Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do people pay tuition for special ed schools or at all
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:03 pm
dd wasnt fitting in to any regular mainstream schools, I put her in a local specialized special ed school which is SO expensive. we were JUST making it with our other kids tuition but we're dipping into our savings to pay this special school. There are no discounts, its take it or leave it. dd loves it and is gaining. Not sure what to do about paying tuition though and I'm getting so worried... This is completely unsustainable. I dont see an end in sight, we're going to spiral into debt really fast and then what? And we have other kids too! We'll all suffer just because we want this one hard to place kid to get the best chance in life she can get! Is there some trick to paying tuition? Any solutions I may not have thought of???

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:05 pm
It’s possible to get part of it paid by the boe you need a lawyer

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:07 pm
Go to your BOE and say you need different education. They will pay a lot

amother
Crystal

amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
It’s possible to get part of it paid by the boe you need a lawyer

That’s assuming op lives in NY, or in another us state that does this (I’m not familiar).

amother
Powderblue

What state are you in?
I dont know the logistics but somehow in NY ppl use some of their self direction money and all that type of stuff (really dont know the details and hope it's legal) to pay for the school and the services provided in school like ABA etc. Don't quote me on this but this is what I have seen in some places.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:18 pm
in NY and I believe I know someone who did it in NJ they get the BOE to pay for it. I know someone who moved out of my OOT community to NY in order to be able to have her kid be in the type of school he needed.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:38 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
That’s assuming op lives in NY, or in another us state that does this (I’m not familiar).

You can sue in any state but certain states are way more likely to pay out than others. Also ask the school. Usually these schools work closely with law firms.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:04 pm
I don't think it's a New York thing - ALL states are federally mandated to provide a free, appropriate public education for every child with every type of need. However, depending where you live, you might have a hard time making a case that this is the only school that can meet your child's needs. What you need is a good education lawyer. You don't have to pay much if anything for an initial consultation to see if they think you have a case. If they do think you have a case, then the settlement you get from the BOE should cover the cost, or if it doesn't then it will be worthwhile in what you save on tuition.

As previous amother wrote, also ask the school how other parents are paying - they should know about various channels and programs that are available. Nobody can actually afford to pay special ed schools out of pocket on their own. Almost nobody, anyway.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:14 pm
op I wonder the same thing....I am considering switching my child to a special ed school. I heard the lawyer will help me fight DOE to get some $, but I still may have to pay a lot even after the court case, so I really dont know what will happen in terms of how to pay, and Im just starting the application process because the tuition I am paying for my child at a regular school is a waste as my child is not really learning....Im really afraid to make the leap to an even higher tuition bill, but I know I am supposed to have bitachon that Hashem gave me this special child and He will help me pay, and I may have to use our savings too...

its a big challenge...hashem should help all of us

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:26 pm
Contact tafkid for advice

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
dd wasnt fitting in to any regular mainstream schools, I put her in a local specialized special ed school which is SO expensive. we were JUST making it with our other kids tuition but we're dipping into our savings to pay this special school. There are no discounts, its take it or leave it. dd loves it and is gaining. Not sure what to do about paying tuition though and I'm getting so worried... This is completely unsustainable. I dont see an end in sight, we're going to spiral into debt really fast and then what? And we have other kids too! We'll all suffer just because we want this one hard to place kid to get the best chance in life she can get! Is there some trick to paying tuition? Any solutions I may not have thought of???

Ask the administration of the school if other parents have sued the school district and won tuition. Ask other parents how they're affording it.

I really know how you feel. There's a school that the district won't pay for that's $100,000 a year, and there's just no way on earth I could ever afford that. It's sad, but there you go.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:53 pm
Generally, parents hire an attorney and sue the DOE for tuition reimbursement, although you will still need to absorb some of the cost (attorney- and officially the state will not cover the Judaic studies part of the day.)

The school should be able to guide you and may able to refer you to specific attorneys that are qualified in the field .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 6:45 am
op here
Thank you for all the practical advice. I'll ask the school first. I'm also willing to work there for a few hours a day if that will help.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 6:53 am
I hate to say this.

Truly desperate parents will send to a public school if a frum school will not be able to accommodate.

It's very sad that our special kids don't have a place that understands them - unless you take a second mortgage on your house. Combine that with any medical needs that are not covered by your health insurance, and it's a recipe for bankruptcy.

Wishing you much mazel and hatzlocha on your journey to find the best situation for everyone.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 7:29 am
My daughter is in cahal in NYC. My son is getting a seit in a regular classroom. In both instances we have lawyers suing for reimbursement. Because no one can afford the fees. The lawyers cost 250 but they know what to do. I pay 8k for tuition for my daughter. I don't know what other parents pay.

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 7:30 am
I have a child in a special Ed school, literally nobody pays the full price, you sue the BoE and they pay most of it. You still have to pay some, and it does come out to be a little more than a typical yeshiva tuition, but it's not crazy. Also, for my other kids, I get a tuition break. No, we are not low income, we wouldn't qualify for the break normally, but bh the tuition committee does take into account that we have a child who is more expensive to raise and give us a small break.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 9:23 am
My son's tuition is over $35,000. (And I know there are SN schools that are even higher). We do not live in NY. In our state we can get what the public schools calculate they would spend to educate him, which is roughly $9,000 (and a joke). So that brings our tuition down to $26,000. Still close to double what we pay for our other children. It's hard. It means less extras in our life but B"H that we can afford to pay it. I really don't know what would happen if we couldn't.

cnc

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 9:48 am
gootlfriends wrote:
My daughter is in cahal in NYC. My son is getting a seit in a regular classroom. In both instances we have lawyers suing for reimbursement. Because no one can afford the fees. The lawyers cost 250 but they know what to do. I pay 8k for tuition for my daughter. I don't know what other parents pay.

$250??

Most people I know pay between 5000-6000

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 9:49 am
Many send to public school with special needs.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 10:05 am
Many people move to states that cover all or part of the cost, such as Ohio with the Peterson/ Autism scholarship or NY. Few people can afford $40,000 a year.
Sadly, their are also many frum kids in public schools who have so much more funding and many times can help them advance more .
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children