Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
If you write articles or recipes for magazines

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:18 am
How did you “get in”?

I have sent in a few writings here and there but was never even responded too.

Any tips for making a name for myself?

If you are a a recipe developer, how did you get noticed?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:34 am
That's strange that they didn't respond.
I have submitted 30 or so articles over the years, through the regular submission channel. Mishpacha, Ami and Binah .

All the magazines have a standard response saying that the article is under review and to give them x amount of time for an answer. Ami usually answers very quickly. I've gotten a positive response as soon as 2 hours after submitting to them.

Mishpacha takes a few weeks. Binah even longer. But you can email back after a few weeks to ask for the status.

But I don't have an "in". I never wanted to be a regular writer, just freelance, so this works for me.

My daughter has an "in" with a few of the magazines. She pitched them an idea and now she deals directly with one of the editors.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 2:01 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
That's strange that they didn't respond.
I have submitted 30 or so articles over the years, through the regular submission channel. Mishpacha, Ami and Binah .

All the magazines have a standard response saying that the article is under review and to give them x amount of time for an answer. Ami usually answers very quickly. I've gotten a positive response as soon as 2 hours after submitting to them.

Mishpacha takes a few weeks. Binah even longer. But you can email back after a few weeks to ask for the status.

But I don't have an "in". I never wanted to be a regular writer, just freelance, so this works for me.

My daughter has an "in" with a few of the magazines. She pitched them an idea and now she deals directly with one of the editors.

Ami has not responded in the past. I got I can try again. What sort of articles do they accept? I know they don’t generally do regular fiction.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ami has not responded in the past. I got I can try again. What sort of articles do they accept? I know they don’t generally do regular fiction.

I have only submitted true stories.
But it was a few years ago. I haven't submitted anything since so it could be things changed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 2:49 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I have only submitted true stories.
But it was a few years ago. I haven't submitted anything since so it could be things changed.

But it seems like they are only interested in medical stories or stories for Our Days.

What I’d love is to write fiction stories weekly. One day…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:38 am
Bumping this up.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:43 am
I found starting with low-key magazines easier to get in... think about your local circulars etc. Once you establish yourself as a writer for these places and develop a like for a certain genre you are much more likely to get noticed, since you can consider yourself a feature (etc.) writer... and you're name might be familiar.
You may want to try getting onto writing forums where requests for articles are sometimes posted, and they can help you get an in.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But it seems like they are only interested in medical stories or stories for Our Days.

What I’d love is to write fiction stories weekly. One day…

Binah magazine takes a lot of fiction, Mishpacha magazine prints fiction but its harder to get pieces accepted there. Try submitting to Binah!

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:42 pm
Get to know your audience and then send a pitch to the magazine that makes it clear that you understand their needs and are a good fit. Try to connect with the person reading your email so your writing doesn't just look like another page on somebody's pile.

With recipes you really need some unique selling point because each publication only needs a couple of them and there are already all these big names out there. Focus on what makes you unique and talk that up. As someone else said, look for opportunities in smaller publications and online to start getting your name out.

chick567

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:56 am
I’m just curious, do you write to make money or for the thrill of getting published?
Sorry if it takes the thread off track. I’ve always wondered if getting paid to write is a motivation or a side benefit. I assume these magazines pay for content?

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:04 am
chick567 wrote:
I’m just curious, do you write to make money or for the thrill of getting published?
Sorry if it takes the thread off track. I’ve always wondered if getting paid to write is a motivation or a side benefit. I assume these magazines pay for content?

They only pay if they hire you and you have a deadline to meet otherwise you dont get paid

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:13 am
It's nice to get the money but it isn't an income for most people. If you have some niche that is very much in-demand then you can command a higher rate and if you're efficient and work with multiple publications then maybe you can do well. But most magazine writers have other jobs.

Magazine writing can help get your feet wet and some name recognition as a springboard for other jobs, though. For example, the therapists who write columns for the big magazines I'm sure have a nice waiting list of high-paying therapy clients who want to work with them because their writing gives them an expert vibe. Recipe columnists may open themselves to well-paying cooking demos or a personal chef or catering type of job (as well as cookbooks but I doubt those are all that lucrative either - again, though, name recognition.)

People who want to write as a career need to look into more stable positions such as grant writing, technical writing, copy/marketing writing, etc.

That's my impression, anyway. Maybe one of the more prolific writers can offer a more optimistic perspective. I'm assuming the popular serial story writers make more because they're putting out several pages consistently every week plus they're in demand so they can ask more. But it took them a long time to get there, during which they had at least one other income, likely their husband's if they were spending their time writing stories all those years.

kenz

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:40 am
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
They only pay if they hire you and you have a deadline to meet otherwise you dont get paid

No, if a magazine accepts a fiction story they will pay for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club