Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is the pediatrician right about my daughter? Re ADHD
Previous  1  2

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 6:53 am
OP, you describe my dd to a T. She definitely has adhd and is doing so well being treated for it.
She too does fine in school and is a teacher's dream.
Turns out she does space out a lot during the day, but because she's kah so bright she can compensate. She participates here and there so the teachers don't pick up on it.
I feel like I could have written your post.
She is bh doing so well on the adhd treatment.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 6:56 am
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
I didn't read the entire thread, but it seems like an important piece was not discussed. Most people use the general term ADHD, but there is also a disorder called ADD, without the hyperactivity factor. Those with the ADD profile are much harder to detect. They are not disruptive in school and may appear to be listening, but are actually spacing in and out. High interest subjects are easier for them to maintain focus. They can also be very bright and compensate for the material they missed. I have many years of experience working with school age girls and have a Ds with ADD and one with ADHD. Their symptoms were different, yet they are both on the same meds. Please don't disregard the possibility of ADD just because their are no behavior issue in the classroom.

ADD is now called ADHD inattentive, which falls under ADHD. There is no longer a diagnosis of ADD

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 7:16 am
What they said, pretty much all of it. I was one of those missed diagnoses because people are too stuck in one way of seeing it. Also, many kids with ADHD are exceptionally smart, so they can appear to be doing well in school when really they are underperforming according to their potential.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics