Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Pros and cons of getting my 9 month old’s ears pierced
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 6:21 am
Should I do it now or wait until she’s 3 ?

She doesn’t mind headband so I don’t think she’d pull them out.

Has anyone heard of earrings falling out and babies trying to eat them?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 6:46 am
Most people here would tell you to wait and that babies look weird with earrings, blah blah blah.
I disagree with them. My daughter had her ears pierced at her pediatrician’s office when she turned 4 months old. The doctor told me to wait until then.
I would be concerned that a 9 month old will pull at her ears in the beginning when she discovers something new there, because she’s old enough to realize.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 6:49 am
Where I am from almost everyone pierces their baby's ears after birth so I have a bias.

But I'm wondering, why would you choose the age 3? It's not like a 3 year old can care for their earrings or has real wants?

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 7:21 am
I will wait until my baby girl asks me for them.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 7:27 am
9 Months old is a bit old for baby ear piercing. It will likely be harder than doing it for a tiny baby.
With my oldest I tried to get her ears pierced at around a year and she cried so much I didn't do the other ear.
I waited until my daughters expressed interest. Basically around 2.5- 3 when they start loving dress up. Around the time I introduce them to the dentist. They sat there like determined warriors and were so proud of their earrings. It was really cute.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 7:34 am
The earlier the better. 9 months old is great.
I waited till my daughter "appreciated" it which was 4.5 and she threw such a tantrum after the first ear was pierced that we almost walked out with only one earring.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 7:47 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:

That’s what we did. She’s 6 and hasn’t seemed to care that much.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:47 am
I think 9 months is the oldest some pediatricians would recommend- ask yours.
I did my first DD at 3 and it was a disaster. She was traumatized and cried for years when I tried to change her earrings. She also got a huge infection (where we later realized she can only wear sterling silver, no 14k gold) and her fear made it very hard to deal with.
Next DD I did at 4 months and bh it was perfect

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:49 am
I got my daughter's ears pierced at 2.5 months. Basically 2 weeks after her first round of shots.

She cried for a second and then was fine. She never touched them and they never fell out. She looks adorable with earrings.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:52 am
My girls all got pierced ears at 2-3 weeks. Never had an issue with any infection or earring pulling.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:52 am
Why would you modify your daughter's body at an age when she has no say in the matter? I understand that we have to give a baby boy a bris mila but there is no halacha to pierce a baby girl's ears.

I got my ears pierced when I was 10. I wanted it and was old enough to take care of them myself at that point. I do not pierce my daughter's ears as babies. My teenager is very happy I didn't because she has no interest in wearing earrings or any jewelry other than a watch. My 6 year old has been asking for pierced ears and we will do it in a few years when she's old enough to be responsible for the aftercare herself.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
Why would you modify your daughter's body at an age when she has no say in the matter? I understand that we have to give a baby boy a bris mila but there is no halacha to pierce a baby girl's ears.

I got my ears pierced when I was 10. I wanted it and was old enough to take care of them myself at that point. I do not pierce my daughter's ears as babies. My teenager is very happy I didn't because she has no interest in wearing earrings or any jewelry other than a watch. My 6 year old has been asking for pierced ears and we will do it in a few years when she's old enough to be responsible for the aftercare herself.

Did you ask permission what to name them? Where to send them? How to dress them? To cut their hair? No kid is upset for getting earrings before they can feel that little pinch

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:58 am
I got my daughter's ears pierced when she was 2 weeks old. It was with a single use needle, and she barely cried. At 6mo, she never messes with them. From my research, it was recommended to do before 6 months or after 2 years. After 6 months, they can localize pain.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:00 am
I never heard of a girl or women not wearing earrings bec she didnt want. Do it now while shes still little

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:00 am
The earlier the better. For my first, I waited until she was toilet trained and she got earrings as a gift.
She was traumatized and it was the dubmest idea ever.

Zehava

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:13 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:

I thought this too but then I asked a popular parenting expert for what she does and she said she does it when her kids are newborns. And generally she’s very into giving kids choices. But she said she knows her kids will want it and it’s so much more painful when they’re older. Which is true.

Last edited by Zehava on Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I never heard of a girl or women not wearing earrings bec she didnt want. Do it now while shes still little

Really? My mother-in-law doesn't have pierced ears and neither does my teenaged daughter. Both of them are very happy not to wear earrings.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
Why would you modify your daughter's body at an age when she has no say in the matter?

I view it as something universal that she will definitely want. No need to make her grapple with the decision/fear/anxiety about it.

My 3 girls all got their ears pierced as newborns, and none of them have come to me with any complaint for modifying their bodies. They are glad it's something they didn't have to deal with.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:23 am
I did it and regretted it. It’s so uncomfortable for baby to sleep in and you don’t know if it bothers them. When they are older they can communicate.
Many times the ear is red even with all the proper cleaning and the baby doesn’t need a unnecessary headache. Wait until the child is older and can talk.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:51 am
Chayalle wrote:
I view it as something universal that she will definitely want. No need to make her grapple with the decision/fear/anxiety about it.

My 3 girls all got their ears pierced as newborns, and none of them have come to me with any complaint for modifying their bodies. They are glad it's something they didn't have to deal with.

You don’t anyone (adult, child) who doesn’t have pierced ears? Not 1 person?

To me It’s far from universal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics