Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Uninvited guests
Previous  1  2  3

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:44 pm
We once had like ten guys crash our Friday night meal. I literally put out potato chips and pretzels because there was nothing to eat.
(The guys' excuse? "We figured you wouldn't mind and if we each brought a bottle of wine it'd be fine." Aaargh)
I usually don't mind extra guests. The one time recently I was annoyed was when dh brought home three guys the week after I gave birth. I told them to come in obviously but inwardly I was hoping their mothers would scream at them after for going to a kimpeturin...

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:50 pm
zaq wrote:
You're a tzadekes.

Not really
Sometimes it makes you appreciate things you take for granted.
Dh found a guy standing forlorn on the st.
He was new in town. Recently divorced. Living in a room with no kitchen. Thought he was eating by someone and when get there no one answered the door. Dh brought him home.
Seeing him like that made me appreciate the fact I was eating water snd carrots in my warm loving home. It’s not so bad then.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
Not really
Sometimes it makes you appreciate things you take for granted.
Dh found a guy standing forlorn on the st.
He was new in town. Recently divorced. Living in a room with no kitchen. Thought he was eating by someone and when get there no one answered the door. Dh brought him home.
Seeing him like that made me appreciate the fact I was eating water snd carrots in my warm loving home. It’s not so bad then.

Do you really cut the soup so close that one additional person meant that you didn't get soup? Next time, serve the soup in cups, and have some for yourself.

I always make enough on Shabbat for at least one leftover meal, so there's plenty for unexpected guests. And I can always add more to the salad.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:57 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Do you really cut the soup so close that one additional person meant that you didn't get soup? Next time, serve the soup in cups, and have some for yourself.

I always make enough on Shabbat for at least one leftover meal, so there's plenty for unexpected guests. And I can always add more to the salad.

Why should she have done that? That would just make the guest feel uncomfortable for imposing. What she did is real hachnasas orchim - pretend that she was having even though she wasn't.

And I get not having enough. It's usually just us and two kids so I do make pretty tight if I'm not expecting guests, we prefer not to have much leftovers. And soup can boil in more than expected on the hotplate and leave you with less than you were counting on.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 6:20 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:

It was an unusual situation. This is years ago when it was just us 2. Some Bachrim surprised us before Shabbos with a visit. They ate almost all my schnitzel. There were only 2 pieces left. I wasn’t going to serve soup but bec there was so little food I took a small container of 2 servings out of the freezer and heated right before Shabbos.
It was really just the perfect storm.
I should’ve known Hashem would send us guests that Shabbos

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:39 pm
Right now it’s just the two of us and I make exactly what we like. We don’t like to throw food so I make pretty exact. If I guess would show up I would have plenty of challah and dip But not much of anything else so I would be pretty annoyed

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:58 pm
I’ve had such guest but usually there was a valid reason I wasn’t notified and they were unexpected….
But even if not, if they’re unexpected it’s okay if there isn’t enough of everything.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics