Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Lost smell

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 3:52 pm
For people who lost their smell/taste, how long did it take to come back?

Did you lose weight?

(I’m not so bothered by it, just hoping it will help me lose some weight bc I have less interest in food.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 6:56 pm
I was just chopping onions and didn’t smell a thing. And my eyes tingled a little but no tearing.

So strange.

The funny thing is that I worked so hard to overcome food addictions and now it’s just gone! And I don’t even miss it!

Is this the answer ? If they had a pill that could do this—just knock out smell and taste—would you take it ?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:01 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ImhTahQTgfM

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:03 pm
LOL! I’m happy this way! I don’t want my food cravings back!

(Maybe if it doesn’t come back in 4 weeks I’ll try it. But for now I’m on a smell vacation and I LOVE it.)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:23 pm
I got it back after a few days. But I had fever and serious symptoms. I lost a lot of weight in one week, gained it all back.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 8:22 pm
I was so discusted by food that I couldnt eat for 2 weeks and it took a good week formy apetite to come back.I experienced what it might feel like to be anorexic, having to force myself to eat a spoonful of food. Anyways at the end I only lost 2 pounds.
The smell came back after 3 weeks but much weaker. I still cant smell all smells

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:40 am
I lost five pounds.

I had no appetite but I forced myself to eat because of my nursing baby. I felt like in a horrible first trimester, nauseous and unable to eat but logically knowing I need to force myself.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 3:43 pm
I burned the food today! Couldn’t smell anything and didn’t realize until I saw smoke.

That’s the scary part of not smelling. On the plus side I couldn’t smell the burnt taste so I ate it anyway.

Did anyone else have this complete loss of taste and smell? I’m on day 6 now.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 3:45 pm
I’m not disgusted or nauseous. Food doesn’t taste bad or weird… there’s just a total absence.
The weirdest is there’s no aftertaste in my mouth. Once I swallow the food it’s gone, like I never ate it.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:44 pm
I'm happy you're finding the positive, but it's no joke. I was petrified I wouldn't smell smoke/gas etc. Also, dirty daipers went unnoticed for too long. I never fully got my smell back more than 18 months later and I really feel like my quality of life is down.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 7:03 pm
I lost my sense of smell and taste completely, it took around 1 month till I got it back in very small doses and it very slowly came back more and more. Now I am 7 months post-covid and I would say that they are back around 85-90%. Yes I keep burning food all the time b/c I don't smell until it's too late (a timer is a lifesaver!) and I don't smell dirty diapers which can cause the baby to develop a rash if they're sitting in it too long. I also hated that nothing tasted as good as I remembered it.

The upside to this - I lost close to 10 pounds during the beginning when my taste was gone completely, and since I remember eating food when they tasted like carboard I haven't gotten my full appetite back yet and am still keeping my weight down! I'm probably the skinniest I've been now in many years.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:57 pm
It’s day 6 and I’m getting a bit of smell back. I can smell spices now, but faintly.
I don’t have babies in diapers but I do have kids who wet the bed so the bedrooms always reek. I don’t smell that anymore.
But if I can sort of smell on day 6 it will probably come back completely very soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics