Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Chava- she sinned, why name after her??
Previous  1  2

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:14 pm
Why don't people name Adam (very few do this) and much more name Chava?

greenteaorange

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:35 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

Less biblical girl names are available

octopus

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:56 pm
There are so many more boys names than girls!

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 8:06 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Can you find someone in tanach that never sinned?

Can you find ANY human being who never sinned?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 8:08 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
No one names their kid Adam (the Hebrew version, obviously tons use the English name.)

I know more than one Adam, both in English and Hebrew name

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 9:28 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

Chava has a much nicer meaning. We strive to ascend and not stay stuck to the ground. I heard a shiur that there are two possible pitfalls to working the ground - self-worship and enslaving others. The mitzvos we have re farming and bein odom lachaveiro help us avoid that. So maybe such an earthy name isn't something we would think of using unless someone did it first and want to name after.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 12:43 am
My husband was makpid not to name chava or chaya.
I also wondered this re chava name.

I dont know tanach so well (hi bt TMI ) but most of the peopel you named did tremendous things- moshe was a leader, rachel is known for her teffilah, but what is chava known for? I just remember learning the negative she did of enticing adam

imaima

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 12:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Chava- she sinned and we have labor pains because of her. Why name your child this?

To emphasize the fact that mothers make many mistakes but we still value them for giving life.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 1:39 am
There have been similar threads on here before, like, why do we name after xyz, after all he or she sinned.
Almost everyone sins and the Torah doesn't whitewash or hide this.
So, where does that question at all come from? Sometimes I wonder if it is a result of all these more recent biographies of famous rabbis, rebbes, roshei yeshiva and rebbetzins that are portrayed as if they were flawless superhumans with no sins, errors or mistakes. Which isn't realistic. Or, anyone here remember the doctored BY photos from the 40ies, where they photoshopped the sleeves longer? Part of the same phenomenon, I think. It creates an unrealistic view of the past.

miami85

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 1:40 am
Because she was the "aim kol chai" and we strive to back to "gan eden m'kedem"--meaning that they were as close to perfect as humanly possible, we've only had "yeridas hadoros".

Thinking about her greatness, the daughters/daughters-in-law of Noach were ALSO the mothers of all humanity, and yet we don't know their names.

There were 4 people who in the history of the Torah/world never sinned--and we use a LOT more names than 4.

Giraffe

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 7:54 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
but most of the peopel you named did tremendous things- moshe was a leader, rachel is known for her teffilah, but what is chava known for? I just remember learning the negative she did of enticing adam

"he Midrash Talpiot explains that Adam could speak all the languages that would ever come into existence. Nevertheless, one day he saw that the animals were crying, and he couldn't figure out what they were saying. Chava said to him, "They are crying because they are hungry." Adam immediately recognized that she was right and gave her the name "Chaya" because she was a nurturer."

https://www.aish.com/atr/Eves_Name.html

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 8:10 am
penguin wrote:

Anyhow the 4th is Kilav son of Dovid haMelech. I don't think we know much about him though.

That's exactly the point. We know almost nothing about Binyamin, Amram, Yishai and Kilav because they didn't do things that were worth recording in Tanach. People who take action are bound to make mistakes sometimes.

It might be possible to be a tzaddik in a closed room, but you miss out on a lot and probably don't do very much for others.

Yes, Chava sinned. But she lived a full life. That came at a cost.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 8:27 am
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
There have been similar threads on here before, like, why do we name after xyz, after all he or she sinned.
Almost everyone sins and the Torah doesn't whitewash or hide this.
So, where does that question at all come from? Sometimes I wonder if it is a result of all these more recent biographies of famous rabbis, rebbes, roshei yeshiva and rebbetzins that are portrayed as if they were flawless superhumans with no sins, errors or mistakes. Which isn't realistic. Or, anyone here remember the doctored BY photos from the 40ies, where they photoshopped the sleeves longer? Part of the same phenomenon, I think. It creates an unrealistic view of the past.

Again the sins are generally miscalculations. The kind of thing we all fall prey to. Actual rishus? No teshuva recorded anywhere*? I don't think we use those names.

*I assume Menashe is for Yosef's son, not Chizkiyahu's. If the latter, that's where my teshuva suggestion comes in.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:25 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
That's exactly the point. We know almost nothing about Binyamin, Amram, Yishai and Kilav because they didn't do things that were worth recording in Tanach. People who take action are bound to make mistakes sometimes.

It might be possible to be a tzaddik in a closed room, but you miss out on a lot and probably don't do very much for others.

Yes, Chava sinned. But she lived a full life. That came at a cost.

I really wish you'd use your screen name. This post is BRILLIANT! I absolutely love it. I wish I knew who you were. Very Happy

I love the Torah, because the people in it are so relatable. We can all see aspects of ourselves, with all our sins, guilt, and teshuva. I can't think of any other religion that has role models like this.

Mo-hammed, Bu-ddha, Je-sus, etc. were all so "perfect", how could anyone relate? I prefer a more human approach. Hashem understands us, and doesn't set the bar so high that we are destined to fail.

(False prophets spelled oddly on purpose.)

Zeleze

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 5:11 am
Yishmoel was a Roshe, so why is Reb Yishmoel from the Gemore called the same

We don't know Cheshbonos Shomayim and who did Tshuva and whatever

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 5:25 am
Zeleze wrote:
Yishmoel was a Roshe, so why is Reb Yishmoel from the Gemore called the same

We don't know Cheshbonos Shomayim and who did Tshuva and whatever

Yishmael is known to have made teshuva.

sequoia

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 6:50 am
Some natural tears they dropped, but wiped them soon; The world was all before them, where to choose their place of rest, and Providence their guide: They hand in hand with wand'ring steps and slow, through Eden took their solitary way.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 8:21 am
sequoia wrote:
Some natural tears they dropped, but wiped them soon; The world was all before them, where to choose their place of rest, and Providence their guide: They hand in hand with wand'ring steps and slow, through Eden took their solitary way.

Should I do the Cliff Notes, or let other people also put this in Google, then read the commentary on it? I'll say this, after a cursory look at sources, the idea is that people make mistakes but don't throw in the towel. There are still possibilities.

As I said there are people for whom there are no possibilities. Frum people will not use the name Nimrod (I do know of someone named Nimrod, before it became an epithet) and is there anyone who uses the name Esav?

Though there was a big case years ago about possible police brutality: the victim was a man named Malice Green. Which native English speaker would name a child Malice?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names