Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Could I give an explanation why I don't want the job?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 9:57 pm
I was offered a job which I wasn't seeking but they offered it to me anyway.
The job has been vacant for a real long time.(iv seen it advertised in the paper for months)
I really don't want some parts to the job.
I know that I couldn't do it but they think I could. It is front end work.
There are a few other openings in the back office that I would like but the boss needs to fill in the first job first and he won't think about me taking for the back yet.
He emailed me several times asking if I would like the front end job.
I don't want to say no but there is one part of the job I physically can't do.
I need to give them an answer.
Do I tell him that as much as I would like the job I can't because of my physical limitation?
I wouldn't mind the rest of the job.
Or just say no thank you without giving an explanation?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:03 pm
Sounds like he really needs someone and thinks you would be a good fit for the position. I don't see how telling him that truth can backfire. Worst case scenario he'll say - no thanks, I can't hire you without you being able to do that specific part. You're not any worse off then when you started.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 12:10 am
There is no need for you to justify not accepting a job offer. He came looking for you, right? Thank the boss for the offer and tell him that you’re not interested. If the physical part is your only reason for refusing, and you’d jump at it otherwise, you can tell him so IF YOU WISH, but you’re not obligated. If he’s that desperate maybe he’ll hire you for the brain and find someone else for the brawn.

myname1

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:10 am
zaq wrote:
There is no need for you to justify not accepting a job offer. He came looking for you, right? Thank the boss for the offer and tell him that you’re not interested. If the physical part is your only reason for refusing, and you’d jump at it otherwise, you can tell him so IF YOU WISH, but you’re not obligated. If he’s that desperate maybe he’ll hire you for the brain and find someone else for the brawn.

I was thinking the same- if you'd really like it if not for a small physical aspect, maybe he'd be able to split the position. Sounds worthwhile to tell in that case. I'm assuming this physical limitation would not make you any less able to do the positions you are interested in, so I don't see how it could hurt to share.

ora_43

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:55 am
Would you like the job if not for that one aspect? Or would you still prefer the back-end job?

The boss's approach of only being willing to hire you for the job he's desperate to fill, not the one you actually want, is not great. If you're qualified for an open back-end position it's really weird that he's not willing to hire you for that, and look for someone else for the other open position. That's not how hiring usually works.

The fact that the position has been open for so long is also a potential red flag. Why does nobody want this job?

Basically - if you'd love the job being offered except for that one thing, I'd tell him about your physical limitation and see if he's willing to work around it. But I'd also still keep an eye open, because there are some other red flags here IMHO.

If you don't love the idea of the job in general, I'd tell him that you're not interested in that job but he should keep you in mind if/when he's hiring for the back end positions. There's no reason to take a job you weren't looking for if it's not even the kind of work you want to be doing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics