Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Pros and cons of getting my 9 month old’s ears pierced
Previous  1  2

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 8:15 am
I am considering piercing my daughter's ears too. I really am of two minds about it. On one hand, I feel strongly that she should make decisions about her own body, when it's something permanent like earring holes. On the other hand, she will almost certainly want earrings, so I might as well do it when she doesn't have to worry about the pain. (I live in Boro Park, so yeah, she will almost definitely want them because virtually every other girl has them.)

What is involved? What's the aftercare like? Where would I even go to have it done?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 8:24 am
I got my daughter's pierced at 11 months
She never touched them. It was perfect.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 8:30 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
My 6 year old has been asking for pierced ears and we will do it in a few years when she's old enough to be responsible for the aftercare herself.

If she is asking, why not now? Its not like you need to first become a rocket scientist to be able to manage the so called 'aftercare'. And if you need to help her purchase or rub in some cream it won't be the end of the world.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 8:34 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
You don’t anyone (adult, child) who doesn’t have pierced ears? Not 1 person?

To me It’s far from universal.

Yes actually. I have one friend, in her 40's, who never got over her fear of getting her ears pierced. I spared my girls that.

Other than that, the only people I know without pierced ears is someone who has a family minhag not to (and some of their daughters pierced their ears after marriage, as their DH's did not have that minhag.)

salt

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 1:41 am
I don't remember getting ears pierced being so painful.
I had my ears pierced when I was 16 because I wanted to.
My DDs got them pierced at ages 13, 12 and 10. None of them complained of terrible pain.
It hurts for about half a second if I remember rightly.
Why is the choice 9 months or 3?
Why not wait till they ask? When they want it, the miniscule pain won't bother them.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 1:56 am
The pro of doing it as a baby is that she doesn't have to bother with care. It'll be done already.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 3:22 am
Chayalle wrote:
I view it as something universal that she will definitely want. No need to make her grapple with the decision/fear/anxiety about it.

My 3 girls all got their ears pierced as newborns, and none of them have come to me with any complaint for modifying their bodies. They are glad it's something they didn't have to deal with.

I sort of disagree with this. Where I am I don't know a single woman without pierced ears but I personally don't like mine. I almost never put in earrings and I wish mine were not pierced. I still pierced my daughters ears as infants because that's what people do.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 3:29 am
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
I am considering piercing my daughter's ears too. I really am of two minds about it. On one hand, I feel strongly that she should make decisions about her own body, when it's something permanent like earring holes. On the other hand, she will almost certainly want earrings, so I might as well do it when she doesn't have to worry about the pain. (I live in Boro Park, so yeah, she will almost definitely want them because virtually every other girl has them.)

What is involved? What's the aftercare like? Where would I even go to have it done?

It's like a shot. They just pierce the earring in. And then you need to turn it every day and apply neosporin. That's it.

bsy

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 3:59 am
I don't believe in piercing babies ears. I waited until my daughter wanted them when she was almost 4. I also know many people who pierced babies ears and had problems. Like the baby pulling the earring and ripping the ear lobe....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics