Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Anyone heard of moldy cholent?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 10:37 pm
It was in they croc pot set at the same number as every week. And when I went to get it durring I saw mold growing

momof2+?

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 10:39 pm
When did you cook your cholent? Mold doesn’t grow in 20 hours.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 10:57 pm
momof2+? wrote:
When did you cook your cholent? Mold doesn’t grow in 20 hours.
friday afternoon

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 11:01 pm
What color was the mold? Was it mold or scum that gathers when the cooking temperature is too low? Was it more liquidy than usual (evidence that it didn't cook on a high enough temp)? Maybe your crockpot needs replacing.
Or maybe the beans or meat were off and cooking them really did give off mold.

hodeez

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 11:02 pm
I don't think it was mold

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 11:13 pm
hodeez wrote:
I don't think it was mold
the thing smelled like mold

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 2:08 am
OP, mold does not grow that fast from friday to shabbat. Maybe something was rotten that you had put in, without knowing that it had gone off, but mold does not grow that fast.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 2:12 am
Yes!!! For my son's bar mitzva, we set up 2 crock pots(the big ones!) One of them was set on a too low temperature and I guess just warm enough to make it moldy faster! On shabbos morning, it was smelly and moldy! Not fun!
Your crockpot is probably broken!!!
Eta: the ingredients were the same in both chulent so I know it is possible!!!

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:57 am
Whether it was mold or fungus or bacteria or something else doesn’t matter. This isn’t a microbiology lab. The fact is the food spoiled and was unsafe to eat, apparently because the appliance malfunctioned. If it was connected to an extension cord, it could have been a faulty cord. Or a faulty plug or a faulty outlet.

Mom/Bubby/Morah

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 9:04 am
Absolutely ! And it can for sure happen overnight. It used to happen sometimes in our bungalow and I think it’s because the power was somewhat weaker and required a higher setting. If it happened in the city we saw that the plug was slightly out or if not, figured it was time for a new crockpot.
It smells foul and you can see scum on top .

octopus

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 9:06 am
Yuck! Time for a new crockpot!

Success10

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 9:08 am
I've heard of this once. A cousin bought cholent from the store and left it on the plata overnight.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 10:16 am
As crockpots age, the heating element slowly gets weaker and weaker. Same thing with a plata. It's a very tricky balance between having hot food for Shabbos, and giving your friends and family food poisoning.

When in doubt, throw it out!

This actually happened to me once. I put up a lovely meal, and the next morning there was a layer of fur on top of the cholent. The smell was horrible. We had no other prepared food in the house, and we were starving.

DD and I sheepishly went to a neighbor, told them what happened, and sort of invited ourselves for lunch. We didn't know what else to do!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note