Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Have you had a name you didn’t love but had to give?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:45 pm
I must give chaim nachman after my grandfather but will only give nachman since my hub is chaim. I’m waiting for this name to grow on me. I know I have no other choice whatsoever for multiple reasons. Hopefully I will start liking it very soon

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:46 pm
Can you use a nickname like Nachi?

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:49 pm
I actually didn’t like the name I gave but I felt that I should rather give a name of closer generation than going down 5 generations. At first I had a hard time calling the child by name. By now I’m pretty ok w it bh.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:49 pm
Nevermind.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:58 pm
I Wanted to name my daughter רחל
After my grandmother but that was the same name as my mother-in-law so I named her rachel in English and gave her Hebrew name after an aunt who recently passed away my mom told me she was not crazy about the name rachel

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:11 am
I gave my child the name Yehudis after a close relative. I don’t really dislike it, but it’s ‘blah’ to me. It’s still growing on me over a year later. How much time did it take previous posters (or future?) for the name to grow on them?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:13 am
My parent asked me if it would be possible to give a different name than planned (I was anyway giving a name from that parents side) because the Name I was planning on giving was used many time already but the other name was a name they’ve always wanted and no one gave it. At the time I couldn’t stomach giving the requested name but I would have given it anyway except my husband said no way. Our next child was born and was the same gender. We couldn’t think of a name to give and my husband suggested the previously requested name. I couldn’t believe it but he was all for it. We gave that name and it is the most perfect name for that child.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:23 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I gave my child the name Yehudis after a close relative. I don’t really dislike it, but it’s ‘blah’ to me. It’s still growing on me over a year later. How much time did it take previous posters (or future?) for the name to grow on them?

Took a few month

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:26 am
I named my son after my husband's grandmother. I didn't love the name at all, but it wasn't unusual.
My son is 4 now. I absolutely love his name - probably because he's such a sweet soul. Now I think all people with that name are awesome! It took me 2 years to like his name.

I named my daughter after my grandma, which is a very uncommon name. I knew I'd name after her, but I never loved the name. I didn't love it so much until a few months in of calling my daughter by her name. It totally grew on me so much that I now love this name. She's 18 months.

If you don't hate the name, I'm pretty sure you'll love it once you name your baby - maybe not immediately, but soon enough.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:45 am
My husband is Nachman. I never thought I'd like the name but here I am, I voluntarily chose it! You end up liking whichever name you choose in my opinion. It just takes time! There are also cute nicknames like Nachi and Nachmi! He has cousins with those nicknames and I like them but he wasn't used to them because he never had one so we don't use one.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:05 am
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
I named my son after my husband's grandmother. I didn't love the name at all, but it wasn't unusual.
My son is 4 now. I absolutely love his name - probably because he's such a sweet soul. Now I think all people with that name are awesome! It took me 2 years to like his name.

I named my daughter after my grandma, which is a very uncommon name. I knew I'd name after her, but I never loved the name. I didn't love it so much until a few months in of calling my daughter by her name. It totally grew on me so much that I now love this name. She's 18 months.

If you don't hate the name, I'm pretty sure you'll love it once you name your baby - maybe not immediately, but soon enough.

You changed the name into male version?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:34 am
We named my DD a name that I didn't really like, not because I had to, but my DH really really really wanted to.
It's not that I didn't like the name, but I though it just was a little old fashioned for the circles we were in.
But since then, it has just become her. And we know several other girls with that name, so it wasn't as rare as I had thought.

Tof Umachol

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:56 am
I named my son after my husband's grandfather. I really wasn't crazy about the name, although I didn't actively dislike it.
Now I love it! It is associated with my adorable son. It even amuses me to remember that once I didn't really like the name.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:55 am
I've almost never given the exact same name to anyone, I've nearly always changed them into names I like (specifically, names that had beautiful literal Hebrew meanings) and that match the gender I had. My parents did the same; I'm named after my grandfather, so obviously not the same exact name. For example, I have a Nechama that's named after a Menachem, and others that are named, in Hebrew, after the meaning of the original Yiddish names our relatives had.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:11 am
My son is also Nachman, after my grandfather. DH hated the name, I didnt love it but really wanted to name for me grandfather, and we added a name for DHs grandfather in front (it just flowed better), which I didnt love either. Most people have dropped the Nachman because the other name is easier, I still call him by both and it's been a couple of years. Still dont love the name, but we love him.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:26 am
I found that learning more about the grandfather my husband wanted to name after (with a name I didn't like) really helped me get excited to it! It wasn't a weird name or something, just something I wasn't so excited about, learning about his greatness and hoping for it to affect the baby (names are so powerful!!!) helped.
Also, as the family got more and more children with the name, I grew so accustomed to it.

endlesslybaking

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:37 am
We had to name our oldest daughter after my husband's grandmother. We both genuinely disliked the name. 18 years later we still don't love it, but we are truly used to it. My daughter likes her name though, she likes that it's rare and unique and she was named after such a tzadekes. That's all that matters in the end. That the kids like their names, and usually they do. They have a different perspective on it than us.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:50 am
Anyone else just didn’t give the name?

I find people care more about the feelings of the dead relative than the feelings of the living child.
If the name is not pretty, I don’t think it’s fair to do that to the child.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 6:10 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Anyone else just didn’t give the name?

I find people care more about the feelings of the dead relative than the feelings of the living child.
If the name is not pretty, I don’t think it’s fair to do that to the child.

Agree with you, that is but if it's a weird name. There are plenty of very well accepted nice names, but it might just not ring with you. It seems like this was the case with OP.

Weird names are so not fair to the child. In fact I know two people who had weird names and asked their children not to give the name after their passing.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:03 am
You never have to give any name. Feeling pressured to name YOUR child something you don't connect with because of someone else's ego is sad.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names