Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Parents mispronouncing baby name
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:45 am
My in-laws do this, with a couple of my kids. I don't say anything. When one was old enough to she tried to correct them but it never really helped. Now my kids are used to it and for the most part just let it go, though they complain to me about it sometimes when we're not with their grandparents.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 6:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My parents pronounce my baby's name differently than we do. It really annoys me. I can't say it's WRONG because some people pronounce it like that (sefardim). But we aren't sefardi. Parents are BT. How can I get them to pronounce it like we do without them being offended? Is that even reasonable, that I want them to pronounce it like we do?

What I do is tell the baby"say my name is xxx not ccx"

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:27 pm
Hah.

My son refused to use a certain name because the fam couldn't agree on how it would be pronounced (e.g. the girls would have said Rut and my son would insist on Rus.)

So they ended up naming Yehudis.

Which in our yeshivish world is pronounced with a shortish U sound - kind of like Ye-hood-iss, if you follow me.

But my mother says Ye HOOOO dis. And she ain't learning anything new at this point...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 6:01 pm
Hate to tell you, Vermilion, your mother is correct. The short “oo” as in “cook” exists in neither Hebrew nor classical Yiddish. It’s closer to the long “oo” sound as in “boot” . The shorter sound is an American corruption.

But be that as it may... why the resentment? Your mother isn’t making fun of your kid or calling her by a name that’s not hers as she’d be doing if she called your Elan, Alan. If she said potayto when you say potahto would you claim she’s wrong and get all huffy?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names