Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
20 month old super constipated 😟
1  2  Next

top mom

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 2:40 am
DD is miserable.
Scared to make, since it's painful for her.
My pediatrician suggested giving her lots more water, whole grains, and certain fruits and veggies
And no more white bread, pasta and potatoes.
Which makes sense obviously.
The problem is that she refuses all of them!
She doesn't drink nearly enough, which is what caused the constipation in the first place!
The doctor prescribed something called normalax, I think, but warned me not to give it unless she drinks a lot, so we're back to square one!
She's in a lot of pain and very uncomfortable, and I'm also quite frustrated at this point.
Suggestions and pity parties welcome!
Thanks

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 2:52 am
Pro biotics helped my baby of the same age a lot.

top mom

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 3:02 am
Thanks, in what form?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 3:05 am
Give pear? My kids love it and it seems to work.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 3:06 am
We mixed prOne juice into oatmeal daily

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 3:09 am
Before she can get regular, you have to get her over the first hurdle.

Does she take a bottle or a sippy cup? Give her whatever juice she likes, and add a few tablespoons of prune juice. If that doesn't work, give her the Normalax in juice. Anything to get it down her.

Melons have tons of water and fiber. Watermelon is the best, but cantaloupe or honeydew will also work. Keep dairy to a minimum. If she likes fruit ices, let her have them.

I know, it's a lot of sugar, but you absolutely must get her hydrated.

If she still can't go, then try a suppository or even a Fleet's Enema.

Once she's been able to go, give her a tablespoon of prune juice every day, more or less depending on how her bowels react.

Make sure that when she is on the toilet, you are sitting with her the whole time, reading books to her. The distraction will help her relax.

If none of this works, then she needs to see an gastroenterologist before things get out of hand.

Good for you for getting on top of this right away! Many parents just assume it's a phase, and then their child can end up stuck in a cycle of constipation, diarrhea, and accidental soiling.

top mom

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 3:17 am
Thanks everyone
I bought pears, which she didn't like, same for plums.
Doctor said no juice, but my instinct tells me it's better than nothing, no?
It's definitely a cycle at this point, because she holds it in, because she knows it's painful, which makes it worse....

cuties' mom

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 3:36 am
Does she like veggie burgers? Do you keep chalav yisrael? Our 2 weapons when ds gets constipated are veggie burgers (either Dr. Praegers or Trader Joes brand) and belvita biscuits. Both are high in fiber and do the job.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 4:37 am
Prune juice is the magic charm.
You can make your own by pouring boiling water over a cup of pitted prunes and letting stand a few days--it gets more concentrated with time--or boiling the prunes in water for ten minutes. The longer it stands the stronger it gets, and it keeps in the fridge for quite some time. I like to keep a jar around to have in case anyone, child or adult, needs it or wants it. You can eat the compote for dessert and give baby just the juice, or you can give her a prune with a little juice. Give her just half a teaspoon to a teaspoon at first and see how she tolerates it. This may be all you need.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 4:54 am
cuties' mom wrote:
Does she like veggie burgers? Do you keep chalav yisrael? Our 2 weapons when ds gets constipated are veggie burgers (either Dr. Praegers or Trader Joes brand) and belvita biscuits. Both are high in fiber and do the job.

Target sweet potato chips also work extremely well

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 5:13 am
Lots of time in a very warm bathtub also helped my kids a lot. Gross, but I encouraged them to make in there if I saw it coming.

I'd definitely try juice, but be aware that not all kids react the same to juice. You could put miralax in the juice, but it doesn't have immediate results, it's more of a longterm thing.

top mom

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 5:32 am
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
Lots of time in a very warm bathtub also helped my kids a lot. Gross, but I encouraged them to make in there if I saw it coming.

I'd definitely try juice, but be aware that not all kids react the same to juice. You could put miralax in the juice, but it doesn't have immediate results, it's more of a longterm thing.

So, the bathtub was her official bathroom at some point, it was horrible, but better than nothing!

I'll try prune juice, and thanks everyone for chiming in and trying to help the cutest, most impossible toddler!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 7:51 am
For all the people suggesting high fiber foods. It can also constipate if you don’t have enough fluid in your body. So make sure she drinks at the same time as eating high fiber foods.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:14 am
First step it to clear what's already sitting in her and waiting to come out. The longer it sits, the dryer and harder it gets. I'd give an enema or a gleet liquid suppository to get the old hard stuff out. Miralax and prune juice helps for the next batch. Even if miralax or prune juice will get her to go now, the stool that will come out first will still be hard, painful, and traumatizing.
I have lots of experience with this, unfortunately.
In my family, it's generally dairy that causes this. Although lactose intolerance generally causes diarrhea, in my family it causes constipation. Lactose free milk or lactaid pills (chewable for kids) really help like magic.

sarahph1

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:26 am
PRUNESS OR PRUNE JUICE
she will be on the toilet in no time
But don't give to much...
I'm surprised your Dr didnt say to do this

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:32 am
True Prunes or prune juice can help but any of these things don’t always necessarily help if the child is anxious and tightens up the stomach thereby preventing it from coming out. I agree that the first layer needs help and prune juice alone might not help. Maybe enema will help start loosening up from below. Then the other things suggested can help it to continue coming out and softening the stool from inside the digestive system. Hopefully after it initially comes out ask you keep the stool soft through the managements suggested she will lose the fear of holding it in. Good luck and I hope this gets sorted out.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:17 pm
My 26 month old daughter had this issue also. She was scared to poop because she was constipated and it hurt. So she would hold it in and it was a big cycle.

Her pediatrician recommended miralax. So far it's been helpful. I also bought her a fun water bottle and she is drinking so much more water than previously.

Maybe ask her doctor about giving some miralax to soften things up a bit.

amother
Lily

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:25 pm
Get pedialax. Its amazing! Dilute juice with water. Kids needs to drink.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:28 pm
I once used castor oil on the surrounding site (by mistake) and started going a lot. Not sure why.

gold21

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:31 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
First step it to clear what's already sitting in her and waiting to come out. The longer it sits, the dryer and harder it gets. I'd give an enema or a gleet liquid suppository to get the old hard stuff out. Miralax and prune juice helps for the next batch. Even if miralax or prune juice will get her to go now, the stool that will come out first will still be hard, painful, and traumatizing.
I have lots of experience with this, unfortunately.
In my family, it's generally dairy that causes this. Although lactose intolerance generally causes diarrhea, in my family it causes constipation. Lactose free milk or lactaid pills (chewable for kids) really help like magic.

Agreed
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics