Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pneumococcal vaccine

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:40 pm
Is this only given to babies and older people? Or also to preschoolers?

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 8:18 pm
My 4 yo had to get a booster; they checked his titers and he was low. He had been having a cough the entire winter, and he had pneumonia and bronchitis about once a winter, so we took him to a pulmonologist who checked his titers as part of the workup.

happy chick

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 9:07 pm
the pneumococcal vaccine is not for pulmonary pneumonia or bronchitis. thats viral, for which there is no vaccine. pneumococcal pneumonia is a bacterial form of pneumonia that can come in many stains and can cause meningitis, r"l.

ETA - to answer your question, I dont remember at what age its given, but even if your child is past the recommended age, please give it anyways. its never too late.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 9:18 pm
happy chick wrote:
the pneumococcal vaccine is not for pulmonary pneumonia or bronchitis. thats viral, for which there is no vaccine. pneumococcal pneumonia is a bacterial form of pneumonia that can come in many stains and can cause meningitis, r"l.

ETA - to answer your question, I dont remember at what age its given, but even if your child is past the recommended age, please give it anyways. its never too late.

My child got the pneumococcal vax in the past. I know it’s not a required vaccine, so was wondering if were better off getting a booster. (Will discuss with pediatrician, but well visit is not for another 2 months, so asking experienced moms first Smile )

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 9:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My child got the pneumococcal vax in the past. I know it’s not a required vaccine, so was wondering if were better off getting a booster. (Will discuss with pediatrician, but well visit is not for another 2 months, so asking experienced moms first Smile )

Check titers. Is there a reason you're wondering about a booster?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 9:20 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
My 4 yo had to get a booster; they checked his titers and he was low. He had been having a cough the entire winter, and he had pneumonia and bronchitis about once a winter, so we took him to a pulmonologist who checked his titers as part of the workup.

Oh, interesting. Didn’t know titers get checked for this!
I’ll ask about it then. Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics