Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Acting different in school

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:05 am
I’m wondering if anyone can help me.
My daughter acts hyper and wild in school and looks for negative attention while at home she seems mostly calm and content.
Previous years teachers have told me that she might have some ot issues but I brushed it aside bec to me she seemed to be doing great at home. I always blamed it on not having a stable year such as an inexperienced teacher or having a teacher out a lot for maternity leave or for laying. This year however it’s hitting me that maybe she acts really different at school than home.
I am getting lately a glimpse here and there at her wild behavior. Even though I’m not getting to see how she acts in school at all times I am starting to understand what the teachers were saying all along.
Anyone has any insights on this?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:30 am
Bump

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 9:45 am
Could be different expectations at home vs at school.
Could also be used to a lot more individualized attention at home vs being 1 of a big class at school.
Could be socialization issues, maybe she needs guidance with interacting with peers or making friends.
Or maybe something else.
If this is a pattern for a few years at school, not just 1 year with a specific teacher, I'd listen to what the school has to say.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 9:53 am
That’s what I’m realizing. Obviously if this is how she’s acting in school there’s something up. Thought someone has/had similar experience w a child or therapist who can give me more insights on this issue. I want to start my research now.
I do want to give it another month or so. If there’s no improvement I’d like to get her help. Now I need to decide what type of help to get.
One of her teachers mentioned reflex integration…Does she feel unsafe in the school environment… is this trauma related? The first year in school she had an inexperienced teacher who didn’t know how to deal w her.
She’s one of my tamer children so…
Trying to get my thoughts together and how to proceed from here.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 10:01 am
See if you can get an evaluation done by a school psychologist. Does the school have one, or can they give you a referral?
I doubt it's trauma related, if so, she most likely would have been acting out at home, too.
The way you describe her acting out for negative attention only at school seems likely to be related to having trouble socializing with peers and wanting to make friends. At least, based on your op.
I wouldn't wait a month. If this has been going on for a few years, it's best to start sooner rather than later to get her the help she needs to be successful and happy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 11:03 am
Thanks for replying. She actually went out for social skills sessions last year and also started recently this year w someone else. Was wondering it was more than just social skills issues. Oh well… guess I’ll need to feel it out then
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children