Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning Lady sent a text
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:18 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Maybe it was the going rate before but now the going rate went up.

I don't think it's gone up in my area. But even so, the employee can discuss it with her current employer if that is the issue.

In fact, I just hired another woman to come after I come back from my trip and she is happy to take 2 dollars less than what I paid my previous lady. Go figure.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:10 am
That's why I don't believe she really dropped me because of the missed day. She probably got offered another job that was better for her.

I bet this is exactly what is going on, she found a better job and now you have the chance to get a better cleaning lady. Your good intentions and loyalty towars her are great but she works to support her family, I'd leave any job if I'm going to be paid more. Cleaning ladies are no different.

Have you seen the gas prices? Inflation affects us all, including the cleaning ladies. Goods and services are more expensive so they also charge more. Whoever doesn't want to pay more need to clean after themselves, after all amother bergamot just said "it's not a hard job"

Genius

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:00 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

Have you seen the gas prices? Inflation affects us all, including the cleaning ladies. Goods and services are more expensive so they also charge more.

The only problem with your inflation point is that inflation doesn’t come with universal raises. It doesn’t work that way. So you’re right that all of our expenses shot through the roof but we all (or most of us) still need to beg for a raise. It doesn’t happen organically.
I also think that cleaning ladies work with the system of supply and demand. If there are few people who want to do this job, they can ask for however much they see fit. You don’t have to pay it. If they ask for too much, nobody will hire them and they will be forced to lower their rate.

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:04 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
That's why I don't believe she really dropped me because of the missed day. She probably got offered another job that was better for her.

I bet this is exactly what is going on, she found a better job and now you have the chance to get a better cleaning lady. Your good intentions and loyalty towars her are great but she works to support her family, I'd leave any job if I'm going to be paid more. Cleaning ladies are no different.

Have you seen the gas prices? Inflation affects us all, including the cleaning ladies. Goods and services are more expensive so they also charge more. Whoever doesn't want to pay more need to clean after themselves, after all amother bergamot just said "it's not a hard job"

There is this idea that we all deserve raises and to be paid the going rate. Some areas (like the one everyone complains about in regards to cleaning help "demanding" higher pay) is notorious for artificially inflated pay for frum workers. Why can "we" ask for more pay, "we" can go to a job where the pay is higher, but "they" can not?

Genius

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:09 am
watergirl wrote:
There is this idea that we all deserve raises and to be paid the going rate. Some areas (like the one everyone complains about in regards to cleaning help "demanding" higher pay) is notorious for artificially inflated pay for frum workers. Why can "we" ask for more pay, "we" can go to a job where the pay is higher, but "they" can not?

I think the problem is the lack of communication. They let you know that the other lady pays more so bye bye! I hope “we” don’t do that to our bosses.

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:10 am
Genius wrote:
I think the problem is the lack of communication. They let you know that the other lady pays more so bye bye! I hope “we” don’t do that to our bosses.

That is true, and I’m wondering if it is cultural. But people also complain when they’re cleaning health asks for more pay in an appropriate way.

Genius

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:16 am
watergirl wrote:
That is true, and I’m wondering if it is cultural. But people also complain when they’re cleaning health asks for more pay in an appropriate way.

I’m sure part of it is cultural. As I said before, they can ask, you don’t have to pay. Then there’s the part where they drop you two weeks before pesach, which is another masechta.

mmesti

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:30 am
I’m sure part of it is cultural. As I said before, they can ask, you don’t have to pay

This. You don't have to pay. Clean after yourself. This is not about loyalty, it is about you paying or not. You don't want to, get to clean up. The wealthy people who can afford to pay will continue to have cleaning help.

mazeltov

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:40 am
by the way, ,with the language barrier, perhaps the cleaning lady misunderstood you and thought you were telling her not to come on friday anymore. maybe she didn't realize it was only one friday and she thought you were cutting out one day a week from her schedule for the future.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 10:59 am
All's well that ends well. B'H she saved you the trouble of having to fire her and give her two weeks severance pay.

I hope your new help is reliable and trustworthy. I'd consider a nanny cam in any room where anything valuable might be kept, at least for the first few months.

observer

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you.
I do think sometimes this expectation of loyalty goes only one way. In other words, some workers feel that they could take off without consequence, but if you need to take a day off- you need to pay them for their day off. I know it's not the same thing, but still.

My cleaning lady wrote that she always respects my days. But it has happened numerous times in the years she worked for me that she texted me an hour after she should have shown up to that she can't come.. or at times she simply did not show up, and texted after the fact that she had an appointment. On the other hand, aside from the 2 weeks of quarantine , I don't remember ever having cancelled on her. If I can't have her on one day, I give her another day in the week to make up for it. This time I will be away for half the week so it didn't make sense.

Her reaction was so extreme for someone with whom I had a working relationship for 13 years. She left my house on Friday with a fresh challa, fish and salad, seemingly very happy.

I think the first poster was correct- she was probably looking for an excuse to leave because she got a better paying job. I also think her husband is making her do this.

Sounds very fair. With that type of arrangement, you are not obligated to pay her for one day. It goes both ways.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:44 pm
Genius wrote:
The only problem with your inflation point is that inflation doesn’t come with universal raises. It doesn’t work that way. So you’re right that all of our expenses shot through the roof but we all (or most of us) still need to beg for a raise. It doesn’t happen organically.
I also think that cleaning ladies work with the system of supply and demand. If there are few people who want to do this job, they can ask for however much they see fit. You don’t have to pay it. If they ask for too much, nobody will hire them and they will be forced to lower their rate.

Actually the lower end labor market is being forced to pay significantly higher wages. Many MacDonalds (for example) are paying $18 per hour. Restaurants that aren't willing to pay this can't find help.

Inflation disproportionately impacts lower income people because they don't have discretionary income and so a much higher percentage of their income is spent on essentials like food - or gas if applicable.

Social Security is getting a COLA increase of 5.9% for next year which is a good thing (IMO) since most SS beneficiaries rely on their SS payments and don't have much "fat" in their budget.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics