Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Using a pediatrician for ADHD meds

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 9:51 am
I have an adhd diagnosis for my 8 year old from a very highly recommended neuropsych. I do not have money for a private psychiatrist and was really unimpressed with the clinic I went to for meds.

Bh its just a focus issue and her behavior is fine. She only takes the meds on school days. Her classroom teachers and even her one on one special ed teachers are still not happy with her focus. I am thinking of just going to my regular pediatrician and asking him for a prescription for a different brand of ADHD meds and working through him until we hopefully find one that works.

Did anyone just use their regular pediatrician for this and what was your experience?

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 10:14 am
I did not. But for my uncomplicated ADHD child, I use a very reputable neurologist who accepts insurance and treats a lot of ADHD. In NJ if you want I can post name. I spoke to Relief and they said that she is the only neurologist they recommend. But they did make sure to say that it is only for very uncomplicated adhd. If there are other symptoms, any anxiety, behavior, etc then they only recommend going to a good psychiatrist.

For my more complicated child with ADHD (behavior, anxiety, etc) I pay out of pocket for a top psychiatrist.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 10:17 am
I do but my pediatrician is very knowledgeable. They partner with a therapy clinic to provide mental health services. I feel that they know this area very well. Not all MDs are even comfortable prescribing this at all so you need to do some research.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:00 pm
bump. anyone else?

paperflowers

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:31 pm
I would use a pediatrician to monitor medication after it’s set, but not to start or switch medications.

As an aside, the goal here is to make sure your daughters needs are met, not to keep her teachers happy or make her easier to manage. The implication of “bh just focus not behavior” is that it’s most important to treat the symptoms that bother the adults, not the ones that most disturb the child. It can be really easy to ignore or minimize inattentive ADHD, so parents and teachers need to make an effort to be in tune with the child’s experiences and needs. I’m sure you’re doing all that already!

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:32 pm
I am using my pediatrician. I feel like we are getting more attention and time than we would from a psychologist and she is very reachable when we need help with side effects, refills, etc.
my daughter doesn’t have any complex issues, so far we are on our third medicine. If we don’t find one that works with tolerable side effects soon we would probably switch to a psychologist.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:41 pm
I did while I was on the waiting list for a psychiatrist. Can’t hurt to try.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:49 pm
After we got a diagnosis from psych eval, we've only used our pediatrician. She has 3 boys, so she's knowledgeable Wink
At one point the school recommended some things, including reassessing his meds, so we saw a nurse practitioner who works at a neuro-psych clinic. She was great, but she didn't take insurance, so we only saw her for the initial and 1 follow up. Then went back to pediatrician.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:23 pm
I think it's so dependent on the specifics of your dd's matzav. Every kid is different. I definetly can't hurt to speak with your pediatrician and see what (s)he thinks.

In addition, I know in my state, because there is a real lack of child psychiatrists, there is a special services for pediatricians to help with psychiatric care. Meaning, there are special hotlines and opportunities for general pediatricians to consult with psychiatrists on medications and treatment. It could be that your pediatrician has access to something like this as well.

hatzlacha!

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:32 pm
Yes. I have 3 sons who get medication from my pediatrician. Some peds are not comfortable prescribing these meds. One doctor in the practice encouraged me to continue with psychiatrist as he isn't familiar enough with this type of treatment. B'h another Dr. in the office was very happy to work with us. He monitors and sends in the scripts. I am lucky that my boys responded well to the 1st drug we tried. They are all on Focalin in different doses.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics