Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Grand kids chanukah gift

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:02 am
Please help a grandma

I’m ok with one really big gift for the family and a gift - less than $10 for each to open
Or a gift for each - NO more than $50 each, less is better

Family 1= 2 girls ages 10 and 4
Family 2 = 5 boys ages 10,8,6,3,1
Family 3= 1 boy age 8, 2 girls ages 4 and 1

On- line best so I can just ship it out to each family
No clothing
No books
Since I get them these things randomly

Rose Chocolate

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:20 am
Maybe get the 5 boys an outdoor toy that they can share? Like a soccer goal or a slide.
For family 1 I would say get them something seperate because of the age gap. Have they ever tried sylvanian families? They are these really cute animal toys with little towns and shops and figurines.
Another big present idea could be a marble run. Its super fun for them to set up and just watch all the marbles go down.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:24 am
Just ask the parents to send you a link to what they want, ask them to send it before ___ date so everything can be ordered and you don't have to worry about it. Give them a budget per gift. That way you know you will be getting something they want and will enjoy.

You sound like a very generous grandma!

dankbar

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:45 am
For one year olds push toys to practice walking. Push & ride bikes.

For older boys- small lego or playmobil if they don't have babies around or if they have separate place to play.
Board games for family
Table hockey, Rummy, Catan Junior, Blitz Bild are fun family games.
For older boys you can get them musical keyboard.
Building models.

For older girls you can get a more sophisticated craft thing that creates something that lasts.
Diamond art or something that will be decorative for their room.

For girls younger baby dolls & accessories like carriages
For older girls if they like 18" dolls with clothes, furniture & accessories

You can also do one big bucket of building toy for entire family like clicks, magna tiles, duplo legos, play stix.

Last edited by dankbar on Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:47 am
Get everyone a Lego or playmobil set and little people sets for the babies.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:48 am
I’d do an experience. A day trip with grandma. An overnight getaway with you maybe to a hotel with a pool.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:50 am
I have boys 11/7/5 and one really fun toy they share are hot wheel cars with a lot of tracks. My oldest likes to come with with really elaborate loops and twists etc and the littler boys put the cars on. They also make some really cool battery powered sets.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 12:12 pm
Do they have the Naki radio? Are they the type?

Or circle subscription

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 12:13 pm
Rose Chocolate wrote:
Maybe get the 5 boys an outdoor toy that they can share? Like a soccer goal or a slide.
For family 1 I would say get them something seperate because of the age gap. Have they ever tried sylvanian families? They are these really cute animal toys with little towns and shops and figurines.
Another big present idea could be a marble run. Its super fun for them to set up and just watch all the marbles go down.

IMNSHO all of the families have big enough age gaps, oldest to youngest, that any single gift is not going to be used by all of them. Unless its an experience, like a trip to the zoo or a museum.

Definitely ask the parents for suggestions.

cnc

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
Do they have the Naki radio? Are they the type?

Or circle subscription

These are great gifts.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 12:57 pm
cnc wrote:
These are great gifts.

Not unless specifically requested.

A parent receiving these may well consider it a commentary on their parenting. Either "what do they they think I let the kids watch p0rn, so I need this?" or "we let the kids watch what WE think is appropriate, how dare they bring this carp into our home."

groovy1224

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 1:11 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
IMNSHO all of the families have big enough age gaps, oldest to youngest, that any single gift is not going to be used by all of them. Unless its an experience, like a trip to the zoo or a museum.

Definitely ask the parents for suggestions.

Agree. There's so many threads here about what to do with unwanted gifts. I say simplify, and ask!

Plus the parents might already know what other grandparents/relatives are buying, and/or what a particular child might be into at the moment.

My mother does this every year, the kids don't know that the parents really picked out the gifts, but everyone wins. The kids get gifts they ACTUALLY want, the parents don't have to deal with unnecessary clutter, and grandma is the hero! Imamother has great suggestions but not EVERY child wants playmobil and magnatiles.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 2:38 pm
I have four families to give to. Two years ago a friend of mine told me to subscribe each family to spotlight magazine and I did. Since then each year I simply renew their subscription and that's about it. They love it, I love it... I don't have to wrack my brain each year.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 2:40 pm
Oh, and I forgot to mention I just buy a doll each year for the toddlers who cannot enjoy the magazine yet. A doll every year is never too much...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 3:37 pm
Great suggestions
They have all mentioned
As the families grow it gets harder and harder

I usually get them pjs socks underwear
Are these the only gifts grandma can get them
They have 1,000,001 lego, hot wheels, etc.

Wanted to send them all to Disney but it’s out of my budget

BTW I live in FL but none of the grandkids do

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:38 pm
You sound like a great grandmother. Personally, I would check with the parents, maybe offer a choice of a board game, playmobil, experience etc and see which they prefer.
I know my kids have lists of the things they'd like me to buy, and whenever my mom asks what they want, I tell her these are the things they'd like, and she can just choose from the list what's in her budget.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:45 pm
Check out Kiwi Crate. Amazing subscription boxes for a variety of ages and interests. My kids love the Kiwi crate and the Tinker crate.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:48 pm
My kids say you can never have enough magna tiles.

We have probably 5 big boxes combined.
Between chanukahs and bdays and random..
And thats the 1 toy all my boys play with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics