Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you work PRN?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 9:19 pm
I recently took a job as a PRN care manager. I have a Masters Degree. I'm not in the NY area. My boss bills her clients an hourly rate and I get a percentage of her rate. They are all elderly or sick; my boss provides sort of a concierge care management model. We do all visits in clients home.

So far, it's been kind of so-so. She is not so organized and kind of throws me into the middle of her challenges. So she'll say "I've worked with this client for a month, they are having a crisis, can you go see them?" I don't mind doing that but it's hard stepping in in the middle of someone's else's case.

There has also been a little hiccup with my payment. She wants me to collect checks from the clients and turn them over to her. I think it's a little awkward to walk into a clients house and ask for a check made out to my boss. Then I am responsible to get the check to her. :-(
She also doesn't want to pay me until she gets full payment from the clients. So if I send her a billing sheet at the end of the month for lets say 40 hours, she wants to hold off until all the clients pay their bills. I fought back and said I needed to be paid monthly regardless of her billing status. She then went back to the "that's why you need to collect payment while you are visiting." I told her I couldn't work for her if my payment is dependent on her reimbursement. She agreed but still gives me a bit of a rough time each month when I submit my billing. She believes that part of being contractual is that she pays me only once she gets her own payment.

I am an independent contractor so I have no benefits and have to pay my own self-employment taxes.

Aside from the above challenges, I like the work. My hourly pay rate is very generous. I'm very good at what I do and would like to try to make it work long term.

We are having a meeting tomorrow to try to iron out some more of the details.

Aside from the above, what should we be addressing in our meeting? What kind of issues am I not thinking about?

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 9:33 pm
Nothing sounds great? Why not just get a permanent position (elsewhere)?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 9:36 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Nothing sounds great? Why not just get a permanent position (elsewhere)?

I quit a permanent position elsewhere before I took this. I couldn't commit to the required number of hours and responsibilities (even at a part time schedule).

I need the flexibility to work when it makes sense for me.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:02 pm
I do per diem Homecare as well. I love the work itself and the flexibility, I HATE the “office politics”/the last minute urgency of covering/the lack of consistency and benefits/patient cancels and you don’t get paid.

Would you believe I once showed up and the son had accidental locked the door, the pt was not able to get to the door and unlock it, and she couldn’t throw the keys out the window because the window was jammed. Not only did I not get paid for the visit, but I was deficient because I had failed to provide care.

All things aside, she MUST pay you in a timely fashion, irrelevant of when the agency gets paid.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 12:56 am
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
I do per diem Homecare as well. I love the work itself and the flexibility, I HATE the “office politics”/the last minute urgency of covering/the lack of consistency and benefits/patient cancels and you don’t get paid.

Would you believe I once showed up and the son had accidental locked the door, the pt was not able to get to the door and unlock it, and she couldn’t throw the keys out the window because the window was jammed. Not only did I not get paid for the visit, but I was deficient because I had failed to provide care.

All things aside, she MUST pay you in a timely fashion, irrelevant of when the agency gets paid.

That's awful! How can you be considered deficient???

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:24 pm
Update: we met today. I came in strong and she got defensive quickly. Then I got defensive. Then she started saying maybe this won't work etc.
Then I started crying. Cuz that's what I do. Whenever I get into conflict, I go straight to tears. I sat there with a box of tissues and kept using them.

That actually was good for both of us. She calmed down. I eventually stopped crying and we had a very productive conversation. I think things will be much better moving forward.

She gave me a hug on my way out.

I'm happy it worked out but kind of sad that I had to cry to make this happen. :-(
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics