Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Attn home owners, what maintenance is necessary

Moonlight

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:49 pm
I'm a fairly new home owner and someone mentioned to me that they are booking their yearly HVAC servicing before winter starts. And I dont even know what they mean.
What maintenance am I supposed to be doing and how often? Like gutters, dryer vent ( havent done either yet) etc

torquoise

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:19 pm
It's a great question, just none of us want to think about the maintenance that we're supposed to be doing but we're not, lol

torquoise

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:23 pm
In all seriousness, here are a few I can think of
Change HVAC filter every 3 months
Clean gutters occasionally, if they get leaves in them
Before the winter, turn off any hoses/hose bib, and make sure the pipe is empty of water,

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:39 am
torquoise wrote:
In all seriousness, here are a few I can think of
Change HVAC filter every 3 months
Clean gutters occasionally, if they get leaves in them
Before the winter, turn off any hoses/hose bib, and make sure the pipe is empty of water,
You most certainly do not have to change the filters every 3 months. You should be cleaning the filters every few months and most definitely before and after each season. But you do not have to change them.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:07 am
I have my dryer vent cleaned once a year.

essie14

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:16 am
I have a service that cleans our ac filters every 2 months. While they're doing that they see if anything needs a deep cleaning. We live in an area with A TON of dust so this is very necessary.

I clean my dryer vent every few months.
We don't have gutters but my parents have their cleaned before and after the winter.

shanie5

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:59 pm
Getting your furnace cleaned before turning on the heat every year should be on the list.

Check the grout or caulking around bathtubs and showers. Holes mean leaks and ruined walls and ceilings if they leak through to the floor below.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 3:28 pm
It is good to schedule a HVAC before the season you need it most. I am in Los Angeles so I book my annual service call before the summer because not having A/C in the summer is the same as not having heat in the winter in the Northeast Smile

My A/C filters are disposable so they aren't cleaned. They are meant to be replaced every three months or so.

Here is a very good checklist which breaks down what needs to be checked and inspected and maintained annually as well as specific seasonally

https://www.bhg.com/home-impro.....list/

https://www.homelight.com/blog.....dule/

tp3

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 3:43 pm
It depends on the condition of your home that you bought it in but eventually, there'll be brick work and resealing the roof. Why not mention the things that cost the most.Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics