Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Milk bottle for just 2

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:02 pm
It's just me and dh. If we defrost a whole bottle of milk, it spoils in a few days because it's just us 2. Any tips? I don't want to split it into water bottles- grosses me out. Sometimes we defrost and then refreeze every day or so but it's annoying and often leaves us without defrosted milk. I know they sell small milk bottles, but those are more expensive. What do other people do?

PP31419

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:07 pm
If you freeze the milk and then defrost it the shelflife will be shorter. Unless it’s difficult to get fresh milk with a good date in your community I would buy fresh and not freeze it. It should last 1.5 weeks. Make iced coffee if you have a decent amount left after a week

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:09 pm
PP31419 wrote:
If you freeze the milk and then defrost it the shelflife will be shorter. Unless it’s difficult to get fresh milk with a good date in your community I would buy fresh and not freeze it. It should last 1.5 weeks. Make iced coffee if you have a decent amount left after a week

1.5 weeks?? No way! We keep cholov yisrael if that makes a diff

PP31419

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:16 pm
41793371 wrote:
I also keep chalav Yisroel. Yes even two weeks sometimes and I’m super particular about food safety and would never drink questionable milk. Trick is not to leave it out and always put it back in the fridge immediately after pouring. Also reach for milk in the back of the fridge at your local grocery for the fresher dates Devash and golden flow lasts longer for me than some other brands. Also some groceries leave the mail sitting outside which cuts down on shelf life.

hellokitty

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:21 pm
I just buy the smaller milk. if I waste it because it tastes gross or weirds me out it winds up just as expensive.

MySpace

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:38 pm
Buy a milk pitcher and pour half into that and freeze the other half.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/v.....w_wcB

Last edited by MySpace on Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

ohmygosh

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:40 pm
I also find golden flow lasts longer.

jellybelly94

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:43 pm
Pride of the farm is the longest lasting but I don't think they sell in NY for some reason

mommyhood

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:44 pm
41793371 wrote:

Our CY milk lasts at least a week with the occasional bottle spoiling quickly, usually in the summer.
Pride of the farm is the best, golden flow is a far second.

YounginBP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:16 pm
PP31419 wrote:
I also keep chalav Yisroel. Yes even two weeks sometimes and I’m super particular about food safety and would never drink questionable milk. Trick is not to leave it out and always put it back in the fridge immediately after pouring. Also reach for milk in the back of the fridge at your local grocery for the fresher dates Devash and golden flow lasts longer for me than some other brands. Also some groceries leave the mail sitting outside which cuts down on shelf life.

Agree. Try another grocery. Make chocolate pudding, oatmeal etc... cold cereal literally uses a 1/4 bottle per portion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars