Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Homophone A-Z
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 31  32  33  Next

simcha4

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:36 pm
where
wear

simcha4

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 9:58 pm
Choirmistress wrote:
Sorry, folks, but the "entries" for A, B, E, H, M, and N are INCORRECT. They are not homophones or homonyms but only similar in pronunciation. For "air" try "err" or "heir"; for "bear", "bare"; there IS no homophone for "ear", unless you're a Cockney; "hair" and "hare" are correct, OR "here" and "hear"; "mare" and "mere" are not homophones, nor are "nee" and "knee". Now for my turn at "T": easy shmeasy! "tee" and "tea"! For "u": "use", "ewes", and "yews". For "v": "vary" and "very". And now I'll let the rest of you have fun with the final four.

According to my British pronunciation you are correct.
I just want to point out: you wrote for "v" - "vary" and "very," which may be a homophone in sound but they are not pronounced the same way so I would not place them as a homophone-
vary - the emphasis is placed at the beginning of the word
very - the emphasis, at the end of the word

like fairy and ferry

simcha4

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 10:01 pm
I wrote "w," we are holding by y or if anyone knows a homophone with x

GLUE

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:04 am
your
you're
yore

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 6:14 am
Sorry, but the stress in all four of fairy, ferry, vary, and very is on the first syllable. Nobody says "ferREE" or "verREE". And "your" and "you're" are pronounced yoor while "yore" rhymes with "ore". As for "x", another poster previously suggested "xero" and "zero", but I'm not sure "xero" qualifies as a word on its own since it is usually used as a prefix meaning "dry".

simcha4

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 7:50 am
Choirmistress wrote:
Sorry, but the stress in all four of fairy, ferry, vary, and very is on the first syllable. Nobody says "ferREE" or "verREE". And "your" and "you're" are pronounced yoor while "yore" rhymes with "ore". As for "x", another poster previously suggested "xero" and "zero", but I'm not sure "xero" qualifies as a word on its own since it is usually used as a prefix meaning "dry".

Wrong. Emphasis on fairy, ferry, vary, very, are not the same!
One does not say "fairy" the same way one says "ferry."
I was wrong - there is no emphasis on ferry and very, but there is on the beginning of FAIry and VAry.

Secondly, your, yore, and you're are pronounced like yoor in the way/sound like poor = all 3 words are pronounced the same way.

I also work in the literary field; have 20+ years of experience.

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:57 am
WADR, simcha4, I stand by my previous post. My 40+ years' experience not only as a typesetter and proofreader but as a medical (and other) secretary are not enough to qualify me as an expert in pronunciation, which this online game is about. Rather, it's my 60+ years of experience in speaking and hearing my beloved (Canadian) English. The specific words used in our respective examples are pronounced as I remarked, with or without the British dropped "R". How can a two-syllable word NOT have an emphasis on one of the syllables?!

simcha4

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 2:00 pm
Choirmistress wrote:
WADR, simcha4, I stand by my previous post. My 40+ years' experience not only as a typesetter and proofreader but as a medical (and other) secretary are not enough to qualify me as an expert in pronunciation, which this online game is about. Rather, it's my 60+ years of experience in speaking and hearing my beloved (Canadian) English. The specific words used in our respective examples are pronounced as I remarked, with or without the British dropped "R". How can a two-syllable word NOT have an emphasis on one of the syllables?!

End of discussion! Not b/c I am backing out for lack of further knowledge, but b/c this discussion can be endless!
With all due respect, you are entitled to your p.o.v.
Likewise, I am entitled to my p.o.v. so I also stand behind my words.
I realized I have to listen to and hear how Canadians speak English - their pronunciation, dialect, where they put the emphasis on a word.
I am only acquainted with British English, which btw is the proper original English, and I've heard Americans speak English, but even their English (dialect) can vary based upon upon which part of the country they grew up in, and the same for England, but my discussion is/was based upon what we call - the Queen's English.

Just pointing out, take it or leave it: there was no dropped "R" in the examples we used. In each word, - vary, very, fairy, ferry, ... one hears the "R," acc. to British English.

I will not be anwering further posts on this subject.
All the best. Have a nice day.

simcha4

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:27 pm
ok, folks, let's continue this game.
we're up to Z, I don't know of a homophone with z, if anyone does, please write it.

How about a round of A-Z Homographs - word that are spelled the same but have different meanings/definitions?
If possible kindly write the different meanings.

A - Address - Street/Rd. where a person lives, or where an office/institution is located.
Address -eg. address an issue or problem: take care of it
Address a person, call him by his title - Mr., Sir etc.

DreamerForever

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:12 pm
Bore- to drill a hole
bore- 'to bear (give birth to) a child'
bore- as in 'you're such a bore' (as in a boring person)

simcha4

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:37 pm
can -

"Can you please sit down."
Tom bought a can of Coke.

SYA

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:47 pm
Deed
- an action performed intentionally
- legal document that is signed and delivered, especially one regarding the ownership of property or legal rights.

simcha4

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 10:12 pm
entrance -

delight, wow! someone
a way to come into a building, house etc.

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 1:43 pm
For

My best friend, here is a gift for you.

I am giving you a gift, for you are my best friend.

GLUE

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 2:39 am
ground

Terra Ferma

to connect-grounding the wires

to be grounded-not to started thinking about unrealistic stuff.

SYA

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 8:31 am
Hound

a dog of a breed used for hunting, especially one able to track by scent

harass, persecute, or pursue relentlessly

GLUE

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:49 am
Ice

frozen water
to kill someone

simcha4

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 12:55 am
jam -

food
traffic jam

simcha4

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 10:57 am
key -

- turn in a lock to open a door
- press on the (units) key on a computer keyboard, same with a piano - piano keys
- the key (deciding factor) to a decision, solution etc...

dankbar

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 1:01 pm
Long

To long for
It's been so long

This table or skirt is too long
Page 7 of 33   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 31  32  33  Next Recent Topics