Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What should I serve
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:30 am
help, I ust found out I am having guests this afternoon around 2 hours before shabbos. I finish work right around then, absolutely no time to make anything. Help me with quick ideas of what to serve.

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:34 am
Who comes to visit 2 hours before shabbos and expects food?!
Crackers, veggies and dips

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:35 am
Potato kugel, farfel, chulent, cake, drinks

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:38 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Potato kugel, farfel, chulent, cake, drinks

I don't have kugel or cholent! I'm pulling foodout of the freezer this shabbos

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:39 am
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
Who comes to visit 2 hours before shabbos and expects food?!
Crackers, veggies and dips

ya well long story don't ask. dips and crackers is good what else

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:40 am
Get takeout kugel, deli/deli roll, salads

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:42 am
GUESTS 2 hours before licht? And they didn't inform you till Friday morning? Who ARE these rude people? Put a broom in the hand of one, a tablecloth in the hand of the other, and invite them to sweep the floor and set the table for Shabbos. Afterwards, offer instant coffee or tea and some crackers if you have them. Or cereal and milk. In the kitchen. People who barge in on you when you just came home from work 2 hours before licht shouldn't expect to be fed.

Now you're going to say it's your mil and fil and I'm going to have to take it all back. Buy some cake and some clementines on the way home to go with the instant coffee or tea.

healthymom1

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:42 am
Get takeout.
Chulent is easy to make cuz you just throw it in.
Herring. Liver. Dips.
Salads!!
Salmon takes 25 minutes to cook.
Chicken can take 1.5 hours.
That’s all you need

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
GUESTS 2 hours before licht? And they didn't inform you till Friday morning? Who ARE these rude people? Put a broom in the hand of one, a tablecloth in the hand of the other, and invite them to sweep the floor and set the table for Shabbos. Afterwards, offer instant coffee or tea and some crackers if you have them. Or cereal and milk. In the kitchen. People who barge in on you when you just came home from work 2 hours before licht shouldn't expect to be fed.

Now you're going to say it's your mil and fil and I'm going to have to take it all back. Buy some cake and some clementines on the way home to go with the instant coffee or tea.

And....bingo. Along with some kids.

thank you everyone. I don't need real food maybe I'll just buy cake and fruit but the store is going to be crazy busy at that time help Punch

Prettygirl30

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:52 am
I'm sorry I'm lost there coming to visit or staying for shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:53 am
They just coming to visit not for shabbos.
DH just texted that he found frozen cookie dough in the freezer score yay for kineret cookies.
What else.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:56 am
Nachos and melted cheese and salsa

kineret

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:57 am
Sounds so stressful! Those frozen cookies + coffee or tea is probably plenty. It’s an afternoon snack, not dinner!

Prettygirl30

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 10:57 am
I'm so sorry!!! I dont think ur expected to serve them cookies and coffee is more then enough... do they live close by? Tell them to come tomorrow after the meal ...

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 11:01 am
I’ve had guests ask if they could come 2 hours before shabbos... its okay. I usually just add some potatoes to the cholent and make an extra salad. Depending who and how many ppl I’ll pull something out of the freezer. Last week I had 3 guys Friday night mea last minute and put a frozen brisket into a crockpot with some sauce- Bh it came out delicious 🤷‍♀️

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 11:03 am
Cookies, instant coffee and tea, fruit (easy like grapes, bananas, apples, oranges, etc - whatever you have).

questionanswer

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 11:03 am
Are your in laws in town for a different reason and stopping by to say hi? I don't think they will expect entertaining....though I understand you may like to have your balabusta skills on display, they really just want to visit you.

My in laws do this all the time.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 11:07 am
questionanswer wrote:
Are your in laws in town for a different reason and stopping by to say hi? I don't think they will expect entertaining....though I understand you may like to have your balabusta skills on display, they really just want to visit you.

My in laws do this all the time.

They live far away they are coming to my town for shabbos unexpectedly, but not staying within walking distance of my house. Its true, they really do want to just see the kids, but I have to have something available to serve after a long drive.

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 11:07 am
I've had this happen! Do stew in a crockpot: brown meat and onions and Sausagesin a pan. Or chicken if you don't have meat add to crockpot. Add rice and spices. Set to high. That is your main dish

Make a salad to go with it

amother
Canary

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:29 pm
I wouldn’t stress about it! Of course they want to see your family, and I’m sure they don’t expect anything. I would put out crackers, chumus, fruit, cookies.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics