Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Mushy bottom layer of potato kugel

momof2+?

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 9:33 pm
I make my potato kugel in a blender (like what you would make a smoothie in.) My mother makes it like this and so I started making it like this and now my kids don’t like the consistency of other blades. For some reason I have a bottom layer that comes apart from the bottom of the kugel (after it bakes.) maybe eggs and potato starch? I tried mixing the batter right before I put it in the oven, but it didn’t help. Any ideas? Should I bake it even higher(than 425*) so it has less time to settle? Am I putting in too much eggs/oil? I don’t rlly measure, I pour Smile
5 or 6 eggs in a 9x13.
Any ideas?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 11:51 pm
Are you over processing it or running the machine until it's just mixed?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 11:55 pm
It’s probably eggs
You should measure oil
Do you preheat oven?
If you mix the eggs with the potatoes in the machine it probably won’t happen.

abmom

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:04 am
I have that when I over-blend the eggs.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:13 am
What do you mean by potato starch? Do you put extra starch/flour in your kugel?

momof2+?

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 2:01 pm
I might be over blending. Oven is preheated. (Should I bake it at a higher temperature?) how much oil should I be putting in a 9x13 kugel?

No extra potato starch. Just from the potatoes. First I blend the eggs and onions, then add potatoes, oil and spices. No other liquid in the recipe.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 2:21 pm
That happens to me when I don’t blend it enough. Try blending a bit longer.

naomi2

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 4:00 pm
It's from over blending eggs.
Blend the potatoes and onions and mix by hand with the eggs and salt and pepper. Not sure why you add potato starch, it's not traditionally use din potato kugel.

English3

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 4:58 pm
naomi2 wrote:
It's from over blending eggs.
Blend the potatoes and onions and mix by hand with the eggs and salt and pepper. Not sure why you add potato starch, it's not traditionally use din potato kugel.

Potatoes naturally give out starch. It's very important to put it 8n a hot oven as soon as it's put In the dish. I preheat my oven on high like 200c

chanar

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 8:52 pm
I’ve never experienced what your describing, but this is how I make mine. I put the onion and potatoes into the food processor (a few at a time) until it is chopped small enough but not too mushy..
in a separate bowl I prepare the eggs, oil and spices. As the potatoes are blended I transfer them to that bowl and mix it up by hand until it’s all combined. (I also preheat the 9x13 with a small amount of oil in it) then pour into the hot oiled pan and bake for like 1.5/2 hours on 450
My kids claim there’s nothing like homemade potato kugel!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics