Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Sending a younger teenager abroad
Previous  1  2

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not even considering a yeshiva for gifted boys. That would be great. I am considering a regular yeshiva with bagrut in Israel. Because it is already better than what we have here.
My ds does all sorts of extra-curriculars here too but the core school education is bad. These extra-curriculars will have to go too, I guess, if he moves abroad.

There are dorm options in the us with excellent academics and extracurriculars. With you saying your ds has to give up stuff and he "doesn't mind" going to ey, I don't think it sounds like a good idea.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:49 am
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
There are dorm options in the us with excellent academics and extracurriculars. With you saying your ds has to give up stuff and he "doesn't mind" going to ey, I don't think it sounds like a good idea.

I am not in the US.

He doesn't mind is his typical reply when he doesn't initiate himself. Unfortunately he has never known a better school to realize that what he attends is not great. But you do give me an idea that maybe I should wait till he really comes up with this urge himself.

The schools in our area were fine but they are unfortunately deteriorating quickly.
We were planning to send him at 16 but we were told that for a yeshiva with bagrut it is better to go at 14.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:54 am
dena613 wrote:
Why do you want to send him to EY? He's not much more than a bar mitzva baby!
If you live OOT in a country with more options, that should be your FIRST choice!
EY, with no relatives nearby, should be your LAST choice!

I don't want to send him.
I am really torn.
I was told that the type of yeshivot that we are considering accept kids at 14.

I do see from the responses that my feeling and logic is right, he is too young. I find 16 good enough. But OTOH he will be losing these 2 years of proper learning both in kodesh and chol.

I have known many people who have done Naaleh, both back when I was a teenager and recently. The majority of experiences were negative, especially for our level of orthodox.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not in the US.

He doesn't mind is his typical reply when he doesn't initiate himself. Unfortunately he has never known a better school to realize that what he attends is not great. But you do give me an idea that maybe I should wait till he really comes up with this urge himself.

The schools in our area were fine but they are unfortunately deteriorating quickly.
We were planning to send him at 16 but we were told that for a yeshiva with bagrut it is better to go at 14.

Ohhh, sorry for being so american-centric.

Where are his friends going?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:12 am
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
Ohhh, sorry for being so american-centric.

Where are his friends going?

No problem.
We will be meeting some other parents to negotiate.

My dh won't send to a public school and I also think it won't look good applying to a yeshiva out of a public school vs a Jewish school.

Not all friends are on the same level academically so they either don't need/want bagrut or don't need kodesh on the same level. Noone has sent anyone away yet.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions