Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
It really gets to me and It really bothers me

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:39 am
I always tell my kids that breakfast is most important to eat especially before they go to school, they will need energy and strength. They refuse to eat, to nervous to eat , all they focus on is getting dressed and making bus . I always have prepared breakfast and I do tell them they can eat it outside while waiting for bus , yet They always end up leaving their breakfast behind. Tell me what to do about it. I feel like such a uncaring mom to send them off like that , aside of that I really do want them to eat , and they do push it away. I feel like it's just going out of hands. I hate to have to send them off like that.

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:41 am
Dry cereal in a ziplock and a yogurt pouch

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:42 am
Their stomachs just might not be ready to eat yet. Pack something nutritious for them to eat when they get hungry.

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:43 am
Yogurt pouch and cereal in a ziplock

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:44 am
I was never a breakfast person, I don’t have an appetite in the morning. Neither do my kids. I don’t force them to eat, I just pack up something for them to eat later. If they don’t eat it, I assume they weren’t hungry.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:47 am
Cereal bar/kind bar put in their backpack.....

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:52 am
How old are your kids?

I really avoid forcing kids to eat if they don't want to. Let them decide if they are hungry (they are the only ones who truly know their hunger level). Each person should be in charge of his own stomach and food intake. We can teach good habits but trying to control their intake is no good.

Packing them something to eat on the bus or when they get to school is an option to make sure they have something if they do get hungry.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:57 am
My kids leave early. They don’t have an appetite yet at that time. Cereal bars and other fast easy foods they can take on the bus is a winner. Not that I love cereal bars but at least it’s something....

hodeez

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:58 am
Make breakfast muffins and put it in their briefcases to eat on the bus. That's what I do

tp3

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:03 am
I gave up years ago. At some point they will have to take care of themselves. If they're hungry, they'll wake up earlier and eat. If not, they'll take an extra snack to school.
I don't like it but I can't babysit my kids' stomachs.

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:07 am
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
I was never a breakfast person, I don’t have an appetite in the morning. Neither do my kids. I don’t force them to eat, I just pack up something for them to eat later. If they don’t eat it, I assume they weren’t hungry.

Same here. I can't eat so early in the morning and my kids take after me. We need time for our stomachs to wake up. I don't force anyone to eat breakfast but I make sure they have actual nutritious food to eat at school and not just nosh.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:20 am
Just to make you feel better:
I did not eat breakfast during all my years in school - even though I was quite a hearty and healthy eater otherwise. And guess what? I was B"H an excellent student, a happy and fulfilled friend, and am now a successful adult (who eats breakfast every day. Wink
I just wasn't hungry until a bit later, when I ate snack and then a great lunch.
Honestly, I felt bad for my friends whose mothers forced them to eat breakfast just to assuage their own guilt.

amother
Wallflower

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:42 am
It's not a good idea to force your kids to eat when they don't want to. But def have nutritious options for them when they do feel hungry.

Try to send healthy snacks or breakfast foods, and they can eat them on the bus, or at the first recess opportunity.

I send grapes, cubed watermelon or pineapple, sliced peppers or cucumbers, etc in a container.
Bake cookies, muffins, biscotti, or bars with whole wheat flour, oatmeal, wheat germ and/or bran.
Make smoothies with fruit and greek yogurt and send it along in a sealable bottle.
Yogurt pouches and cereal in a bag are great ideas mentioned above. If you're in NY, there's always milk around in school LOL and your kids can add milk to their cereal.

keym

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:44 am
My kids were never breakfast eaters. I would push them to eat something- a yogurt, some dry cereal.
Their stomachs just weren't up.
By now, my big boys all say that breakfast is a Big Deal in Yeshiva. They are up at 7, go on the bus, daven, have Halacha Seder, and breakfast at 10.
And they eat
My boys will each eat 4 slices of bread with 2 hardboiled eggs and an apple and a cup of milk.
Or some equivalent. Boys bring dips. There's cheese, cream cheese.
But their stomach and systems woke up, they eat well and they're good.

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:44 am
Many people can’t eat first thing in the morning. If it’s super important to you out then to sleep earlier and wake them up earlier so that they are up for a longer time period before leaving to school. Or send healthy breakfast type food that they can eat at recess most schools have one pretty early in the day.

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:30 am
I think three meals a day is overrated. I think it should just be two meals a day like in the Gemara times (granted they were a lot poorer). A midmorning meal like at 10 or 11 and then another meal at like 4.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics