Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah dough mixers

alrl13

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:11 am
Hi ladies, I think after 15 years of not making great challah it’s time for me to get a challah dough mixer. I would love the Bosch but it’s way too expensive.

Is there any good brands (that hold a lot of dough - big quantities at a time) that are less then $100??

I’ve tried looking on Amazon but honestly I’m sooo confused with all the options and I don’t know which ones are big enough to make the amount of dough that I would like each time.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:47 am
Less than $100? Maybe a large stainless bowl and hand mixer with dough hook? But kneading by hand shouldn't be harder. Hatzlacha!

scruffy

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:51 am
How many lb of flour are you planning to use? You need a 6 qt bowl to fit 5 lb flour (and that's a bit snug).

alrl13

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:59 am
scruffy wrote:
How many lb of flour are you planning to use? You need a 6 qt bowl to fit 5 lb flour (and that's a bit snug).

Yes 5 lbs! Good to know, ty!

zaq

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:01 am
Highly unlikely you’ll find a mixer that big and powerful for that price unless you buy it used.

alrl13

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:27 am
I think I found a few options based off the advice above. Thanks so much ladies!

scruffy

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:29 am
alrl13 wrote:
I think I found a few options based off the advice above. Thanks so much ladies!

Check out the reviews - I tried taking a look at some stand mixers on Amazon. If reviews list "lightweight" as a pro, that means it probably won't be able to handle challah dough.

alrl13

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:39 am
scruffy wrote:
Check out the reviews - I tried taking a look at some stand mixers on Amazon. If reviews list "lightweight" as a pro, that means it probably won't be able to handle challah dough.

Good idea!

cholentfan1

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 10:23 am
Make sure it has a powerful motor. I know when I was looking, I considered the kitchen aid mixers (love the look of them) but most of them are very low motors, which means the motor will burn out quickly with a challah dough. I couldn't afford to buy the full sized bosch so instead I just got a smaller sized bosch and it works really well. I have to do more than one batch for a lot of challos but most of the time it's fine.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:25 pm
bread machine. for really big recipes, run 2 cycles

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:28 pm
You're not going to find anything at that price that will handle challah dough and last. Is there a reason you don't want to just make it by hand? I have an expensive machine that handles 5lbs of dough and I prefer to make it by hand anyway.

987gold

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:28 pm
I have my bosch for 15 years and replaced parts here and there. So to use on a steady basis, which I do, you will get your monies worth. Think again. Its an investment. Not telling you what to do. But I squeeze in at least 7-8 pounds of flour!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads