Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Uncomfortable incident/feelings
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
Didn’t read the whole thread but I wouldn’t be able to look at this guy in the face after what he said to your mom.
I also wouldn’t invite them over. You tried a few times & they were busy.
Forget it.
He sounds very toxic & I’d stay away.

Your mom made a mistake for goodness sake.
I’d NEVER treat a guest that way. People here are making way too big of a deal about losing a key. She’s human, felt really bad about it & it sounds like your mom tried hard to compensate.
Wow. Shockingly rude on his part.

Of course he was rude. No justification for that.

However losing a key is a big deal. I live in a high crime area and it would be foolish to not change the locks.

We have a combination so it's not an issue for me but don't make light of it. It's not just the cost of a key. It's an entire lock change which is expensive.

gamanit

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:02 am
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
Right. For all you know the woman may have left the key in the lock, and someone came by and took it just waiting for the oppty to break in without having to "break" in.

I walk for exercise in the very early am before going to work. One morning I passed a house with the keys in the lock. I didn't want to wake up the household at 5 in the morning, but what was the alternative? The person who answered the bell wasn't happy to be roused at that hour but sure was grateful.

Why did you wake them up? You couldn't slip the keys under the door or put in mail slot?

SixOfWands wrote:
I don't know a soul who uses a combination lock.

Do you change the combination every week? Otherwise, there are how many people out there who can get into your home.

If you ever give anyone a copy of your key they can always use it. It literally costs $1 to make a copy and you would never know. We rely on trust when it comes to allowing people into our homes. If you ever feel like a houseguest was not worthy of your trust you can always change a code far easier than replacing a lock.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:07 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Paid for the key? You mean a dollar for a copy? No, she needs to pay for a new lock if they’re changing it which I’m sure they are,

If they choose to change the lock, isn’t that their choice? They CAN just get a new key made. If they are choosing to go the extra mile, why is that her responsibility? Maybe split it, maybe maybe, but pay for the whole thing? I don’t get why.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:26 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I don't know a soul who uses a combination lock.

Do you change the combination every week? Otherwise, there are how many people out there who can get into your home.

If I was worried that people I give the code to would come back and rob me, I probably wouldn’t have them in my house in the first place. I don’t know people who are so paranoid….

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:36 am
gamanit wrote:
If you ever give anyone a copy of your key they can always use it. It literally costs $1 to make a copy and you would never know. We rely on trust when it comes to allowing people into our homes. If you ever feel like a houseguest was not worthy of your trust you can always change a code far easier than replacing a lock.

Not every house has a mail slot or even a mailbox.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:37 am
gamanit wrote:
Why did you wake them up? You couldn't slip the keys under the door or put in mail slot? .

AAMOF, I couldn’t. This is a big city, not a rural hamlet. We have solid well-fitted doors that go all the way down to the floor and it’s hard to slip a sheet of paper underneath, let alone a fat ring of multiple keys. We also have a block of solid locked mailboxes for the entire complex, not mail slots in our front doors.

gamanit

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:01 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
AAMOF, I couldn’t. This is a big city, not a rural hamlet. We have solid well-fitted doors that go all the way down to the floor and it’s hard to slip a sheet of paper underneath, let alone a fat ring of multiple keys. We also have a block of solid locked mailboxes for the entire complex, not mail slots in our front doors.

In that case it makes sense...
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics