Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Dallas- What to do there?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 9:17 pm
We're going to be there for a short visit.

Name the top 3 must-do or must-see in the area.

Also any outstanding kosher eateries or restaurants (dairy or meat).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 12:56 pm
bump

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:07 pm
I went to the cowgirl museum with my baby
my dh was in school in dallas for a bit

I liked it
its a small museum

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:09 pm
I haven't been there in years so I don't know the restaurant scene, but I grew up there and there's really not much touristy stuff to do. If you want to drive to Ft. Worth which is around an hour away the Stockyards are interesting. Also if you are into history, the 6th Floor Mueseum is where Kennedy was shot from. The Galleria Mall is nice and big, and has ice skating.

If you happen to be coming when the State Fair is then that's actually a lot of fun. And on the Fair Grounds are a bunch of mueseums including the Science Center and Woman's Mueseum. Otherwise Dallas is a pretty boring place to visit.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:09 pm
Most restaurants in Dallas are meat but The Market is fabulous for dairy. It's a brunch place that markets itself to the general population.

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:40 pm
Milk and Honey is a great fleishy place
Aderet is also good
Midtown pizza is good too
And there are more too.

Perot Museum was interesting
Theres a holocaust museum
Southfork ranch has tours (from tv show Dallas)
Ripley believe it or not museum- in Grand Prairie (btw Dallas and the airport)

DallasIma

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:59 pm
Welcome! Here is a list of kosher restaurants in Dallas. Please note that Meat Point is no longer certified kosher by the Vaad.
https://www.dallaskosher.org/restaurants
The Sixth Floor Museum (downtown) is very interesting if you like that kind of stuff - it's all about the assassination of President Kennedy. We've been there twice.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:23 pm
Milk and honey is a fleishig place? Funny...

We're not being there long enough to make it worthwhile to travel an hour to ft. worth.

anything else other than jfk musuem?
Is the reunion tower interesting?
any jewish points of interest?

DallasIma

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We're not being there long enough to make it worthwhile to travel an hour to ft. worth.

anything else other than jfk musuem?
Is the reunion tower interesting?
any jewish points of interest?

I know, it is funny. Milk and Honey is called that because they carry a lot of Israeli products. I think originally they didn't have a lunch counter, but they've had one for many years and it's always been fleishig.

I've never been to the Reunion Tower so I can't say. Other than just the shuls and places like that, we really don't have any Jewish points of interest that I'm aware of.

Oh, one other place is the Dallas Arboretum. You can Google it. Right now we're still having very mild-to-warm weather and that's a lovely place to visit and stroll around. There is also a Dallas zoo (I've never been to it). Both are in the downtown area.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:35 pm
the zoo doesn't come up on tripadvisor's top 15 but an aquarium does.
Thanks dallasima!

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes. I laugh about this all the time.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:48 pm
another question which I thought we'll figure out once we're there but easier to get info in advance if y'all can help me:
we would want to buy ready food for shabbos. what's our best takeout option for typical heimish shabbos food?

DallasIma

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 3:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
another question which I thought we'll figure out once we're there but easier to get info in advance if y'all can help me:
we would want to buy ready food for shabbos. what's our best takeout option for typical heimish shabbos food?

There are a number of caterers offering menu options, but my go-to takeout place is Kosher Palate (Belt Line at Coit - you can Google them). You can get some limited takeout at the Tom Thumb at 1380 Coit Road or the Tom Thumb at Preston/Forest (depending which neighborhood you're staying in) but Kosher Palate usually has everything you'd want.

Have a happy stay in our neck of the woods!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 6:14 am
DallasIma wrote:
There are a number of caterers offering menu options, but my go-to takeout place is Kosher Palate (Belt Line at Coit - you can Google them). You can get some limited takeout at the Tom Thumb at 1380 Coit Road or the Tom Thumb at Preston/Forest (depending which neighborhood you're staying in) but Kosher Palate usually has everything you'd want.

Have a happy stay in our neck of the woods!

thank you! YOu've been so helpful!

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 9:35 am
Reunion tower is fun! I also enjoyed the arboretum, zoo, and aquarium.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 7:00 pm
Any suggestions for a clean and comfortable hotel, not too pricey, near a shul?

doctorima

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 7:44 pm
There's a Holiday Inn 1.2 miles from Ohr HaTorah. Cooper Hotel and Spa is only .5 miles, but may be more expensive.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 7:48 pm
doctorima wrote:
There's a Holiday Inn 1.2 miles from Ohr HaTorah. Cooper Hotel and Spa is only .5 miles, but may be more expensive.

Thanks! I found those on the shul’s website. Have you been to either hotel? Were they clean? Also, do you know if they are close to any of the kosher restaurants?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 8:51 pm
We stayed at the Cooper Hotel and had a great experience. It's a beautiful, well-kept hotel. I can answer any of your questions. You can find lots of kosher within 10 minute car drive, some things closer, some things farther.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We stayed at the Cooper Hotel and had a great experience. It's a beautiful, well-kept hotel. I can answer any of your questions. You can find lots of kosher within 10 minute car drive, some things closer, some things farther.

Thanks! Cooper is booked.
Anyone have reviews on:
Double Tree near the Galleria
Holiday Inn
Hilton Hotel Lincoln Centre
??
Looking for clean and comfortable. Don’t need luxurious. All these 3 are close drive to shuls
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics