Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shabbos Permissible Dishwashing pads, pieces come off?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:47 am
I dont understand how Shabbos Permissible Dishwashing pads are muttar on Shabbos, if pieces come off as you use them?

They may avoid the problem of prevention of squeezing out the water during use, but obviously theyre made of a fiber thats too weak to not tear, which has to be another Halachic issue, on Shabbos.

I have an Israeli brand that they sell in Bingo and KRM (that rips and I see little red pieces from it in the sink).

Is there a better brand that doesnt rip?

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:49 am
They sell more expensive silicon ones if you like that better.
I'm using the plastic steelwools for years and I never had this issue.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:51 am
I'm going to tell you the secret that my rebbetzin told me.

Use old plastic grocery bags wadded up into a ball. They really hold the soap well, you can squeeze them and scrub with them, and they do a great job getting grease off. Then just throw them away!

If your city has a grocery bag ban, then I can't help you with that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:08 pm
Thanks all, but Im looking for a Dobie-like pad that has some form of Hechsher for Shabbos, BUT doesnt have pieces coming off into the dishwater.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:50 pm
https://judaicaplaza.com/produ.....D_BwE

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:57 pm
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:
https://judaicaplaza.com/products/mii-ks?variant=32424781480033&gclid=CjwKCAjw_L6LBhBbEiwA4c46uqNOA9i9k3OrTayD1R9RZq-DRqZ7e3CoqIkib25nd7TPc53e_Pp89hoCsF0QAvD_BwE

Thanks, Ive tried that, and I find them clumsy to hold.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 8:57 pm
If these are also made in Israel, and look identical to the ones I bought in KRM and Bingo, is there a chance that these are a different brand (perhaps not and just packaged differently), and I wont see tiny little pieces tear off?

https://www.amazon.com/Shabbos.....T18NW

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:43 pm
I can see how pieces coming off is a pain, but I don't think it's a halachic issue. Just annoying.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:48 pm
Dawn Poly Mesh Scrubbers, Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A.....356B1
How about something like this?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:49 pm
seeker wrote:
I can see how pieces coming off is a pain, but I don't think it's a halachic issue. Just annoying.

I cant believe that many little pieces coming off the pad, with minimal pressure, isnt a problem.

It means these pads are made of week fibers that easily tear.

Imho, if I cant tear a tissue, I shouldnt be using a pad on Shabbos, that tears so easily. Its not a once in a million occurrence. The sink has lots of tiny pieces of pad, every Shabbos.

I will ask iyH.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:55 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Dawn Poly Mesh Scrubbers, Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A.....356B1
How about something like this?

Thanks, but those have been available for many years.

The imitation "Dobie pads" are so much more user-friendly.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I cant believe that many little pieces coming off the pad, with minimal pressure, isnt a problem.

It means these pads are made of week fibers that easily tear.

Imho, if I cant tear a tissue, I shouldnt be using a pad on Shabbos, that tears so easily. Its not a once in a million occurrence. The sink has lots of tiny pieces of pad, every Shabbos.

I will ask iyH.

It's not a quantity issue. The difference is that when you tear a tissue, it's because you need a smaller piece of tissue. If you are using a tissue and it tears because it's flimsy, that's a non-issue.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:02 pm
Though now I'm curious what these things are made out of. If they are imitation Dobie pads, what is the difference between them and the actual Dobie pads?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:04 pm
seeker wrote:
Though now I'm curious what these things are made out of. If they are imitation Dobie pads, what is the difference between them and the actual Dobie pads?

I assume something firm inside the Shabbos pads that doesnt allow water absorption.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:06 pm
seeker wrote:
It's not a quantity issue. The difference is that when you tear a tissue, it's because you need a smaller piece of tissue. If you are using a tissue and it tears because it's flimsy, that's a non-issue.

Dont some people avoid walking on grass (if they can help it) bec they may unintentionally tear grass?

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 9:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dont some people avoid walking on grass (if they can help it) bec they may unintentionally tear grass?

They may, but it's a chumra.

jflower

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 11:15 am
https://www.amazon.com/IKEA-AN.....psc=1
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen