Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chicken for dinner
Previous  1  2

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:07 am
Success10 wrote:
Can someone tell me how to repurpose chicken on the bone? Like in a pasta? Thanks!

Buy shwarma spice.

Shred chicken and sprinkle the spice on it. Sautee in a pan. It's yum.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:07 am
Success10 wrote:
Can someone tell me how to repurpose chicken on the bone? Like in a pasta? Thanks!

Like I said, I make a really good creamy noodle chicken casserole with repurposed chicken.

newme

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:38 am
Watergirl -
Can you plz share your chicken casserole recipe?

Thanks!

pause

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:50 am
Success10 wrote:

1) Shred chicken and mash it similar to tuna, mash it up with mayonnaise and spread onto bread/roll with whatever toppings you like (sour pickles, tomatoes, onions)
2) Shred chicken and add vegetables into a bowl, lettuce, tomatoes, kirbies, sour pickles, etc. Dress it with oil or mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard and eat it in a pita.
3) Slice at least one onion (the more the better) and saute in oil till soft. Add shredded chicken pieces and whatever spices you like. I do paprika, shwarma spice, and salt. Saute with the chicken for about 10 minutes. Serve it with crackers, atop mashed beans, or on an avocado toast.

dankbar

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:04 am
I shred chicken from soup & saute with onions, carrots & zucchini + spices. Put into a pita or wrap

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:35 am
So many ways to use leftover chicken

Chicken pot pie
Chicken tetrazini
Chicken lo mein
Eggrolls
Fried rice
BBQ chicken sandwiches
BBQ chicken over fries (loaded fries)
Chicken Tacos
Chicken salad. I make a great one for shabbos with facon, corn and avocado

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:42 am
I always repurpose chicken
First get it off the bone
If it’s white I shred it and make a mayonnaisy
Chicken salad
Chicken
Celery
Diced apple
Salt, pepper
Mayo
Tiny bit of mustard (optional)
Serve a scoop on salad or in bread
This with soup makes a great complete meal

Dark meat
Shred of the bone but leave in bigger chunks
Asian style- with rice, pasta, or stir fry veg
Italian style with lots of onions, tomato, sauce, peppers- served on pasta
Shawarma style - lots and lots of onions sautéed with shawarma spices
Chicken pot pie- ish - sautée lots of frozen veggies that are bite size - take leftover broth and cook it down until really thick
Add chicken - then you can put it in a pyrex and top with any store bought dough
Or serve it on top of toasted bun, rice, noodles

The secret to repurposing chicken is to throw it in at the END of cooking time and just heating it through until it gets a little of the flavoring

Also if I don’t have enough I freeze off the bone until I collect enough
I also use the bones to make soup

tweety1

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:36 am
Success10 wrote:

I sautee vegetables, onion, and garlic, and salt. Take the chicken off the bone. Chunk it up. Add it to the vegetables. I usually do it on Thursdays or Sundays with all leftover chicken or beef. All flavors combined. My kids love it.

dena613

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 12:06 pm
Nonchicken fleishig meals

Spaghetti and meatballs
Stirfry
Spaghetti and meat sauce
Hamburgers
Sloppy joe

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 12:25 pm
newme wrote:
Watergirl -
Can you plz share your chicken casserole recipe?

Thanks!

Make a roux with margarine and flour. Add your favorite pareve milk (about 2/3 cup I guess) - I like almond for this, whisking constantly so it does not clump, all over a med-low flame. Once it thickens, add the broth 2 ladles at at time and again, whisk it in. Let it thicken, then add more broth. Let thicken, add more broth... you get the point. I do this for a while so it gets a really nice and creamy and rich taste. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste. Then add the shredded chicken from the soup and whatever vegetables you like. I also put the carrots from the soup. You can also throw in a bag of frozen peas and carrots if your family will eat it. At this point, pour over whatever noodle you like best (I like macaroni, shells, or rotini for this, not spaghetti or ziti).

OR - you can ALSO pour the sauce into a prepared pie shell to make chicken pot pie! For this, do as I wrote above, and add canned potatos, diced. For this you need the peas and carrots, and leave the chicken diced. Roll out puff pastry dough, egg the top, cut a few slits, and bake. SO GOOD.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 2:04 pm
watergirl wrote:
Make a roux with margarine and flour. Add your favorite pareve milk (about 2/3 cup I guess) - I like almond for this, whisking constantly so it does not clump, all over a med-low flame. Once it thickens, add the broth 2 ladles at at time and again, whisk it in. Let it thicken, then add more broth. Let thicken, add more broth... you get the point. I do this for a while so it gets a really nice and creamy and rich taste. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste. Then add the shredded chicken from the soup and whatever vegetables you like. I also put the carrots from the soup. You can also throw in a bag of frozen peas and carrots if your family will eat it. At this point, pour over whatever noodle you like best (I like macaroni, shells, or rotini for this, not spaghetti or ziti).

OR - you can ALSO pour the sauce into a prepared pie shell to make chicken pot pie! For this, do as I wrote above, and add canned potatos, diced. For this you need the peas and carrots, and leave the chicken diced. Roll out puff pastry dough, egg the top, cut a few slits, and bake. SO GOOD.

After you pour the cooked noodles over the creamy chicken mix, what do you do to make it into a casserole?

watergirl

Post Sat, Oct 22 2022, 7:26 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
After you pour the cooked noodles over the creamy chicken mix, what do you do to make it into a casserole?

Just saw this (thank you to the amother who found and posted this link in a current thread!!!). Cooked noodles + sauce and bake if desired = casserole!

amother
Chambray

Post Sat, Oct 22 2022, 10:59 pm
We have chicken only if it’s Shabbos leftovers. Otherwise, it’s pretty expensive for us.

Other weeknight fleishig might occasionally be hotdogs or something with ground turkey, but this is not every week.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen