Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Metal Baking Pans

Oldest

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 1:31 pm
I want to buy metal baking pans for cookies, cakes etc. What do I need to keep in mind when looking for them. What materials are best (ie aluminum/copper)? And how does it affect cooking time and how the baked goods come as opposed to disposable ones?
Please post links!

Thanks

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:30 pm
Factors to consider (in random order)
1. cost
2. durability
3. ease of cleaning and other maintenance
4. storage (nesting vs. not nesting)
5. versatility
6. how often you will use them
7. what you will use them for
8. evennness of heat conduction

Dark pans absorb heat and bake faster, so you may need to bake at a lower temperature--usually 25 degrees F lower--lest the contents burn. It saves energy.

"Nonstick" like "one size fits all" is a myth. Pans coated in Teflon or similar coatings aren't worth the money. Eventually all pans stick to some extent and coated pans can't be scoured. You could, of course, use parchment paper liners, but in that case, what's the point of the coating?

Wait--why am I reinventing the wheel? This discusses all types, including some I never heard of or considered:
https://www.webstaurantstore.c......html It says "muffin baking" but the info applies to baking pans of all shapes

Oldest

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 9:25 am
Thank you!!

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 10:14 am
For cookies, the best are the professional half sheets. They are durable and inexpensive. They are made of a high quality durable aluminum.

I have silicone mats as well as parchment paper which I use to line my cookie sheets so they don't stick and cleanup is essentially just a rinse and very easy.

For Bundt pans, the only brand to consider is Nordicware. Bundt is actually their trademark. You absolutely need to have a Bundt pan be Teflon/non stick because the design of the pan makes it necessary and they last forever since you are not scraping the bottom of the pan or cleaning it with abrasives that wear off the finish.

What else do you cook? If you go to a restaurant supply store they generally have excellent quality baking stuff for good prices.

Some essentials would be

High quality springform pan for cheesecakes. This also is used for certain items that need the sides to be released

Loaf pans - three at least or more depending on what you bake. Also the mini sizes are good

Muffin/Cupcake pans - regular size as well as mini. Again the teflon/nonstock are very functional or else you have to use liners to ensure they release.

Square 8" or 9" pan - heavy duty aluminum

Round Layer Pans at least three of these. They don't need to be nonstick because I use parchment paper that is greased at the bottom as well as spraying with the flour/oil combination or you can go old school and just flour the greased paper
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars