Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Didn't pee for last 16 hrs
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:10 am
Hi,
My baby is 3 days old and didn't have a wet diaper in the last 16 hrs that I'm aware of. Baby did have dirty diapers inbetween. I exclusively breastfeed and seems like it gets satisfied although I didn't have yet any feeling/pain of milk coming in. If I hand express hard enough there will be some milk leaking. Anyone had this? Please help!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:12 am
Are you sure that baby didn't have wet diapers? Are you using diapers with wetness indicators? Or weighing diapers? Babies that small tend to pee very small amounts, so diaper may not feel wet or very heavy.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:12 am
Mazel tov!
Are you absolutely sure the pee didn't mix in with the poop? Or maybe baby peed in the bath?
If you're absolutely sure I would contact a dr.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:15 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Are you sure that baby didn't have wet diapers? Are you using diapers with wetness indicators? Or weighing diapers? Babies that small tend to pee very small amounts, so diaper may not feel wet or very heavy.

Using the one with the wetness indicators. I've also double checked with my finger to make sure if feels wet or not.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:18 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Mazel tov!
Are you absolutely sure the pee didn't mix in with the poop? Or maybe baby peed in the bath?
If you're absolutely sure I would contact a dr.

No baths yet. It'll take another few hours till I can contact the doctor and this is making me so nervous!! He's having alot of gas pain, wonder if it's related..

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No baths yet. It'll take another few hours till I can contact the doctor and this is making me so nervous!! He's having alot of gas pain, wonder if it's related..

Can you pump and give a bottle so you see how much he gets?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:25 am
Can you put a tissue in the diaper? Babies pee only a tiny amount, like a tablespoon or less, and diapers are VERY absorbent. Plus, if baby is pooping chances are they are peeing too...

But it will get more when the milk comes in fully. My milk tends to take a little longer.

Success10

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:28 am
In the hospital, the baby did make a wet diaper? This is something they check for in the first 24 hours after birth.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:30 am
I had this concern with my newborn too. Pediatrician told me that it’s extremely rare for baby to get dehydrated. Advised me to give a 2 oz bottle and baby would pee half hour to hour afterwards

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:30 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Can you put a tissue in the diaper? Babies pee only a tiny amount, like a tablespoon or less, and diapers are VERY absorbent. Plus, if baby is pooping chances are they are peeing too...

But it will get more when the milk comes in fully. My milk tends to take a little longer.

Good idea to put a tissue. Thanks.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:31 am
Success10 wrote:
In the hospital, the baby did make a wet diaper? This is something they check for in the first 24 hours after birth.

Yes, they told me they changed him diapers.

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:40 am
My doctor told me if my baby didn't have a wet diaper in a certain time frame- I don't remember what but definitely less than sixteen hours- I should run to the emergency room. I don't want to scare you just telling you what I was told recently.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:03 am
How is baby feeling?

listless/tired?

sunken eyes?

excessive crying?

or is baby alert and content?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:10 am
That can be an emergency and you may have to give formula. Call your doctor.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:14 am
I had this. It was an Emergency and we had to give formula. Baby was not getting food. Please call doctor Emergency number ASAP

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:15 am
This happened to my oldest . We ended up going to the pediatrician , a day after coming home from the hospital and we were sent to the ER. This was due to a high bilirubin. We waited about 24 hours before contacting the doctor . My baby then had to be put under a blue light and drink formula for a few days while I pumped. He had to be checked the following day at the ER to make sure things improved . B”H all was fine afterward. His bris was on time as well.
** please make sure to have someone with you to support you if you end up going to the hospital . It was very hard for me to watch my newborn being inserted with catheters and the nurses trying to find veins to prick him for blood.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:17 am
Give baby some formula. He probably isn’t getting enough from you. I didn’t realize my supply was so low and milk hadn’t rly come in!

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:17 am
NICU nurse here, it is likely that your baby is not getting much milk (poor latch, your milk didn't come in fully yet). Babies should have frequent wet diapers (8+) in 24 hours so 16 hours dry is ALARMING. Unless you can pump and determine that baby is getting sufficient volume, please supplement with formula ASAP. You are catching this early but waiting for milk to come in, or to speak to doctor in a few hours or more hours to see if this resolves are wasting this critical time where you can be taking steps to resolve this.

Pat yourself on the back for being so attentive to your baby! If my post sounds harsh, it is only because I have your baby's best interests at heart and wish for you to avoid having to take him to the ER.

We often get admissions like this, dehydrated babies from home exclusively breastfeeding. I'm pro breastfeeding but please give some formula to avoid a trip to the hospital.

SYA

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:35 am
With my first the nurses told me exclusively nursing is enough but my baby wouldn't stop crying. My aunt cane to visit and she took one look and told me to keep trying to nurse to help the milk come in quicker but to give formula in between until the milk comes in. She said the baby was hungry and contrary to what the nurses were saying, baby needed formula to supplement. She gave a bottle so I could rest and baby was quiet within a few minutes and finally slept for over an hour.

Until your milk fully comes in please supplement. You can still exclusively nurse once your milk comes in fully.

clowny

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:06 am
Op, My milk never comes in before 5-7 days after birth and I must supplement. This is probably what’s happening now. Please give your baby 2 oz of formula after each feeding until your milk comes in fully.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics