Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you live in a small apartment or NYC style attached house
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:33 pm
Where do you keep your appliances like toaster, kitchen aid, bread machine and food processor?

We have very limited counter space.

Also coffee, do you have a coffee station?

chili-n-cholent

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:48 pm
I have a big closet down the hall from my kitchen that I converted to a pantry. Every time I need mymixer or food processor I take it off the shelf and to the kitchen table (not enough counter space...)
My toaster is also there, I end up using it much less as I hate shleping it. I have a pizza maker I keep under my sink and I end up using that more.
My microwave is kept on top of my fridge and I stand on a stool each time I need to use it.
Apartment living at its best!
And no room for a coffee station, I keep a little pot on my stove to cook up water rather than have the prime real estate on my counter get filled up with a percolator.

Last edited by chili-n-cholent on Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:02 pm
We’d don’t have all that stuff!!

Kitchen aid is on the counter; I use it weekly.

Keurig is on the counter. It’s small. It’s next to the urn that also stays out

No food processor (I have a mini chop and kitchen aid attachments instead) or bread machine

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:04 pm
We had joint kitchen and diningroom. we put a small extra table in a corner. On the table was my toaster, coffee station, dish drain, fruit bowl. All random appliances went under the table.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:04 pm
you can mount some appliances under cabinets. some we stored on the floor or on shelves we put up where we could. we definitely didn't have a coffee station!!!!!!

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:15 pm
Big closet in one of the bedrooms Can't Believe It but you get used to it... I barely had room for anything in the kitchen and somehow we survived 😅

imanotmommy

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:19 pm
The toaster oven lives on the washing machine, and moves to the table when it's time to do laundry. Don't have any of the others

tp3

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:20 pm
No room. I've thrown out a bread machine, microwave, grill. Gave away a crockpot. No mixer, I mix by hand.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:21 pm
Actually coffee maker was always on the counter along with the knives set... everything else away in the closet

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:46 pm
I keep small appliances to a minimum. Toaster installed under cabinet. Decide between bread machine and mixer. One shelf in cabinet for coffee station.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:53 pm
Small appliances is in that awkward corner cabinet.

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:16 pm
Limit your appliances to those you actually use.

Only keep appliances on the counter that you use everyday like a coffeemaker. A toaster oven instead of a toaster. Any other appliances like KA or food processor are stored away in a closet and the kitchen cabinets are used for those items that are used frequently.

I have a Nespresso so it is easy to set it up outside if my immediate kitchen on the buffet built in that runs along the wall of my dining area.

For awhile I had a bar cart type of thing which I kept just outside of the actual kitchen in the dining area which held surplus appliances. They range from "carts" that look like cabinets to ones that are simple shelving. Just google "kitchen cart" and a bunch of possibilities come up. They are somewhat like portable kitchen islands.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

scintilla

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:46 pm
Don't have a toaster, toaster oven has been either on my counter, on a shelf we installed above the counter (so I had counter space still underneath) or on top of the fridge! Don't have a lot of small appliances, only what I really use.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:51 pm
Thanks for all the responses. I'm bad with figuring out how to use space but it sounds like there really is no magical solution!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:15 pm
Don’t own all that!

I have a food processor, a Bosch, and a Betty Crocker (which serves many purposes). Threw away some pots I was never ever using. We cook water for coffee in a pot when we need some.

I refuse to get any more kitchen stuff. We manage with what we have.

etky

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 12:16 am
Medium sized/typical Israeli kitchen here:
Microwave is built in over the oven.
Crock-pot in cabinet over the fridge. Awkward to reach but we only use it 5 or 6 times a year, in the winter.
Got rid of bread machine when I got a larger Kenwood that can handle bread dough. The mixer and some other small appliances lives in an Ikea cart that I keep right outside the kitchen, in a room that used to be a play/computer room when the kids were younger but is now half study/half extra kitchen storage. I also have an extra pantry there for groceries/paper goods and I keep the toaster oven in this room too except when it is in (occasional) use on the kitchen counter.
Food processor which I use often is in one of my main kitchen cabinets on a pull out drawer with other cooking/baking equipment.
No coffee station. We drink instant coffee (gasp). We have a regular electric kettle which is the only thing that is allowed to live on the kitchen counter because it is probably the most frequently used item in my kitchen (for cooking too..).
No filtered water bar that has become very common now on Israeli kitchen counters. We do get מי עדן for which we have a stand but that is in a hallway outside the kitchen.
I'm kind of interested in exploring air fryers and instant pots (though not sure this is available here) but then I remember that they have to be stored somewhere Sad

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 5:22 am
Where you have little space, you have to set priorities and decide what you can do without. My kitchen counter is about three feet long and half of that is taken up by the microwave. It's only about a foot high--just enough height to slide in a small microwave. No other appliances. The building is a century old and the counter was meant for a breadbox.

Coffee station? Don't make me laugh. A charming idea but completely unnecessary. This is a home, not a hotel. Coffees and teas sit in the kitchen cabinet above the microwave and squeezed next to the milchik dishes. Everyone knows where they are. The coffee pot is kept in a cabinet and taken down on the rare occasions that we have enough company to justify using it. The Stand mixer lives on a kitchen stool right outside the kitchen because there is zero room for it anywhere in the kitchen. The counter has too low a ceiling and there are no spare corners. A friend of mine keeps hers under the kitchen table but our table is narrow and people would be stubbing their toes on it any time they straightened their legs, to say nothing of what lifting this ball and chain from floor level would do to my back. When I use it I haul it in to the kitchen and put it on the table, then return it when finished. The food processor--which I didn't buy but inherited --is kept in a cabinet that's mildly inaccessible and is taken down only when I really need to use it. Most of my food "Processing" is done by hand unless I'm cooking for a crowd. Blender, stick blender also in the same mildly inaccessible cabinet above the fridge. Yes, I spend a lot of time climbing up and down. When you can't grow sideways you have to grow UP. That's why Manhattan looks the way it does.

Toaster lives on the kitchen table. For Shabbos it gets stashed in the microwave.

You have a coffeemaker AND bread machine AND a stand mixer AND a food processor? Why?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 5:29 am
tp3 wrote:
No room. I've thrown out a bread machine, microwave, grill. Gave away a crockpot. No mixer, I mix by hand.

Me too.
I have a kitchen machine, a shabbes urn out and a dairy toaster oven out.
A shabbes plate is under the sink.
I don't own a bread machine, a kitchen aid, got rid of the microwave. I put my crockpot away for now . I mix challa dough by hand.

imaima

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 5:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I'm bad with figuring out how to use space but it sounds like there really is no magical solution!

Some of the devices can replace each other.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 6:31 am
You have to figure out which small appliances are a priority for you. You will find space for what's important, even if it means you store it in a back bedroom closet. Personally, I made space for my Bosch challah mixer, Braun food processor, hand mixer, hand blender, Betty Crocker pizza maker, and Crock-Pot. A percolator and large toaster oven are kept on my counter, and we have an over-the-range microwave. We store a hotplate vertically behind our freezer.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen