy,

What??? Coming on to him?? Oh, please. She's giving it to him in public and it's clearly a joke. She's not secretly texting him a picture of herself wearing lingerie!

I actually think OP's idea is kind of funny, but for a gag gift I agree with those who say to give him a mug or something with a funny MIL saying.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:54 am
For Dutch Sinterklaas parties this would be something funny/awkward but appropriate. I won't do this in Frum circles.

happyone

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:43 am
Imo its super inappropriate. I think there's a general response through this thread that its extremely off.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 6:10 am
Oy inappropriate

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 6:17 am
moonstone wrote:
What??? Coming on to him?? Oh, please. She's giving it to him in public and it's clearly a joke. She's not secretly texting him a picture of herself wearing lingerie!

I actually think OP's idea is kind of funny, but for a gag gift I agree with those who say to give him a mug or something with a funny MIL saying.

From the way OP describes it, I can see how one would think that it seems like she's coming on to him. She said she has a very good relationship with him and wants to give him a framed picture of herself. Almost as if she has a crush on him.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:43 pm
I think it's hilarious!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For Chanuka my whole family gets another family member and buys a gift for them but it is a secret who we each get.
I got my son in law. We have a very good relationship. As a joke I want to take a picture of me and frame it and give it to him right before I give him his real gift.
Is it lame or cute?

On another note what gift should I get him for under 15 dollars? He has a desk job but is good with his hands and into cars?

Yeah, its weird. You could do a book of mother in law jokes, I guess. But its would still be weird.

A cellphone mount for his car?

Swiss army knife?

Electric screwdriver?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:12 pm
Hilarious. My DH and BILs would be very amused.

People are either failing to understand or have absolutely no sense of humor.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics