Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Didn't pee for last 16 hrs
Previous  1  2

pause

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 10:58 am
Your milk didn't come in yet. If you keep letting baby suck, milk will come in faster. I would be in touch with the pediatrician.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 11:17 am
clowny wrote:
Op, My milk never comes in before 5-7 days after birth and I must supplement. This is probably what’s happening now. Please give your baby 2 oz of formula after each feeding until your milk comes in fully.

This. And also call the pediatrician re the baby.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 12:21 pm
Thank you all. I wasn't aware that milk doesn't come in right away. Bh this morning I noticed my breasts engorged and baby wet his diaper!! He's also sleeping better since. ( I also heard it's important to drink water cause that turns into milk, which I haven't really)

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
My baby is 3 days old and didn't have a wet diaper in the last 16 hrs that I'm aware of. Baby did have dirty diapers inbetween. I exclusively breastfeed and seems like it gets satisfied although I didn't have yet any feeling/pain of milk coming in. If I hand express hard enough there will be some milk leaking. Anyone had this? Please help!

If your milk came in you would know & feel it! Wink You wrote your baby seems like it is satisfied. Is that because it is sleeping nicely? That could also be a sign of energy conservation. Basically, if baby doesn't get enough food it will save it's energy by sleeping a lot. This will happen during feedings too. Is baby swallowing while eating or just sucking? If baby spends more calories sucking then the amount of calories it consumes from nursing it will fall asleep quickly during a feeding. This is a survival tactic. The tissue in the diaper is excellent advice. Also, hand express milk from both sides every hour and a half in addition to nursing. Feed it to your baby with a syringe like the kind that comes in an infant Tylenol box. Make sure to drink tons, rest, and skin to skin contact with baby as much as possible. All this will hopefully help your milk come in faster. Mazel tov!

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all. I wasn't aware that milk doesn't come in right away. Bh this morning I noticed my breasts engorged and baby wet his diaper!! He's also sleeping better since. ( I also heard it's important to drink water cause that turns into milk, which I haven't really)

BH! My baby was so sleepy, and dr told me it’s because he was hungry and didn’t have energy to wake up and cry Sad I drank Powerade and it helped a lot, pumped after every feeding and fed him the bottles too. Finally after 2 weeks we got to a good place! Hatzlacha with the journey!!

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:03 pm
One thing I find that helps a lot with milk supply is drinking lots of whole milk. They say you don't need to drink milk to make milk, but I always found this to work actually. I think it's the hydration, fat/calories, and protein that help with milk supply and production.

pause

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:05 pm
I will reiterate what the other posters said that sleeping better is not necessarily a good sign. You want baby feeding often, not more than 2-2.5 hours from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next. (Later on, once your supply is established and baby is settled in better, you might be able to increase the time between feedings.) Right now baby needs to nurse often and also baby should stay awake throughout a feeding, at least 20 minutes. Wake up baby for feeds and keep checking those diapers.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:07 pm
pause wrote:
I will reiterate what the other posters said that sleeping better is not necessarily a good sign. You want baby feeding often, not more than 2-2.5 hours from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next. (Later on, once your supply is established and baby is settled in better, you might be able to increase the time between feedings.) Right now baby needs to nurse often and also baby should stay awake throughout a feeding, at least 20 minutes. Wake up baby for feeds and keep checking those diapers.

Every baby is different. Mine never fed for more than 5 minutes at a time.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:37 pm
pause wrote:

I agree with this too, except I would say don't go more then 1 to 1 1/2 hours from the BEGINNING of one feeding to the next, for a new baby that needs to increase your supply. Yes that means nurse, express, feed express milk, grab a bite to eat/drink, bathroom trip and start again. It is a nursing marathon and try to do it from your bed/room so you get as much relaxation as you are able to while keeping this intense schedule up. Once baby is gaining nicely and has caught up weight wise, you can go 1 1/2 to 2 hours between feedings with 1 or 2 feedings a day having a 3 hour stretch. Yes, they need that much around the clock feedings! They shouldn't take more then 20 minutes or so to complete a feed. So, if you find it takes like 45 minutes that is a warning something is off, and baby isn't able to transfer milk efficiently. It means baby is resting and not actively nursing to conserve energy. One other important thing is have baby nurse on both sides A FEW TIMES per session, at least 2 times per side, per session. So when baby goes into sleep mode switch sides. Some times after baby has had some expressed milk it will give them a little energy to nurse without immediately falling asleep so you can try nursing yet again after giving them expressed milk. The key to getting this whole thing to work is having your goal of the day all about this. As much as you can, have someone take over the running of the house. You can do this!!! Have a lactation consultant check if the baby is latching on properly and that there are no issues like lip or tongue tie.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:48 pm
I also have a 3 day old and I feel like he hasn't been getting enough from nursing so I've been supplementing an ounce or 2 after each feeding and I see this satisfies him. hopefully as my milk comes in, this will work itself out.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 2:37 pm
If I would have read this thread postpartum, I would have been a wreck. I had a midwife coming to check up on me after a few days (they do that in England) and she was totally fine with the fact that my baby was only feeding for a short amount at a time. My second baby did similar too. Yes, OP has to make sure he's getting enough milk, but she doesn't need to drive herself crazy like posters are pushing for here.

Again, each baby is different. What was needed for yours, isn't necessarily needed for OP's.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 2:50 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
If I would have read this thread postpartum, I would have been a wreck. I had a midwife coming to check up on me after a few days (they do that in England) and she was totally fine with the fact that my baby was only feeding for a short amount at a time. My second baby did similar too. Yes, OP has to make sure he's getting enough milk, but she doesn't need to drive herself crazy like posters are pushing for here.

Again, each baby is different. What was needed for yours, isn't necessarily needed for OP's.

The point that everyone is worried about that indicates there is an issue that needs addressing is that baby has had a dry diaper for 16 hours! This could lead to dehydration and too much weight loss very quickly in a baby. They don't weigh that much to begin with as it is!

A healthy output indicates a healthy input. So if your baby's diapers were ok, then whatever you were doing to feed your baby was working for you. This isn't the case with the op. Hopefully now that her milk is coming in things will change quickly for the better!

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 2:50 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:

The problem is the diapers.

And the answer isn’t feeding every hour. But yes monitoring the diaper and either supplementing at home or going to the ER and being given the formula there.

Bh your milk came in and the baby made. When I had this with my daughter (we went to the ER) I was told another day and she could’ve been seizing etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:21 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
BH! My baby was so sleepy, and dr told me it’s because he was hungry and didn’t have energy to wake up and cry Sad I drank Powerade and it helped a lot, pumped after every feeding and fed him the bottles too. Finally after 2 weeks we got to a good place! Hatzlacha with the journey!!

Poor baby!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:29 pm
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
If your milk came in you would know & feel it! Wink You wrote your baby seems like it is satisfied. Is that because it is sleeping nicely? That could also be a sign of energy conservation. Basically, if baby doesn't get enough food it will save it's energy by sleeping a lot. This will happen during feedings too. Is baby swallowing while eating or just sucking? If baby spends more calories sucking then the amount of calories it consumes from nursing it will fall asleep quickly during a feeding. This is a survival tactic. The tissue in the diaper is excellent advice. Also, hand express milk from both sides every hour and a half in addition to nursing. Feed it to your baby with a syringe like the kind that comes in an infant Tylenol box. Make sure to drink tons, rest, and skin to skin contact with baby as much as possible. All this will hopefully help your milk come in faster. Mazel tov!

Thank you for your helpful advice. I feel so horrible learning such a simple thing as supplementing to avoid all this. Bh today went well with the wet/dirty diapers, burping, and sleeping! Now I have plenty of milk which I'll need to hand express.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics