Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Going back to school in your thirties

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:36 pm
I am seriously considering going back to school. I am in my mid thirties and have 5 kids ages newborn thru 9. I work 9-4 at a low pressure job and can probably squeeze in time to do school work at work. Schooling would be Sunday and evenings with the exception of field work. I would do it slow taking hopefully two classes per semester instead of full time which is 4. Did anyone do this? How hard was it? Any
Advice for me?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:40 pm
depends on the program

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:43 pm
I did this. It's hard, but fulfilling and it gave a me a tremendous increase in my income, since I was able to change careers. I also did it slowly. If you are able to put in time Sundays and some evenings, it's doable.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:12 pm
OMG! my dream!
I have 6 kids aged 7 months-12. I dream of doing something in the medical field, though, which I suspect can't just be done at my own slow pace...
I currently work but plan on closing my business at the end of this school year. Although I'm closing because I'm completely burnt out and overwhelmed, I really think that my passion for medicine would give me the stamina to work. But I'm not so sure about making it through schooling...

mommy100

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:14 pm
I did it with one child but then had four more while I was in school the next six years. I would only recommend it if you have a very very strong support system behind you. It’s hard but worth it if you can pull it off

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:16 pm
I started college at 42. I went full time (15 semester hours a week in a regular college program), but I was only working part time. Best decision I ever made, and I'm now finished and iyh will have a career.

You might want to start with just one class to get your feet wet and see it its doable for you though....

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:20 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
OMG! my dream!
I have 6 kids aged 7 months-12. I dream of doing something in the medical field, though, which I suspect can't just be done at my own slow pace...
I currently work but plan on closing my business at the end of this school year. Although I'm closing because I'm completely burnt out and overwhelmed, I really think that my passion for medicine would give me the stamina to work. But I'm not so sure about making it through schooling...

Would you consider nursing school? You can definitely do that slowly. Even PA school, you can do the undergraduate degree slowly as well.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:24 pm
PA would be my dream. How long is schooling? I only have a GED. I never looked into it because I always had in mind that it's too much for now and I'd look into it once my kids are all in elementary and no more on the way...

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:29 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
PA would be my dream. How long is schooling? I only have a GED. I never looked into it because I always had in mind that it's too much for now and I'd look into it once my kids are all in elementary and no more on the way...

You can always start your undergraduate degree slowly, so that by the time your youngest is in school you're positioned to start PA school. This is not the track I took, so I don't really know that much about it, but you can call tti for info, or you can network with people who have done this.

Hatzlachah!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics